Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 10:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/188/132
BF:42%
Progress: 8%
Default Bad Breath

Hi, I had bad breath BIG TIME! and I kept experimenting with various mouth washes and then one day I was on the internet and ran across these sites where they tell you if you use this toothpaste or that mouthwash that it contains the following things that should not be in it to get rid of bad breath. Well I immediately got up from my computer and got my tube of toothpaste and mouthwash and sure enough, there were those ingredients they spoke of. Well everything that is out on the market today, has the things that this guy is telling us that shouldn't be in toothpaste or mouthwash.

So I kept searching and then I ran across this and it made perfect sense. You will be surprised at the stuff you have on the back of your tongue that create sulfuric gases (the stuff that makes your breath stink).

So I figured, what the devil... I am going to purchase this tongue thing, then I wanted to purchase me a scale that measures my body fat and ran across the Breath Alert, well things were starting to look up. I purchased that too. BEST INVESTMENT I EVER MADE, better than the darn scale.

Then lastly, I was in the 99 cent Store and said let me pick up this mouthwash and saw "Alcohol Free" --everything I'd been using had alcohol, had everything the dentists on the internet site said should not be in there. So I found one without alcohol like he said and is sweetened with aspartame (just don't swallow), and walla.... NO BAD BREATH for hours on end... Anyway, here is my thought on this Bad Breath Thing, you throw your money away on everything else, invest in yourself this one time. It will be money well spent.

There is a site on the internet called "Tongue Sweeper.com" I find that when you clean off the back of your tongue all the sulfur that generates back there is cleaned with this product. It costs $12-19 depending on which one you pick. I find that the $19 one you can reach further to the back of the tongue than the other version, because it is made different. Note: Get the stainless steel as oppose to the plastic ones they have in the drugstores, as it does not clean half as good as the stainless steel...which also lasts forever.

Also try using an alcohol sugar free mouth wash like "Wake Up Alcohol Free Mouthwash made by Blue Cross Laboratories in Saugus, CA. I got it at a 99 cent store. Don't know how much the company is selling it for, but it would be a wise investment.

I had bad breath big time since starting this WOL. Since I been drinking my 80 ounces of water and using these products, I no longer have it.

Also another good thing to have while doing this diet is the breath meter. So you can guage your breath odor before anyone else can.

I purchased one for about $40. from a site called Tanita.com they make a breath meter called BREATH ALERT .

It is small enough to fit in the palm of your hands. You press the button on it and it makes a small beep meaning that it is "ready" then you blow into it, and it measures the sulfur on the back of your tongue. That is why it works hand in hand, I think with the tongue sweeper.

It goes from 1-5 (dots) the more dots, the worse your breath is. Since I started using the above tongue scrapper and mouthwash, my meter never goes over a 2 and holds there for 3-4 hours at a time.

I am not a salesperson , I am just a user of these products and vouch for how it works. Now I can talk again.

If you try any of the products that I suggested, please give me a holla, to let me know if it did infact help you. I don't want to lead anyone down a bad road, and this post helped someone other than myself.

Again, I believe it is a investment worth making in this journey for life.

Last edited by LindaC6724 : Fri, Mar-07-03 at 15:21.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 14:51

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

Thanks for the info! I've noticed that my breath is really bad since I started Atkins too. I get self conscious when I'm at work, so I always carry around a travel size Listerine with me everywhere and use it everytime I feel that yucky taste in my mouth! I'll check those links out

I forgot to mention that I do use a tongue scraper, but I've never thought about the back of my tongue!

Last edited by Yaseruzo~! : Fri, Mar-07-03 at 14:53.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 15:20

Default Hi Yaseruzo

Glad that I could help. Also that Listerine isn't helping the breath problem either as it has alcohol in it. But until you can get your hands on mouthwash that does not contain sugar and alcohol, do what you have to do.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 15:28
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Me too Yas! I travel with listernine and my tooothbrush but I feel so self-conscious now talking to people. Thanks Linda, I will check it out.

red
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 22:35

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default interesting!

Do you remember what the ingredients that cause bad breath are? (alcohol in mouth wash, what about toothpaste?)

And did you ever find a toothpaste without that ingredient?

Thanks for sharing!
Sheri
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 08:36

Post To Nitrovixen

If you go under the search engine on the internet that I specified regarding the tongue scraper or just type in bad breath, a bunch of sites will come up. If you read "what causes bad breath" they will explain to you want the over the counter products have in them ingredient wise which helps cause bad breath.

Some products I tried, but to no avail. The only thing that seemed to work for me is what I have written above.

Hope that was of some help to you.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 10:35
Registered Member

Stats: 185/170/140
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thanks for all that information! I will check it out!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 00:05

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default mouthwash!

I found some alcohol free mouthwash at Rite Aid. They had 3 or 4 kinds, the one I bought was Rembrandt. It seems really good, I just barely tried it before dinner and then right now. I'm pleasantly surprised how minty clean my mouth feels even without alcohol! (I always assumed the alcohol was what made the mouthwash do it's job) I can't wait to see how well it works after a few hours. My BF tried it too but misses the burn... he's a die hard Listerine man! Totally addicted to the stuff.

Thanks for telling us about this Linda!

SJ