Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-24-09, 06:13
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo and Keto
Stats: 224/215/147 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default A Bad Year

Its been a while since I posted but thought I would feed back what been going on. It may help someone at some point.

I have had a really bad year. I developed a type of inflammatory arthritis and my blood work came back clear of RA, Lupus etc. It just showed raised ESR and CRP. However, the blood work showed that my tyroid meds were not working. I knew it was the meds but GP insisted it was dose. However, I insisted on eltroxin and she insisted on dose increase - perfect result!

However, arthritis symptoms did not go away and almost ending up losing mobility. Could not get up from floor, could not squat, and getting up in morning was mammoth task requiring husband to help. Thought I was dying to be honest.

Decided to low carb, cut out all carbs, but continued to eat fruit, read this would help reduce inflammation, thought maybe would also lose weight. Low carbing atkins usually makes me ill.

I really went for it, after 3 weeks, symptoms no better and no weight loss. Went into week 4 and the weight came off and carried on coming off.

I have lost total of about 40-42 pounds, I fluctuate a little. I lost 49 lbs but the maintenance is taking some working out.

I plan to take off another 21 lbs by next Feb.

The arthritis is under control with steroids. The rheumatologist was impressed that I had not gained weight on prednisolone. I still feel that as the steroid dosgae is reducing the arthritis is rearing its ugly head so will have to take methotrexate over the longer term. However, I feel that it is being controlled and do feel more positive about ot.

The new diet has made me feel the most healthy since I was my HypoT was diagnosed in 2003 (Hashi's in 2008) and I am now absolutely convinced that I have an issue with gluten. I feel like a new person.

I know that 168 lbs is not super slim but I do look so much better and I like some of my clothes these days!

Take care xxx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-24-09, 11:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have (had?) a autoimmune arthritis that is pretty miserable. It's called Ankylosing Spondylitis. Anyway, getting off grains (gluten in particular) and dairy really improved the symptoms. I was also low carb at the time it was diagnosed but not gluten free.

Basically in me it was a mild presentation, in severe cases it can turn your spine into a rock. Scared the hell out of me seeing pictures of people frozen by it. My main symptom was that any and all joints could hurt even my ribs. Sometimes it hurt even to breathe.

Oh another thing you should look into is vitamin D deficiency.

Here's a good place to read up on it: http://vitamindcouncil.org

I also recently started taking a tsp of cod liver oil and a tablespoon of Carlson's Fish oil daily and that seems to have helped a lot! So maybe I was deficient in vit. A too. I heard that there's a gene in people of English derivation that causes vit. A deficiency fairly frequently. But it is important also not to take too much.

Steroids are awful things, very hard on the body. I hope you can get off them.