Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 16:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default Went to a workshop...

... at a "Wellness" conference yesterday. The speaker was a Registered Dietician. It was a basic presentation covering the usual info.

But now that I'm becoming so well acquainted with Atkins and LCing, I found a few things quite interesting.

- She spoke about insulin production and similar subjects - topics found in, yes, Atkins books.

- She spoke of avoiding white flour, white sugar foods, etc, - topics found in yes, Atkins books.

- She spoke of supplementing with vitamins & minerals - topics found in, yes again, Atkins books.

- Carbohydrates - she said they were "given a really bad rap these days" hee hee, but then went on the say that the best carbs come from fruit, vegetables, grains & cereals (not sugar & syrup) - all available on Atkins in later phases.

- She also mentioned that women over 40 should not have any grains after 5pm (news to me, but sounding a little more like LCing?)

- Protein - have protein at every meal. Then added: "I'm not saying to do Atkins or South Beach." Mind you, she didn't say not to either?!

- Fats - the daily percentage recommended (30%) might be different from Atkins (maybe depending which Phase?), but here is a partial list of Quality Fats to include: Olive, canola, hemp, peanut oil; nuts, seeds, soy; fatty fish or fish oil supplements; Omega 3 eggs; olives, avocados.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone else???? I'm beginning to think the "establishment" doesn't want to recognize that not only is this a healthy WOL, but there are a lot of similarities to what they're recommending.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 16:06
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I once went to Wellness conference like this a year ago. And the dietician had to agree a lot with the Atkins principles. BUT...the one thing that she was that was very back was letting your body go into ketosis. She was one who believed that ketosis was the act of your body using the mussels and such for energy. I didn't have the heart to tell here that I live for ketosis
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 16:17

Plan: CAD maintenance
Stats: // Female 63
BF:
Progress: 123%

Haha I agree, I took a nutrition class before and alot of the teacher's recommendations for a healthy diet sounded exactly like Atkins Maintenance. She apparently was part of the "Atkins = bacon and eggs" mindset.

MaryToU- I see you're in Maintenance (congrats on your fantastic weight loss btw)... I thought we were supposed to be out of ketosis in maintenance?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 16:22

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

Yes, I think a lot of people are agreeing with what Atkins reccommended but they surely don't want to admit it. Its like they have a real hang up about it.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 17:23
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

The main hold-up, though, is most are against the severe carb restriction in the beginning stages of Atkins, and the misguided notion of SOME "Atkins followers" that gorging on fatty meats (gorging being the operative word here...the eat all you can hold mentality) and living without whole classes of foods is good. Atkins is more than induction, and many people don't know that. Even people who have read the book, and claim to be following the plan sometimes turn it into something it's not. I can see why the mainstream dieticians are hesitant to endorse it when there's still so much misinformation about it.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 18:47

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryToU
I once went to Wellness conference like this a year ago. And the dietician had to agree a lot with the Atkins principles. BUT...the one thing that she was that was very back was letting your body go into ketosis. She was one who believed that ketosis was the act of your body using the mussels and such for energy. I didn't have the heart to tell here that I live for ketosis

ugh, experts.

What is interesting about ketosis is it is a normal body function.Everyone experiences it at one time or another. Actually if your insulin is balanced, you will go into ketosis.

Therefore, we all ( except T1 diabetics ) live for ketosis.
Chances are, this dietician was in ketosis.

Black57
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 20:42
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

*warning...ramble ahead LOL*

What kills me is that so many people think all you eat on Atkins is RED MEAT! I have had to tell SO many idiots who ask me about this what Atkins really is about. UGGH!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 21:24

Stats: 320/224/175 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 66%

I know what you mean, Kristy! I met a friend for lunch recently, (hadn't seen her for a couple of months) and when she saw my big salad with mushrooms, eggs, cheese and a couple of cherry tomatoes (with oil and vinegar dressing) she said "Oh, you aren't doing Atkins any longer?" I said sure, why? She was shocked--"you mean you can eat VEGETABLES?"

ARRRRRGH!!!

Sometimes when I'm out with friends, I just want to order a rare steak and pick it up with my fingers and bite off a chunk and eat it with the drippings getting all over my face and then say "THERE ARE YOU HAPPY? I'M EATING RED MEAT".

but then I snap out of it!!

~Debbie~LoveSong~
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 21:37

BF:

They may be against the severe carb restriction on Induction, but many other "diets" have a "kick-start" phase as well. It's all just so much media hype gone wild.

We have a potluck coming up at work, and I've been thinking of making an LC tofu salad with a warning sign on it "BEWARE: LOW CARB STAY AWAY!" for a certain rude person in our office who thinks it's just meat too.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 23:03

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

I would'nt call a 'wellness conference' the 'establishment', if it is trying to advertsie some link to the wellness movement which i assume (?) it is.

The wellness movement is really an extension of holistic approach to medicine, and these wellness conferences are a new phenomeon. There is some interesting stuff out there about the strength of the movement and the sprining up of 'wellness clinics', these conferences, oxygen bars, vitamin sales increasing - all part of a new (well maybe 10 years now) social movement encouraged by both American consumerism and the desire to live for ever, fears of an aging population. Rocky, I bet if this thing was plugging itself as a wellness conference, indicating its part in this movement, it would have also had lectures on acupucture or theraputic uses of vitamins or muscle massage?

I think the wellness movement, which is occurring in some parts of the health fraternity as well as in the community, often advocates a South Beach type diet. What the RD said seems pretty typical - Good fats, bad fats; and good carbs, bad carbs.

And yes, that can be Atkins at some point. I probably eat the way she describes.

So I think that 'the establishment' doesn't accept us. But I do think that 'the establishment' is splintering off a new group, responding to the wellness revoloution, that takes a more holistic approach and includes SB.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 23:54

BF:

In this case it may be that it's a case of misused terminology. They did use the term "wellness", however I would say it was the "establishment" putting it on - meaning my employer, and it was not open to the public.

Or it could be that it's considered "wellness" from a work point of view. There was no breakout sessions that could be considered wholistic, unfortunately. I did still find it valuable though.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 00:50

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Atkins is more than induction, and many people don't know that. Even people who have read the book, and claim to be following the plan sometimes turn it into something it's not. I can see why the mainstream dieticians are hesitant to endorse it when there's still so much misinformation about it.

I totally agree with you, potatofree! And maybe this is the big problem....we all complain about "the establishment" and the general population having the wrong view of the Atkins woe, but how many people who actually do Atkins and are successful also have a wrong view of it? There are so many on this board that do "induction" right up to their goal weight...and some even after. I don't know their situations, and everyone is different, and I'm sure some can't tolerate much more than induction level of carbs...but certainly not as many as actually stay there til maintenance. It's like people are scared to trust the WHOLE plan...they're only willing to trust the first stage. Maybe this is one of the reasons why Atkins hasn't been accepted in the "mainstream" so far.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 01:22

Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'5
BF:?/26%/21%
Progress: 35%

I heard a dietician speak too. She was very against the Atkins diet, but when I confronted her and asked how she felt about the later stages of atkins (though I simply described it, not stating that's what it was) she said it sounded like a healthy way to eat.

I think when they say they are against the atkins diet it is because they (for some unknown reason) believe everyone stays at induction for their entire life. That would explain why this lady I heard speak said no one can do it forever. I wish they'd just learn about it and own up to the fact that it can be good if done properly.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 09:16
Getting back to me

Plan: LC WW
Stats: 176/167.2/145 Female 5'7" in
BF:
Progress: 28%

And just to add to

Quote:
It's like people are scared to trust the WHOLE plan...they're only willing to trust the first stage. Maybe this is one of the reasons why Atkins hasn't been accepted in the "mainstream" so far.

IMHO, this is also why many people don't stick with it to the end...they never go on.

Dana