Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 08:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/149/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi all! How are you? I have a confession. I had one glass of wine yesterday. I know I have no excuse, but my sister is in the hospital and was crying because her soon to be ex-husband was harassing her...I'm on the other side of the country from her and was really sad. The good news is is that is all I had. I still followed the diet and exercise plan and am back on today. I was thinking of making today day 1 again instead of day 7 because of it. I have a wedding on the 19th so this would give me a solid 2 weeks and a few days. Anyway that is my confession.

Question - I received the DVD and was thrilled. I did it this morning at 5 AM and was disappointed. He moved through them quickly and it was good to only take 45 minutes instead of 1 1/2 hours like it was taking me, but he didn't do all the reps and sets as in his book. It was still tough but I thought a bit easier! Anyone agree?

Also one more question. I have a 5K race this sunday (trying to motivate myself to be a "runner" again) However, my runs have been painful and slow due to low energy and sore muscles. Does anyone think it would be okay to take in a few carbs...say an apple right before the race? I know it's ONLY 3.1 miles but I would like to run it fast. What do you think? thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 08:58

Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful15

Also one more question. I have a 5K race this sunday (trying to motivate myself to be a "runner" again) However, my runs have been painful and slow due to low energy and sore muscles. Does anyone think it would be okay to take in a few carbs...say an apple right before the race? I know it's ONLY 3.1 miles but I would like to run it fast. What do you think? thanks!

I say eat the apple about 1/2 hour before you start. Also, make sure you suppliment with some potassium. That should help with sore legs.
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 09:23
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/115 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi Hopeful,

Please try not to beat yourself up about 1 glass of wine. I know it is a disappointing feeling but remember...we are all human. This is a tough diet and 1 glass of wine is not going to wipe away all of the work you have done. If you feel like you would want to start fresh on day 1 then I see no problem in doing that. But don't do it out of guilt from the wine...do it because you feel good and you only want to feel better on this plan! Keep that wedding date as a constant reminder and motivation...use it as your goal. Allow yourself that day to reward all of your hard work with something OTHER than food. Maybe buy a new dress or a bag or go get a massage. Something that you enjoy!

A few thoughts on your running question...I would stick out the plan as said. I think you will be surprised how efficient your running becomes as your body adapts to running on fuel other than immediate acting carbohydrates. Trust me, you have enough fuel to run a marathon without injesting a high glycemic carb. I would recommend increasing your calorie count a few days before the race and maybe add a bit more healthy fat- some olive oil or 1 egg yolk. That might provide you with an extra jolt the morning of the race.
  #109   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 09:58
Registered Member

Plan: Lean For Life
Stats: 151.4/140.4/125 Female 63 inches
BF:34%/25%/20%
Progress: 42%

HI Everyone!To fitgal-I LOVE Designer Whey!!I't tastes SO Good!It's considered one of the best out there and with only two carbs per scoop!I even did the math to check the accuracy .I drink it plain(chocolate)with 2 scoops and 2 cups cold cold water.Blend it good and to me it's a great shake!Very filling!
To Hopeful I'm sorry to read about your sis.You are doing great sticking to your plan.I know what it's like to feel guilty about what you put in your mouth,however it's getting back on track that's important,as you probably know.So pat yourself on the back!Also,I know what it's like to have a sister half across the country going through problems.My sister's prob is her weight.I try and try to motivate her,inspire her,and nothing helps.It's also so frustrating b/c I'm not there to take her hand and lead her to that tredmill!Well,didn't mean to write a book!Good luck with everything guys!
  #110   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 09:59

Stats: 170/170/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Hello all. I've been snooping around this thread with interest, but I'm not actively on anything at the moment. Congratulations to all of you doing this. I'm truly amazed at your willpower.
I'm only posting because I've come fresh from reading the book, and perhaps have things still in my head that you might have forgotten.
He says in his book that this is an extreme plan, and as such he doesn't recommend you follow it for very much longer than the 2 weeks. He recommends cycling on and off with something more sensible. "Hopeful", please watch out. You're doing so well, don't get too run down. Groovejock's right, check you're getting adequate potassium, as it's very easy to lose, especially when you're restricted and drinking so much water. Ginseng?
Also, this UNYB plan is not a training programme for running, or anything else. No matter what anyone says, go with what your body tells you. Have that damn apple. A moderate insulin spike before a run will likely do you nothing but good.
Very best of luck to you with your run coming up.
  #111   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 13:31
Registered Member

Stats: 158/149/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks all for your advice and words of encouragement! I feel pretty good today although I am back at work after having nearly 1 month off. It's tough getting back into the groove of things and the kids are wiping me out (I'm a teacher but teach in a year round school, so have every 4th month off instead of summer) Exercising that much was easy before, but I'm nervous. I did the cardio sculpt this morning, and plan to run this afternoon, but have after school meetings plus tons of procrastinated planning. I'll do it though. I want to lose that weight!!
  #112   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 15:31
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

sorry, I just found the answer in the book

Last edited by KoKo : Mon, Jan-31-05 at 18:49.
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 06:34
Stepford Malfunction

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been following this thread with great interest and bought the book yesterday. Just had time to give it a good skim last night but will read the whole thing later. I plan on starting the program in about 10 days. At present I’m doing the two week de-tox phase of fat flush and the eating plans are not compatible. In the time between now and then I plan on acustomizing myself to the cardio/sculpting routine.

- EDITED - LOL I just TRIED it and my question is now unecessary!!!

The other thing that worries me is how do you all manage to do the circuit if you don’t have the DVD for a visual guide?? Does it become routine quickly enough that you don’t have to refer to the book all the time throughout the workout. I would get the DVD if I could but I fear that ordering it online wouldn’t get it here in time for me to start the program and the shops where I live don’t have it (it’s amazing I was able to get the book!!!).

Anyway, I think you’re all doing awesome and am so happy this thread caught my eye.

Last edited by KoKo : Tue, Feb-01-05 at 14:27.
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 17:24

Plan: BFL
Stats: 185/182/135 Female 5'7"
BF:32.4
Progress: 6%
Default Altering the nutrition plan?

Has anybody stuck to the excercise portion for 2 weeks but tried a different diet plan? I am not yet ready for the 2 week core, but will be in another 2 weeks. I have done excellent on my current diet (7 lb loss in 2 weeks!) I really think this excercise plan is the best and EVERYBODY that has done the 2 weeks has done phenominal.

But I always have the same problem with diets that are carb restrictive. My body does well for the 2 weeks but the moment I re-introduce carbs I just gain the weight I have lost VERY quickly.

I don't want to see that happen on this, what if I kept to the same diet I have been doing excellent on, and just stick to the 2 week excercise regimen?

The meal sizes are quite similar between the diets, and the foods I can eat are the same, but NY Body Plan - nutrition part doesn't allow for any carbs of any kind. The main different between this and what I have been doing is simply the good carbs added to each meal versus not until the 2 weeks is up and limited at that point too.

Anyhow, I was just curious if anyone else has stuck to the excercise portion very strictly, but altered the nutrition plan...
  #115   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 19:58

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 170/155/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 38%

hi guys- i am very new to all of this but i had a few Q's. first i have been on somewhat a plan like this it is supposedly "low carb" but i pretty much eat what i want i dont follow any specific book or plan. however, my carb and caloric intake is VERY low. i am currently trying to incorporate more REAL food into my diet because i know its unhealthy. but basically i have an atkins shake for breakfast (and despite controversy on the shakes i dont have time to eat at 6:00) then i dont get home til around 4 or 5 and i have a lc yogurt which has 3g and then for dinner i either have a shake and a yogurt or something equivalent to that intake of cal and carbs. so basically i am doing very minimal carbs but i at this current time for like the next month do not have time to go to the gym so i do do whatever i can in the meantime but its very little. so do you think that i will still have great wt loss with this without exercise? and i fear that when i do have time to the gym i wont have ANY ENERGY even with more carb intake or proteins to even attempt physical activities, besides the good ones!!!! but you dont need a gym for that. but honestly i know that what i am consuming is not enough and healthy and i know that but i am trying to revamp it and i have had wt loss but only like 5 lbs in 2 weeks. anyway thanks and GREAT JOB TO THOSE OF YOU who are doing wonderful!!!!!
  #116   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 04:28
Stepford Malfunction

Hi Trob,

I've not started the plan yet, but have done BFL challenges several times and here's how it works for me.

If I have very low carbs I cannot do heavy lifting but my cardio performance is not affected, I can walk at about a 5-6 mile per hour pace or go on my eppiliptical for 20-45 minutes with no problem. The lack of carbs only affects me for lifting and as far as I can see the New York Plan is not involving heavy lifting, the dumbells are light weight but with higher and more continuous activity than the kind of BFL exercise.

I know that on very low carbs I get hungry, my normal plan(s) are always ones heavy on the good carbs and low in calories. I expect that I will be hungry on the New York Plan - but it's for TWO WEEKS.

You ask about losing on this plan without exercise - well that's not doing the plan is it?? The plan IS 90 minutes of exercise a day plus the eating laid out in the book. YOu might lose some weight but you definitely won't get the results expected if you do not do the exercise. The exercise is probably MORE important than the eating.

BTW - 5lbs in 2 weeks is nothing to sniff at - many people here stick rigourously to strict diet and exercise and lose less than that or nothing at all for weeks at a time. (they do lose inches though because of EXERCISE). If you get the book and read it, you will see. You have to be dedicated to do a plan like this and it takes planning - it might mean you have to get up earlier and go to bed later, give up a tv show or two - whatever you have to in order to fit the exercise in, but that is the plan. He admits it's not easy and gives inspiration to help people along the way, but the want and the dedication has to come from inside of each person.
  #117   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 07:57

Plan: Ultimate New York Body Pl
Stats: 156.5/150.5/136 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

Tricia -

I lost 13.5 lbs in the two weeks, and it ended this past Friday. Saturday and Sunday I took a break from the gym and ate cereal for breakfast, soup for lunch, and dinner out at restaurants with a few glasses of wine each night. Monday morning, I was up 4 lbs. I started Body for Life on Monday (which I had done in the past for years with great results), so I expect the scale to go a up a few more pounds this week while my body adjusts to the muscle gain and the increase in calories. After a few weeks on BFL, the weight starts really coming off. I tend to lose 2 sizes in the first month of BFL, b/c it really sculpts the tough areas. However, NYUDP really gets the metabolism going. You MUST continue to do something when these 2 weeks are up - if not, you should expect to continue to gain.

Just my experience,
Newmommie
  #118   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 13:38

Plan: Ultimate New York Body
Stats: 162/143/135 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:

Newmommie: I found that after I ended the two weeks, I basically told myself I was still doing it, but gave myself license to add things back in - a piece of whole grain bread with my egg whites and turkey bacon, or an orange with my lunch - and I continued the exercise. Last week, I completely fell off the wagon - have exercised very little and eaten everything I can get my hands on . I plan to get back on the 2 week plan on Sunday of this week. However, even with falling off the plan for a week, I only gained a couple of pounds, and I don't notice any change in the way my clothes fit - so I've definately up'ed my motabolism.

TROB: what you described to me as your eating plan and inability to exercise and have any energy seems a little scary to me. If what you posted as your meals - 2 shakes and a yogurt a day - if that's all you're eating, then you need to start eating more. There is no way your body will be able to function and you will eventually go into starvation mode, where you won't lose weight. It's much better to eat more and have the energy to exercise. Just my two cents.
  #119   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 09:39

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 170/155/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 38%

KOKO thanks so much for the advice i do understand all that you said and agree with it and know i have to make the commitment. the one thing with exercise which i prefer a gym is i am moving within two months and my membership ended on jan 28 so i hate to go pay 250 for 6 months when i will only use 2. i know my health is more imp than money but i am a college student!!!!!!! ha but i also love to run so at the very least i will run a couple of miles at night, which is doable i use to run like 5 miles a day before i gained all this wt. so thanks for the support i apreciate it!

Jenniferni i know and thats why i kinda put the disclaimer in there because i know people would have something to say about how little i was eating. thank you though for the concern and i already know i have to do something. but one of the reasons that i eat so little is that i take glucophage a very strong med for my pcos and it makes me physically sick to take it and eat a lot i have been taking it for months and i have tried many diff eating habits and this just makes me feel the best. EVEN THOUGH i am going to change in fact ihave already started having salad for lunch and sometimes for dinner too. so i dont want you to think i am starving myself to lose wt. NOOO, its just what seems to fit with my meds. BUT THANKS for the advice and concern.

hopefully i can report back in a few weeks with great results
  #120   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 10:17
Stepford Malfunction

Hi again Trob,

Oh I totally understand about how hard it is financially being a student (my eldest son is one ) a good thing is that you can do so many workouts at home with very little equipment. A few dumbells and an exercise ball and you can do a LOT. Actually I'm very glad I got the New York book because I've had an exercise ball for over a year and didn't know many exercises to do on it - the New York Plan uses the exercise ball a lot. Good luck, I know that you can get some kind of exercise in