Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Smile What the heck?

I've been lurking on this board for quite sometime now. And I do love this board, so I figured it was time for me to post a message.

My main question is this. If this is a pro low-carb site, then why does 2 out of every 3 studies I read here discuss the negatives of low-carb dieting. I think it must be very difficult for some of the people on this site to maintain their faith and dilligence when faced daily with constant reminders of how everyone thinks low carb diets are poor for your health and future.

I personally would rather like to see more positive studies posted, or if anything, intelligent and well thought out (with foot-notes even) rebuttals to those negative articles when they are posted as opposed to leaving them as is.

Thanks

Mike
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 11:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Mike!

Good points! I think it's about time we start commenting on the published articles, and possibly post them at the bottom of each article with a link so readers can read the comments and add to them. More like a "debunk" approach.

As to having more positive studies, these are quite rare and only show up once in a while. I'm always on the look out for those, and if anyone find such studies, please post them here and they will be added.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 11:58
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Thanks for the quick reply

I understand about the infrequency of positive low-carb studies. And I agree with your debunk theory. It's time to let the numbers speak for themselves, and in my best Yoda voice "and speak for themselves they will." I also noted your incredible weight loss. . . great job Tamarian.

Mike
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 12:47

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: What the heck?

Quote:
Originally posted by Crowis
think it must be very difficult for some of the people on this site to maintain their faith and dilligence when faced daily with constant reminders of how everyone thinks low carb diets are poor for your health and future.

You'd think we'd give up woudnt you? Add to the media all the **** we get from friends and family members who read those same articles. Personally, I just shake my head, nod and say nothing, knowing full well that I've lost 36 lbs, dropped my blood pressure to the healtiest it has ever been, and lowered my triglycerides as far as they've ever been - In 7 weeks. I also think back to my years of low fat / low calorie anguish where no amount of exercise or "healthy" eating worked.

Let them eat cake

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 12:48
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Indeed. . . let them eat cake (GRIN)!