Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#61   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 08:29

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Down another pound this morning. Only one more to go to reach an even 100 lost.

Wow! That's an impressive accomplishment!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 08:59

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
I'm going to post a VLC eggnog recipe I found on this site ...

This will be my daytime food for a while, does anyone think I should add the egg whites too (some or all?) for more protein?

Others may disagree, but I've read that raw egg white can steal biotin from your system, which is not a good thing. It used to bother me to throw away all those egg whites, but now I'm fine with it.

Pardon me. I just jumped in here without introducing myself. I'm Bawdy, and I've been hanging around for quite a while in the low-carb world. I've done zero carb before, and am thinking about it again. So, if you don't mind, I'd like to lurk and ask a few questions.

Merpig (what the heck does that username mean, anyway!), are you not doing the 6WC anymore? I fell away after about 8 weeks when I had to go back to Michigan when my MIL passed. Haven't been able to get totally back on board yet.

And now my first question to you ZCers: What percentages of protein and fat are you doing? I've read 75% fat to 25% protein, or even 80% fat to 20% protein.
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 09:03
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

welcome aboard bawdy.
we don't count around here.. that takes up too much of our time.
eat fatty protein when hungry, don't eat when not hungry.
your body will dictate the need for more fat.
your brain won't.

chillax and enjoy the ride.
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 09:07

BF:

Geez, I tend to have an obsessive-compulsive streak with most things, and if I went with my "gut," I'd probably get too much protein and not enough fat. As I mentioned, I've done the high-fat thing before, and always had a problem getting the fat up much higher than around 70% ... 75% if I really tried.

Could you maybe give me a typical day of eating for you? I know everyone goes about it a little differently, but it would help me to see what's working for you.

Thanks!
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 09:07

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 168/110/115 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

I eat the meat I feel like eating, no idea of the percentages.
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 09:09
Registered Member

yeah, don't make this any harder than it sounds.....
i eat meat for my first meal in the morning and meat again in the late afternoon when it's time for my second feeding.
each day is different depending on physical exertion.
and some days i eat once.

my body tells me how much/when to eat.
this will certainly rid you of your OCD....
as it has ED's... with many here.
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 09:15

BF:

Rid me of my OCD?!?!?!?!?!?! But, that's my security blanket!!!!!

Do any of you rely on coconut bark (coconut oil, cocoa, and a bit of sweetener)?

What about pemmican?

No one worries about getting too many calories? Fat, heavy cream, coconut oil add up quickly.

Geez. I sound like a newbie! I've been low-carbing since 1998, for gawd's sake, much of that time very-low carb.

No rules? Really? I'm not sure I can do that!

Hmmmm. Maybe I should go to the old thread and glance through it.
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 09:25

BF:

Pilotgal, I just checked your images and profile. Yowzers! You're amazing!!!!!! You look 20 ... no, 30 years younger now than you did at your highest weight.

Are you sure we weren't separated at birth? I was born March 27, 1955, and my highest weight matches your highest weight!

Geez, if I could get down to the 150s again. I got there (and stayed there for almost 2 years) from age 48 to 50, but then menopause hit me like a Mack truck. I started with hormones 2 years ago, and switched to bio-identical hormones last February. Within about 8 months of turning 50, I was up 40 pounds. I kept gaining and couldn't stop, despite no change in eating or activity.

Has menopause caused problems for you? I'm still getting back hot flashes and the night sweats and horrendous ... even WITH the hormones. And it's all so confusing on the dosages. Some things I read say if the hot flashes and night sweats get worse while on the hormones, you should increase your dosage; other things I read say to drop the dosage of progesterone in particular because it can build up in your system and make matters worse.

What's a BawdyWench to do?

Oh. I get it. Zero carb. Carnivore lifestyle.

Let me obsess on this for a while. It's what I need to do, I just need to internalize it.
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 09:25

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Hey there Bawdy

Nothing wrong with knowing what percentages you're doing, but like Lynne and Suz said, it's easier for most to not worry too much about it. Really, as long as you feel good, are seeing your body transform into something "better" than what you start with, those are the prime markers of ZC working for you.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 09:28
Registered Member

Plan: Zero carb
Stats: 214/205/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
And it doesn't seem to be hurting. Down another pound this morning. Only one more to go to reach an even 100 lost.

Congrats Debbie!
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 09:36
Registered Member

ZC killed my bipolar disorder, and all PMS symptoms..
i am a normal female with no mood swings.
i owe it all to ZC.
stop your fussin', get on the boat with us and watch your body thin down..
and thanks for the compliments.
my kids tell me everyday how good my skin looks.
my kids are in awe that i have slowed the aging process.

Last edited by PilotGal : Fri, Dec-04-09 at 10:19.
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 10:31

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Others may disagree, but I've read that raw egg white can steal biotin from your system, which is not a good thing. It used to bother me to throw away all those egg whites, but now I'm fine with it.

I've never heard anyone disagree. I give my egg whites back to my chickens, but I cook them first. Nothing is wasted in our house!

I can relate to the obsessive compulsiveness. I was at our local (mostly vegetarian) food coop recently, wiping crumbs off the countertop so I could put my food down. "They say gluten can cause OCD," I told them...

Last edited by capmikee : Fri, Dec-04-09 at 11:41.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 10:39

Plan: Atkins Ind. + exercise
Stats: 209.0/200.6/155 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC

The other weird thing is, hunger and fullness are unmistakable! I used to spend a lot of time trying to figure out whether I was really hungry or not, and when I should stop eating. (You know, the "intuitive eating" approach.) Now I know I'm not hungry enough to eat because it is almost physically impossible to chew and swallow the food. And I know when I'm finished the same way. I feel like a door closes somewhere inside and I simply can't get another bite down. (Maybe TMI, but I actually had to spit a piece of steak into my napkin the other night because I knew I couldn't eat anymore.) SO different from regular LC, when I wouldn't be able to stop eating - or just picking at - some kind of lowcarb dish like a chicken broccoli casserole.

I know this feeling exactly. When I eat carbs, especially higher carb meals, I can eat until my stomach hurts because I don't get that 'full' feeling. And I can usually eat again in an hour...lol...think chinese food. I feel like I am constantly searching for FULL. Yesterday was the first day that didn't feel like that in a long time.

On a related note, I don't usally eat breakfast because I already get up at 5:30 and food is unappealing that early in the morning...just coffee with cream. I ate this morning, a couple slices of cheese and turkey wrapped up together...and now I am nauseous. Icky.
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 10:45

Plan: Atkins Ind. + exercise
Stats: 209.0/200.6/155 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default I wanna BE PilotGal!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
ZC killed my bipolar disorder, and all PMS symptoms..
i am a normal female with no mood swings.
i owe it all to ZC.
stop your fussin', get on the boat with us and watch your body thin down..
and thanks for the compliments.
my kids tell me everyday how good my skin looks.
my kids are in awe that i have slowed the aging process.

People already tell me I look ten years younger than I am...37 yo. I want people to say that when I am 47!

By the by, down 1.6 lbs this morning.
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 11:23

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
ZC killed my bipolar disorder

PilotGal, did you really have bipolar disorder? Not that I doubt you, but I mean diagnosed and everything? Were you prescribed medication? My daughter is bipolar. She tried a keto diet last summer and I thought she was doing great on it, but she didn't like the eating restrictions and decided to go off the diet and rely solely on her meds (she's 24, so I can't control those things anymore.)

I know I could never talk her into zero carb, but I'm hoping if she sees enough of a change in me over time that she might consider it on her own.

(BTW, I'll understand completely if you're not comfortable answering such personal questions. )
Closed Thread