Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 08:00
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 340/302/225
BF:
Progress:
Default Egg Plant Parma

Easy enough so that my wife lets me do the whole thing myself.

I use two small egg plants and try to buy ones w/o the big bulge on one end. I remove the skin (my preference) with a potato skin peeler. I then make slices about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick. I then mix up two eggs in a relatively flat soup dish and using a blender I make a bowl of bread crumbs using pork rinds. I then dip each side of the egg plant into the egg, then into the pork rinds and place into a frying plan which contains olive oil. Oil should be heated at medium setting so that it is hot prior to placing egg plant into pan. Fry each side 4 to 5 minutes until brown and then place of paper towel to drain. I then use some individual portion round deep dishes (oven proof) and layer in the egg plant. I pour Ragoo sauteed onion and garlic sauce over the egg plant which I then cover with crumpled mozzarella cheeze. I then place them in freezer with a cover and when desired I remove the cover and place each serving in the oven for about 30 minutes to make sure it heats through.

A great change of pace after all those meat dishes. Don't know the amount of carbs per serving and don't care because I know I am not eating rice, bread, pasta, potatoes etc. so how bad can the carb count be.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 21:48

Plan: my own plan
Stats: 235/138/130
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default I was looking for something like this

I agree. I'm kinda getting sick of all the meat. It should be low carb. Try using pizza sauce instead of tomato because it has half the carbs and probably taists just as good
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-26-07, 13:01

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

I wonder if dipping the egged eggplant into grated parmesan cheese instead of pork rinds would make a difference? I'm going to try this tonight.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 22:18
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 217/180/185 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStump
I wonder if dipping the egged eggplant into grated parmesan cheese instead of pork rinds would make a difference? I'm going to try this tonight.

I did this tonight. Used one medium sized eggplant and 1/2 of a yellow squash I had sitting in the fridge. Sliced, dipped in egg, then coated with a mixture of grated parm(pizza topping), garlic powder, dried oregano and basil. Working in batches, moving 5-7 pieces, depending on size, into hot olive oil in large pan.

Once all the eggplant and squash slices were fried, I layered a casserole dish with the slices topped with pizza sauce and shredded mozz cheese. Extra mozz on the top layer. Baked at 350 for 15 mins

Of course, I splashed Tabasco on my serving before digging in. Best part is, I have lunches to take to work the rest of the week! Total cost...probably $1 per serving, gotta love it!