Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 10:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/167.5/130
BF:
Progress: 22%
Unhappy Not lost a pound (ever) ready to quit SOO frustrated!

I started the Atkins Diet on Labor day. So far I haven't lost a single pound. I have quit coffee, quit alcohol, haven't had bread, or pasta since August. I am so frustrated. I got on the scale today and it was the same. I have been on the verge of crying all day!

I have used Fitday, and my carbs are aroung 20 per day.

I called the Atkins Center to ask a question, and they want me to fill out a form, pay $125.00 and I can have 30 minutes on the phone with one of their consultants (a lot of $$ for me). BUT what she did say was "Are you skipping meals"?

I never ate breakfast, and I don't go in for inbetween meal snacks. She said maybe I should try eating something small every 2 hours, because my body thinks it is starving and is holding onto fat.

Does this make sense to anyone?

I feel terrible. Please help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 11:09
Registered Member

Plan: restricted carb Paleo
Stats: 180/124/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 124%

She could be right. You might need smaller bits of fuel for your body during the day. I have the same type of highly reactive metabolism, and had to change to smaller meals too.

I don't mean to sound obvious or anything (no offense meant), but another suggestion is that you might also want to be sure you're not eating anything you could be allergic to. For me, the worst offender was wheat - once I gave it up for a few days, then tried to have it again, I had a terrible reaction. Sometimes you develop the worst cravings for things you're not meant to eat!

Maybe if you posted something of a daily menu, some of the more experienced folk here can give you better advice
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 11:09

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Not lost a pound (ever) ready to quit SOO frustrated!

Quote:
Originally posted by cosima22
BUT what she did say was "Are you skipping meals"?

I never ate breakfast, and I don't go in for inbetween meal snacks. She said maybe I should try eating something small every 2 hours, because my body thinks it is starving and is holding onto fat.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Yes, it makes a lot of sense. One of most common reasons for not losing or losing more slowly than necessary is undereating. If you're using fitday, check out the section called "Activities" It will list your caloric expenditures for things like lifestyle and your basic metabolic functions. It changes with your weight so I can't give you an idea of what yours is (You haven't filled out your current weight ). Generally it works out to 10 - 12 times your body weight a day in calories. 150 lbs = 1500 - 1800 calories every day. This is just to for your body to function (i.e. cell division, cell respiration, etc etc) and does not take into account any walking, running, talking, weight lifting you do.

By not eating breakfast you're short changing yourself on calories your body needs and its reacting the only way it can. It's holding on to fat and water.

Have you had a history of yo you dieting? If, yes, this will also be a factor. Your body learns not to trust you; it takes longer to convince it that what you're doing is ok, that it wont be starving again.

My advice is to go back to Induction and do it by the book. This means breakfast, lunch and dinner; and whatever else it takes to get 10 to 12 times your body weight in calories in.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 11:12

Plan: Barry Groves - Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/173/142
BF:
Progress:

Hi honey,

Don't get frustrated about it all, I'm in the same position and I know how you feel but I believe this WOE is healthiest.

The one thing I haven't done is go see the doctor, I need to check for thyroid problems and that's the next thing I'm going to do when I finish writing this post. Have you been to the doctors and had everything checked, there may be a small problem you're not aware of.

You've been doing this the same time as I have and I honestly know how you feel.. I see others losing and am pleased for them but wish it was me losiing too. Sometimes things seem so unfair but there's a reason and we'll find it but it takes time.

Sorry I'm not much help but sometimes it's nice to speak to someone in the same position .

Bez

#5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 11:19

BF:

I am trying to follow the induction plan - ex. yesterday I ate - can of tuna with 2 boiled eggs and some mayo for lunch, ground chicken burger for dinner, sugar free jello and 10 almonds for dessert. This is fairly typical for what I have eaten since I started. It is not exciting food, but since I haven't lost anything I have tried to scale back as close to ONLY meat, fish, eggs as I can to be certain I am not fudging. What do you think?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 11:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Take Nat's advice. You're not eating enough. Keeping calories up is very important or your body will think it's starving.

To echo Nat, have you yo-yo dieted?

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 11:37

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by cosima22
sugar free jello and 10 almonds for dessert. This is fairly typical for what I have eaten since I started.

Nuts are not part of Induction; and I'm pretty sure that during the first two weeks you're supposed to forego the artificial sweeteners.

I can say that this is not enough food; I doubt you've got 1000 calories there. 1000 calories would be fine if you weighed 90 lb s. Where's the fat? You should be using butter, olive oil, flax oil, olives, eating the skin on chicken. Where are your veggies? 2 cups a day or 1 and a salad. Are you drinking your water? 64 oz a day minimum.

I think you should pull out your book and revist the chapters on Induction again, cosima. Also, take a look in our Journal section at what others are eating for some ideas.

HTH
Nat
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 11:44

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

First of all...Where are your Veggies???????? You have to eat them. This is low carb...not no carb. Trying to loose faster, by not eating certain things doesn't work for this WOL, or at least that has been my experience. I don't see enough veggies, or fat...you need lots of fat too, with atkins.

Another thing you may want to look at is your plan. I was never much of a breakfast eater either, so I chose a plan that would allow me to skip a meal, if I wanted. I rarely do miss a meal anymore, due to the fact that I loose quicker when I eat 3 squares a day. But my point is not all plans work for everyone. So perhaps you might want to check out some different plans.

Don't give up...you can do this...think about how much better you feel. Even without any weightloss...surely you have noticed some health improvements. I hope this helps you...maybe you might want to start a journal, there you can be monitored daily to see what changes you need to make...Good luck...hang in there.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 11:58

BF:

I have yo yo'ed a bit, I do admit. In addition, yesterday I did have 2-4 oz Jarlberg cheese that I forgot to report I just checked with FITDAY (which is a great help).

My main cause of gaining is quitting smoking. I gained 40 lbs really fast - and now can't lose! I weighed myself - 173 today. UGHHH

What is the optimal fat to protein ratio for this? How do you rate animal fat versus dairy?

I am scared of veggies frankly, how to measure them so I don't overdo it in carbs.

I didn't realize nuts weren't on induction - thx - I'll cut them out too.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 12:00

BF:

Should I forgo artificial sweeteners as well? There goes jello...