Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 15:03
Paper beats rock?!?

Plan: Atkins! (Maintenance)
Stats: 178/147.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default HI, paleos! Your wisdom re: salad dressing?

I'm planning on cutting out dairy for a while, but I'm having a hard time finding recipes for salad dressings that don't include cream, sour cream, etc.

It dawned on me that the Paleos on this forum are the best resource I could wish for in regard to non-dairy recipes!

I know a lot of you don't eat dairy, so do you mind me asking what you put on your salads or raw veggies? Any recipes -- or links to such recipes -- would be greatly appreciated! (I promise, I did do a board search in this subforum for dressing recipes, but no luck. This might be indicative of my poor search skills, I think. )

Thanks!
Aeryn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 15:20

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

You won't go wrong with a basic viniagrette. Some paleos frown on vinegar but most I know eat it. Prowl around on the web for recipes.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 16:22

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Olive oil with freshly squeezed lemon and fresh herbs
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 16:28
Paper beats rock?!?

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Olive oil with freshly squeezed lemon and fresh herbs

Can I ask what sort of fresh herbs? I'm really a bit of a dunce when it comes to seasonings. Do you mean, chopped up fresh parsley? Or...?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 17:02

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here's a post I made a little while ago that has a bunch of salad dressing recipes:
http://forums.lowcarber.org/showpos...39&postcount=11
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 17:52

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
Here's a post I made a little while ago that has a bunch of salad dressing recipes:
http://forums.lowcarber.org/showpos...39&postcount=11

Kallyn, you are a pearl beyond price. Always ready with a wonderful recipe.

How's your doggie?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 17:55

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeryn
Can I ask what sort of fresh herbs? I'm really a bit of a dunce when it comes to seasonings. Do you mean, chopped up fresh parsley? Or...?
Yes, parsley, chives, basil, whatever I feel like at the moment. But just olive oil & lemon juice is good too.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 18:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My all time favorite salad dressing is olive oil and rice vinegar. Neither of which are paleo, but hey, I love it! I just put on the oil first, then sprinkle on the rice vinegar.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 18:18
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Paleo
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 0%

I either use olive oil and balsamic vinegar or go without it depends on what I'm putting in the salad. And when I have time I'll add a little mustard for emulsion and a little bite. Normally, if I make a salad of mixed greens, tomato and avocado I don't feel the need for dressing at all. I've never understood the need of so many people to slather their salads in mayo based dressings. To me this seems as if they don't really enjoy the taste of the veggies.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 18:41
Paper beats rock?!?

BF:

Bionda, because of their texture, I'm not a huge fan of some veggies that I nevertheless want to eat. Raw spinach, for instance, icks me out a bit... dressing helps a lot to dispel my awareness of how rubbery it feels.

Nancy, that combo sounds pretty intriguing! I'll look and see if I've got some rice vinegar around.

Kallyn, you absolutely rock. That is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, and didn't manage to find. Thanks so much!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 19:09

Plan: Paleo diet
Stats: 215/175/125 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:
Progress:

I don't use dressing...but that's just me. I agree with the olive oil w/ lemon...does the right trick if you really need the extra flavors. I once put honey on my salad...that was weird, to say the least.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 22:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
Kallyn, you are a pearl beyond price. Always ready with a wonderful recipe.

How's your doggie?

Oh you're gonna make me blush!

She was gradually doing doing better, but we had some more fireworks tonight so we'll see how the next few days go. I wanted to strangle someone with my bare hands when those fireworks started going off tonight!!! I guess that is my paleo instinct kicking in, lol.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 22:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeryn
Kallyn, you absolutely rock. That is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, and didn't manage to find. Thanks so much!

No problem! I hope you like them!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-07, 04:27
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 220/207/170 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 26%

At the risk of starting an international flame war , having come from an English background I was not aware that there was such a thing as salad dressing until I went to Greece as a teenager and they were putting oil and vinegar and stuff on their salads.

Nevertheless I have enjoyed salads all my life and the English method is:

Take lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, sprouts (e.g watercress), sliced boiled eggs, canned salmon or chicken pieces, olives, grated carrots, sliced oranges as garnishing, sliced boiled sweet beetroots, sliced bell peppers....

Arrange in a 'cyclical' fashion on the plate and just enjoy. No need to cover it with a sauce.

Internationally a common criticism of the USA's obesity 'crisis' (and of course our similar crisis here in Australia) is to poke fun at Americans who :

"Even have to cover their salads with sauces"

Not trying to suggest that any poster is being 'stupid', just a suggestion to go back to basics and let your taste buds do the walking
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-07, 10:05
Paper beats rock?!?

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum2
having come from an English background I was not aware that there was such a thing as salad dressing until I went to Greece as a teenager and they were putting oil and vinegar and stuff on their salads.

That's so surprising to me, as my best friend growing up was British -- they moved over when she was eight -- and I remember her mother making the most delicious tossed salad with stale bread bits inside the salad, and this creamy parmesan dressing on it. ??? Maybe Londoners caught on faster to how tasty dressings can be?

I will try your recipe though, minus the oranges and the other HG stuff I'm not eating. It sounds delicious!!