Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-27-16, 00:33
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default what causes gall stones?

I was reading fat is the problem and especially eggs. I have gall bladder pain occassionally its always following the free day.

It happened 3 times after eating nachos that I had to gave them up. Recently fell off over chistmas a bit, had some chocolate. Had more severe gall bladder pain with chills and burping. Still went back to lowcarbing eating my 3 morning eggs and felt fine again.

It seems to me its not a 'fat' problem. Maybe a portion problem? Is it possible the experts are wrong and having a sudden diet change?

Just wondering if there are other theories besides fat and eggs? Its not a huge problem for me about 5 times in 10 years but I don't want to have my gall bladder removed someday.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-17, 21:43

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

I remember reading somewhere that fat is good for the gallbladder - that eating low fat causes the gallbladder to, essentially, atrophy which results in people having it removed.

I don't know how this relates to gallstones.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-17, 23:03

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I've read about it once but have forgotten the details but I think that the gall bladder helps with digestion by secreting (something) into the stomach.

I read recently that we should never consume carbonated drinks with a meal because it neutralizes the stomach acid which is the beginning of digestion.

Maybe it wasn't the food you ate but carbonated drinks. The article included carbonated waters too in that category, not just soda.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 09:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Here's a nice explanation:

Quote:
Even as many doctors subscribe to the myth that eating fat and cholesterol leads to gallstones, research indicates that eating too little fat and too many carbohydrates in the form of grains, sugars and starches actually leads to gallbladder ailments.1 The organ has one fundamental purpose: to help you digest food, specifically fats. Meddle with the performance of its job—as you do when you don't eat enough fat to keep it in working order—and you endanger its health. Instead, the bile just sits in the organ, losing water and thickening.

Atkins: Gallbladder Disorders

While I cannot vouch for everything on the site (they push the bars and shakes to many people's detriment) the article here mirrors what I have read in many studies.

People eat low fat for years, like putting their gall bladder in the garage. When they take it out for a drive; it has issues.

Did you know that decades ago, the gall bladder was considered such a vital organ that surgeons would clean out the stones and leave it intact? It was only with the Fear of Fat that it was taken out completely. And despite them lying that "you'll never miss it," lots of people do.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 11:48

BF:

Thanks Wearbear,
Bile, from the liver, right? and the gallbladder is the holding tank, so-to-speak....
Couldn't remember last night.
I know a younger fellow in his late 30s or early 40s and they talked him into having his gallbladder removed. He is still in pain and now has no gallbladder.
So, they actually use to clean out the stones and save the gallbladder, interesting.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 14:09

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi Meme, Hubs has a "sensitive" gallbladder and has had stones several times--to the point where he has been told, "Next time we take it out." He has learned a trick...beets and cucumbers. If he starts to feel the pain coming on, he will eat one or the other and it's like magic. We told another friend about it and she says it's a miracle. He learned this from his gastro doc. Also, eating a little bit of cucumber every day keeps the gallstones away.

I just happened by to get some menu ideas and saw your post.

Happy New Year,
Rian
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 15:02

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Here's a nice explanation:

While I cannot vouch for everything on the site (they push the bars and shakes to many people's detriment) the article here mirrors what I have read in many studies.

People eat low fat for years, like putting their gall bladder in the garage. When they take it out for a drive; it has issues.

Did you know that decades ago, the gall bladder was considered such a vital organ that surgeons would clean out the stones and leave it intact? It was only with the Fear of Fat that it was taken out completely. And despite them lying that "you'll never miss it," lots of people do.

Yes! I ate low fat for years & years...then about 5 years ago had a huge gallbladder attack after a big fatty holiday meal...and had to have it removed. I had a large stone that got stuck. I don't miss it at all!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 15:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Me
Hi Meme, Hubs has a "sensitive" gallbladder and has had stones several times--to the point where he has been told, "Next time we take it out." He has learned a trick...beets and cucumbers. If he starts to feel the pain coming on, he will eat one or the other and it's like magic. We told another friend about it and she says it's a miracle. He learned this from his gastro doc. Also, eating a little bit of cucumber every day keeps the gallstones away.

I just happened by to get some menu ideas and saw your post.

Happy New Year,
Rian

Cucumbers and the beets -raw, cooked or pickled?
Wow where did you learn that one? good to know.
I just so happened to have bought a cucumber the other day not I will marinade some today for sure!
Glad you stopped by Rian!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 15:41

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Unfortunately, gall stones are a risk for cancer. That is why if your gallbladder gets bad enough it needs to come out instead of being babied.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 16:05

BF:

Thank goodness my gallbladder is fine and my sliced cucumbers are marinating.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 16:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I love cucumbers! Need more beets
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 20:20

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

I think beets are high in carbs, but you can just have a slice or two on your salad. IT doesn't take much. Let me know how it goes, my sources say it gives immediate relief.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-22-17, 00:01
Registered Member

sorry I got quite sick (multiple chemical sensitivity and asthma) and just came by my own post!

I still have the occasional gall bladder pain and am wondering if its the fact that I'm fatter then ever causing it. I was just reading being overweight is a risk factor for asthma because diets that make you fat are so inflammatory. Hoping lowcarb will fix it all!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-22-17, 05:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Good summary on causes of gallstone and recent studies.
Many reader comments add practical advice:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/gallston...-carb#more-1974
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-22-17, 09:16
Registered Member

Thanks JEY!!! Very interesting including readers stories, until they started punching each other. It seemed to follow my experience with lowcarb the remedy not the cause.