Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 22:53

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 430/262.6/215 Male 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 78%

Avoid big-name Kettlebell DVDs like Bob Harper or Jillian Michaels. They're marketing cash-ins because kettlebells are "hot". The form they teach you will get you hurt!

If you're looking for a good video to learn how to swing a kettlebell I highly recommend Enter the Kettlebell by Pavel Tsatsouline. Form is *everything* when swinging your bell. If you can, try and find a RKC certified instructor in your area to get you started properly. You can do a search at dragondoor.com to find one.

For an actual workout I've heard good things about Tracy Reifkind's DVDs. You can also check her blog/YouTube to save some money. But really all you need to do is swing and do turkish getups and that'll make a huge difference.

Kettlebells are amazing and helped me immensely to lose weight in the last year.

There are a lot of great resources on YouTube.
http://youtu.be/QyJ3ouM0AO8 (Watch how he does the towel swing, the swing is all hip drive and not your arms!)
http://youtu.be/q0jalJ-3e7U
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 23:03

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 430/262.6/215 Male 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d

OWWWW.. No thank you! In the middle of a workout when switching between 2h swings, 1h swings and snatches, I don't want to have to worry about not having my bell facing the correct direction and have that demon nose slam into my forearm.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-12, 00:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/260/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKrick
Avoid big-name Kettlebell DVDs like Bob Harper or Jillian Michaels. They're marketing cash-ins because kettlebells are "hot". The form they teach you will get you hurt!

If you're looking for a good video to learn how to swing a kettlebell I highly recommend Enter the Kettlebell by Pavel Tsatsouline. Form is *everything* when swinging your bell. If you can, try and find a RKC certified instructor in your area to get you started properly. You can do a search at dragondoor.com to find one.

For an actual workout I've heard good things about Tracy Reifkind's DVDs. You can also check her blog/YouTube to save some money. But really all you need to do is swing and do turkish getups and that'll make a huge difference.

Kettlebells are amazing and helped me immensely to lose weight in the last year.

http://youtu.be/QyJ3ouM0AO8 (Watch how he does the towel swing, the swing is all hip drive and not your arms!)

Thanks...yeah I've read pretty scathing reviews of the Jillian Michaels/Bob Harper KB offerings. I've also been to dragondoor.com...stuff on there is just a little pricey. I'm interested in From Russia with Tough Love, but I read that is bascially a form tutorial that shows how to do all the exercises properly, so for a workout I'd have to do it on my own or get another DVD. I do also plan to get Enter the Kettlebell (though Pavel kind of scares me). And there is a $40 DVD on there by Lauren Brooks that's rated highly on amazon, but unless I want a used copy I cannot find it for less than $40, even though it's only about an hour long. I might get it used. For now I'll start with the Gin Miller DVD 'cause I really like it. Really kicks my ass. Can't wait to start up again...I have my fingers crossed that tendinitis won't derail me this time...
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-12, 10:13

Stats: 183/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 94%

They have some great ones on Youtube!! Learn alot and free!! cant beat that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYi-gZH1efg
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-12, 15:16

Stats: 249.2/242.6/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%

So today I used my 10 lb bells.

Warm up
Halos - 25 each direction
Circles - 25 each direction

Kettle bell swings 50 two handed
then 25 switching hands at the top of the arc

using 2 bells
25 suitcase lifts

25 cling and press

back to 1 bell
25 each side rows

50 kettle bell swings
25 one arm swings switching bell

35 squat into an upright row

Was beat at this point, but felt good too. I'm going to add more to this.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-12, 23:13

Stats: 280/260/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorris47
They have some great ones on Youtube!! Learn alot and free!! cant beat that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYi-gZH1efg

I'd love to, but I only get internet by tethering my phone, and I have a 5 GB limit per month. Doesn't permit a lot of video-watching...and the fees are huge for going over. :/ I live in the boonies where one cannot get DSL or cable. =(
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-12, 09:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iasi
I'd love to, but I only get internet by tethering my phone, and I have a 5 GB limit per month. Doesn't permit a lot of video-watching...and the fees are huge for going over. :/ I live in the boonies where one cannot get DSL or cable. =(

I've been there before, though I was stuck on speeds lower than dial up. My Gold's Gym Iron/neoprene dipped 10lb bell bought at wall mart - it had a booklet of exercises with it and it looks like the positions are pretty good form. I think the Danskin DVD isn't bad to teach a few basics.

The website below has some reviews of various kettlebell workout dvds/prices geared more towards serious dvds. Some are a little pricey, but it does have the 'Enter the Kettlebell' DVD that MKrick was recommending for the same price as Amazon.

http://compare-best-kettlebells-dvds.com/

I'm getting a bit worried about proper form. I used a mirror in my made up routine to watch myself, but I want to be sure I'm doing it right. I'm going to go ahead and get Paul's DVD since MKrick's recommendation has me thinking really hard on it. When my taxes come back I'll see about getting a class or two with an instructor to just do a check on the form.

Below is a page with general kettle bell advice and also recommends for Ladies, 'The Kettlebell Goddess' workout. I've read some other reviews on that one - some loved it, some thought it needed a music track. I don't need music, just some awesome exercises.

http://www.kettlebellburn.com/

There are some videos attached to that one, but I linked it more for the blog he has with it, plus he's certified.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-12, 11:20

Stats: 183/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:

Bummer!! It would be great if you could!
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-12, 15:08

BF:

Quote:

Wow, these vids are great. I'm going to try the towel trick when I practice next time. I can let go and catch with the other hand, which I think means I am doing it right but the towel trick seems a great check.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 10:25

Plan: general LC, primal-ish
Stats: 450/314/225 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:

Listen to this guy.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 10:31

BF:

Quote:
I'm interested in From Russia with Tough Love, but I read that is bascially a form tutorial that shows how to do all the exercises properly, so for a workout I'd have to do it on my own or get another DVD. I do also plan to get Enter the Kettlebell (though Pavel kind of scares me).

A form tutorial is exactly what you need when you are first starting with kettlebell training.

I think the reason that follow-along DVDs haven't caught on so much with kettlebell training (at least serious kettlebell training, and not the jillian michaels crowd), is that done properly, the intensity level and focus required is such that you either cannot or will not want to follow along with a dvd. kettlebell training is something where a momentary lapse of attention can be catastrophic.

Additionally the kettlebell is such a simple tool that you only need a small handful of moves for full-body strength and conditioning. In the beginning, you only need two actually. It is not like p90x or whatever where you need to do 20 or 30 different exercises. So I think a DVD routine with a person doing this one single move for 5 minutes, resting a short while, and then doing another single move for 12 minutes, may not be the top seller, although that's the best kettlebell workout there is for beginners.

Skogg system is probably the way to go if you want a follow-on DVD, but really, you're going to get a lot more longevity and training value out of ETK.

Why does Pavel scare you?

Last edited by agent_86 : Sun, Feb-19-12 at 10:39.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 10:42

BF:

Quote:
OWWWW.. No thank you! In the middle of a workout when switching between 2h swings, 1h swings and snatches, I don't want to have to worry about not having my bell facing the correct direction and have that demon nose slam into my forearm.

Yeah, I think those demon bells are for crossfitters who only do swings. They look nice though, but I couldn't imagine paying so much for a kettlebell that's not really usable.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-12, 19:56

BF:

Agent, thank you for the advice! I'm so glad that experienced KB users are posting to this to give us newer folks some of your wisdom.

I bought ETK last week. Pavel has so many tips and tricks to having a rock solid form for kettlebell work. I am very impressed and this and the fittoelite clips on you tube have really focused me on what I need to do to perfect the moves.

I have even got my boyfriend to try it, he likes it too!

I still plan to try Skogg's but I think for awhile I'll just stick to the exercises Pavel covers and try to grow there for awhile.