Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-16, 19:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 288/253.5/168 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default My ldl is up

The Drs office called today to tell me to watch the fat in my diet cause my bad cholesterol went up.... I thought things were supposed to move In The other direction!!!! Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-16, 19:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Samika, how long have you been LC'ing?

And, does your doctor know a danged thing about how LC affects the blood lipids? If you are losing fat from the fat cells, it moves into the bloodstream, right?

When you are actively losing, it's absolutely normal for your LDL to rise, along with your total cholesterol.

Here's a great explanation, from 2012, from Dr Davis, the Wheatbelly doctor: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/...sterol-went-up/
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-16, 21:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Most docs don't know LCHF benefits. I can't see what you're eating from your journal, but if you're following Atkins you'll see bad cholesterol go down. On the other hand, my sister has eaten clean her whole life and she supposedly has high cholesterol. She simply says no to any meds they offered. The jury's out for me on this whole thing. Here's another article that explains how misinformation has been historically perpetuated:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...rol-levels.aspx
Sorry, I don't know how to post a link. But you can copy and paste if you're interested
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-16, 03:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Your post was moved to the Cholesterol/heart sub-forum. Tons of good info here on this forum, one of my favorites is http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=466506 but you can see the very first sticky will answer your question, many other recent threads as well.
Your profile says you have been LC since 2007, but did you recently restart LC? Consider updating your profile with recent info, or can add helpful info to signature. You should have a copy of the actual numbers for LDL, Trigs, HDL etc for us to comment. What level is high?

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Apr-28-16 at 05:18.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-16, 20:42

BF:

Well the doc said ldl was 118..... Didn't tell him I was doing low carb but he said whatever your doing keep it up cause you lost weight.... So I left it at that.... I restarted about 6-7 weeks ago
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-16, 21:25

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

That's funny. Your LDL is up so eat less fat but keep doing whatever you're doing. Are you triglycerides low? Your HDL high? Then the LDL is irrelevant.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-16, 02:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

118!? Most people who pay any attention to LDL would kill for a number that low. Even the newer ACC guidelines are OK with levels up to 190 unless you have other problems like diabetes. When are doctors going to read the actual science instead learning about cholesterol from their perky statin pharmaceutical rep?
Suggest you not worry about your cholesterol for now, and work on what you need to do to stick with LC for your health for the rest of your life. We want to help you to reach your goal weight for your good health, but you have been on and off LC many times, now higher than in 2007. What will help you change? Maybe read more of the success stories here...highly recommend Ken's http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472345 and Renees. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471192
Join a daily weigh-in challenge? The TDC for support? Write more in your journal? Find practical solutions to help your change your eating habits forever. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468195 read some new books or try a new plan? No need to answer here in this forum, just adding some ideas for you to consider. All the best to reach your good health,

When people ask, I never say Atkins, and rarely LC....rather I JERF ...Just Eat Real Food. No Sugar, no processed food...hard to argue with that.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Apr-29-16 at 03:01.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-16, 06:43

BF:

Thank you all so much ...I really appreciate the support and advice...
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-16, 08:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Samika, Janet gave you SUCH good advice. If you can look back at the patterns from the times that you quit, you can see what your triggers are, and find ways from successful people to fight them.

SOME of the people here never needed to lose weight; they eat low carb because it's the healthiest way for them to eat. But most of us have lost and gained and lost and gained, many times over.

That cycle only stops when we decide that we will NOT listen to the messages we give ourselves, saying that it's OK to eat just one, or that it would be rude not to have this because So and So made it especially for the occasion, or that we're stressed so we need some comfort food.

But in the NOT listening, we have to have new messages to listen to, that empower us to do what we know will help us to better health. Reading other people's journals is the way that I learned what to tell myself.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-02-16, 09:45

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

My last cholesterol was in the 300's total, which really means very little given the knowledge doctor SHOULD have today (but many don't). My HDL is always 80-95, and that alone will raise your total number. My Tri's are low, but my LDL was something like 230 last time, which initially made my doctor freak out. HOWEVER….I got my her to do the VAP type cholesterol test (more expensive, but not too much so), which tests for LDL particle type. Mine were high on the big fluffy side of things, which is good. It's the small dense particles that are the problem, apparently.

The meaning and importance of the basic cholesterol tests has been as mistaken and misinterpreted as low carb has been.

Luckily my doctor is aware enough that once she saw that, she said she is no longer concerned with my overall number.

There are several great books out there about the cholesterol myths.