Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-17, 08:19

Plan: Ideal Protein
Stats: 153/153/143 Female 5'2"
BF:40%
Progress: 0%
Default Nightmares!

Just wondering if any of you face sleep challenges. I have restless leg syndrome and so I'm up many nights for hours...leading me to the refrigerator (out of desperation!). It's hard to explain to most people who don't experience RLS. Treatments vary, with some success, for some duration, however usually the syndrome progresses with age. I'd love to hear of coping mechanisms. Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-17, 08:29

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts

Well, I've never been diagnosed with RLS but I used to wear holes in my sheets so I think I was very busy indeed in my sleep. What feels to me like what I think RLS is, I now take some mineral to combat it. Magnesium was the real discovery. I thought I had the RDA covered, but I didn't realize that the kind of mg I was taking, magnesium oxide, was very poorly absorbed in most people.

I now take magnesium glycinate, magnesium taurate or sometimes magnesium malate. Sometimes, it was potassium that I need and I have heard of this working for other people. Sometimes it is salt, especially when following a lc diet. And sometimes, when I was first experimenting with magnesium, I overdid it, and would get that restless feeling and it was calcium that relieved it. My understanding is that the calcium/magnesium ratio is important as they are both synergistic and antagonistic to each other.

Have you tried mineral supplementation?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-17, 11:26

Plan: Ideal Protein
Stats: 153/153/143 Female 5'2"
BF:40%

What a thoughtful reply! I hadn't thought about the different forms of magnesium - will look into that. I know the autopsied brains of RLS patients show iron deficiency, but my blood tests show I have sufficient iron. Nevertheless, some people still take iron supplement to try to bring up the brain level. Not sure that actually is the result, though. I have a health science degree, so I do a lot of research. I just wish I didn't turn to food when I am wandering about awake at night! I keep repeating to myself: "Food is not the answer!"
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-17, 13:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

In addition to taking sodium and mag., have hope that completely eliminating wheat products may improve the RLS. Be careful to avoid additives that are wheat based like soy sauce.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/...ains-and-a-fib/
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-17, 14:14

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts

Re the iron deficiency, magnesium is involved in over 300 biochemical reactions in the body. Is it possible it may be related to iron? I don't know, but I do know that magnesium supplementation was not only the best antidepressant I ever took (and I tried numerous Big Pharma varieties) but it also cleared up my dry skin!

Here is a good primer on magnesium: http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html