Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 08:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Try the on-line used book stores, even Amazon has some of the books.
http://www.amazon.com/Diet-Workshop...=pd_sim_sbs_b_1
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 15:27
CherryCola

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I think on September 30th we should revive this thread to celebrate its 10th Birthday!

(But seriously, I think I remember having a copy of this book as a teen!!)
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 19:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

The part that cracks me up is that someone remembers losing weight well on it... in the 1970's.

We were all younger then!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-13, 09:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/245/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Everyone, I am starting my search for information on the 1970s DietWorkshop Diet for a friend. She is not computer savvy and is wondering if there are chapters in the Maryland area. Also, she was wondering if there is a number where she can speak to a person about receiving information since she misplaced the papers and the diet worked really well for her. Also, she tried the 1800 number that she had and it was disconnected.
I tried dietworkshop.com but to me it looks like the website is no longer in service.
Thanks.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-13, 09:41

BF:
Progress:
Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Girl
The original Diet Watcher Workshop was this:
Breakfast: 1 egg or 1 oz. cheese, 1 oz. meat or animal protein and 1 slice of bread or 3/4 c. dry, non-sweetened cereal.
Lunch: 2 eggs or 4 oz meat or animal protein, or 4 oz. cheese and 1 slice of bread or 1/2 c. cooked rice or whole grain or 1 cup vegetables or 2 c. green salad.
Dinner: 3 eggs or 6 oz. meat or animal protein and 4 oz. cooked vegetables.
Also: 2 c. nonfat milk per day is allowed and 3 pieces of fruit.
There were lists of approved vegetables and fruit. Diet sodas, coffee & tea, artificial sweeteners were allowed.
I was on this diet in 1971. It went defunct some years later when Weight Watchers became more popular. The program was run like a WW program--weekly weigh-ins, records were kept, lectures given, recipes provided.

Thank you so much River Girl. This will be a great starting point for the information I need for my friend!
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-13, 10:00

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissaml
Hi Everyone, I am starting my search for information on the 1970s DietWorkshop Diet for a friend. She is not computer savvy and is wondering if there are chapters in the Maryland area. Also, she was wondering if there is a number where she can speak to a person about receiving information since she misplaced the papers and the diet worked really well for her. Also, she tried the 1800 number that she had and it was disconnected.
I tried dietworkshop.com but to me it looks like the website is no longer in service.
Thanks.

Did you read the earlier posts to this thread? The OP, who was looking for this diet over ten years ago, found the organization in its new form and the diet, back then - ten years ago, had gone lf/high carb. Is there any way your friend used to post here about ten years ago, but quit because she wasn't good with the computer? The other thing is that she remembers doing well on it as a teen, but teens can lose much more successfully than adults because of their youth. She might not do as well these days. It was stated in this thread at one point, that that diet was very much like Atkins in his first book. That will be much easier to find at used paperback shops or used on Amazon. Also, if you scroll through these posts, the actual page in the book where Doc Atkins gives the specific regimented plan that she seems to do well with. Good luck to you and your friend as well. It might really help her if you would help her do just enough on the computer to come here and join up.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-13, 05:06

For anyone nostalgic for the weight loss we had as teens, as Anne mentioned the 1972 Atkins was similar, and a buddy group, with program rules, is already here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=386471

I volunteer for a huge booksale every year, and come upon many low carb diet books even before Atkins, but they are basically the same, though some with more fat restriction. The AirForce diet, Dr Stillman (buddy group for that one too), etc. I am preparing for my 40th college reunion, so while it would be nice to lose weight like a teen, alas, some extra effort is required.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-13, 05:35

BF:

How many times have we heard "Gosh, I dropped weight like crazy _this way_ back in the '70's!"

A whole lot was different back in the '70's

Why do humans act like nothing changes? I'd sure lose weight if I still made the same money now as I did in the '70's , because I'd starve! We treasure good relationships which deepen, and chafe at the ones who do not mature. And those of us who garden would hate going out to peek at the seeds, and never see them pop out of the earth!

We're here because we want CHANGE.

Last edited by WereBear : Tue, Feb-26-13 at 08:24.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-13, 12:49

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
...I am preparing for my 40th college reunion, so while it would be nice to lose weight like a teen, alas, some extra effort is required.

I went and looked at your gallery and you are beautiful as you are. I promise your classmates will be envious. I would be. I also love your hair in the 'after' photo. Mine is gray and I'm only 52, because color just slides right off no matter who puts it on or how much it costs.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-13, 10:03

BF:
Progress:
Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
Did you read the earlier posts to this thread? The OP, who was looking for this diet over ten years ago, found the organization in its new form and the diet, back then - ten years ago, had gone lf/high carb. Is there any way your friend used to post here about ten years ago, but quit because she wasn't good with the computer? The other thing is that she remembers doing well on it as a teen, but teens can lose much more successfully than adults because of their youth. She might not do as well these days. It was stated in this thread at one point, that that diet was very much like Atkins in his first book. That will be much easier to find at used paperback shops or used on Amazon. Also, if you scroll through these posts, the actual page in the book where Doc Atkins gives the specific regimented plan that she seems to do well with. Good luck to you and your friend as well. It might really help her if you would help her do just enough on the computer to come here and join up.

Thank you so much, CallmeAnn. I did read some of the posts to this thread, and you make some points that I will tell her. As far as I know she never got on this forum ten years ago. From what she told me she is seeking a support group and I asked my mom's boss for her assistance, and found a group that may meet her needs.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-15, 08:50

Plan: adkins
Stats: 200/200/150 Female 5"4"
BF:
Progress:

[QUOTE=sherol]I DO NOT HAVE THE DIET ANYMORE
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-16, 11:38

Plan: Workshop diet
Stats: 167/167/140 Female 5 3
BF:
Progress:

Do you still have this diet?? If so how can I get a copy?

THANK YOU!
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-16, 13:20

Please read all the posts on this page from the top (#31).
Might find it in used book stores.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-16, 18:36

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Even IF the diet were still around, most people who go low carb do better, over the long term, on true Atkins or Phinney and Volek's diet, or something similar.

Limiting all three: carbs, protein and fat is called a starvation diet, and most of us could lose on that, but not STAY on that. With LCHF, there is enough of both protein and fat to take care of the necessary bodily functions, while promoting the use of our own body fat to shrink ourselves.

There is a reason that this diet is no longer around: the results were not able to be maintained, along with the fact that the followers of Ansel Keys bullied the population into believing that fat was evil and carbs were good.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-16, 23:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
There is a reason that this diet is no longer around: the results were not able to be maintained, along with the fact that the followers of Ansel Keys bullied the population into believing that fat was evil and carbs were good.

Exactly.

In addition, I often see people looking for a diet that will "let" them carb cycle, or "allow more carbs" or is "less strict" or even "more strict" and I wish to point out, very firmly, that it does not matter what the diet says.

What matters is how our individual bodies work. Our body is the one who sets the carb level, reacts to exercise (or not) and accepts certain kinds of carbs and reacts to others with cravings and weight gain.

The diet can't tell us that. The forum can't tell us that. Only our body can.

The very best plans are the ones we all craft for ourselves.