Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 23:14

Plan: PP
Stats: 149.5/140.5/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Question Loss slowing after switch from Atkins to PP?

I did Atkins induction for 2 weeks and lost 6lbs -- not as much as I thought I would lose, but still in the "average" range for my height and start weight.

I've switched to PP because I didn't like eating so much fat, and PP seemed a bit healthier all around.

But even though my calories are the same/slightly lower (about 1600-1700 per day) and carbs are still about 25, sometimes 30 per day, I don't seem to be losing weight.

The only thing that's really changed is the breakdown of where my calories come from. Now it's averaging 65% fat, 28% protein, 7% carb. Is my fat intake too low, and could that be slowing me down? The advice on Atkins is always to up the fat...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 08:45

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i actually switch from atkins to pp to start loosing again. i noticed that i need to eat around 8-10% times my weight in calories to loose. so for 200lbs that is between 1600 and 2000 calories per day. from your stats i noticed you are currently 141lbs. i think it may be your calories are too high, 10*141 would be 1410 calories. another thing some of us over here in pp have tried is upping our carbs. that has worked for some also.

my suggestion is whatever you try, give it a good 2 weeks to see if it is working before changing something else.

good luck

just one suggestion.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 12:09

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default An interesting point...

This is an interesting point you raise, Acipenser. I am on PP, a female age 52, height 5 feet 2 inches, moderate exercise (3-4x week, 45 minutes/session), no meds, weigh 115 with a goal of 105. I am currently eating between 1300 and 1400 calories per day and have not lost anything for months. According to the 8-10% yardstick you mention, I should be taking in no more than about 1150 calories or even less.

Would that be a reasonable assumption to make?

Anyone else reading this have any thoughts?

Many thanks!

Best, Sona
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 12:36

Plan: PP
Stats: 149.5/140.5/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Yikes -- that calorie system sounds so low! I'm 5'8" and I exercise (Pilates), and I do get hungry sometimes at 1600 calories. Fitday shows me at nearly a 1000-calorie deficit every day. Is there something about PP that requires the much lower calorie level?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 15:14

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i am not sure that it is a PP recomendation. however it is something i have noticed a few people have talked about. i can look in my bood tonight and see if there is and PP recomendations about calories.

at my current weight 1800 calories suites me just fine. i am not sure what advice to give both of you because your current weights are so much lower then mine to begin with.

maybe one of our other resident PP'ers can shed some light....

sory i am not a PP expert. just giving some info on what i have heard/read other people talking about.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 09:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The only type of fat that PP seems to frown upon is dairy foods high in fat. But Atkins is similar. Nowhere does he advise that people eat high amounts dairy products that are high in fat. I think the bacon and steak thing came about because people can actually eat these things again and a lot of people are not that experimental when it comes to breakfast.

The plans are similar with PP's focus being on getting adequate protein. If you look at Atkins OWL, the foods on PP are part of finding your CCL.

The 10-12 times your body weight in calories is usually used to illustrate that you need a certain amount of calories to sustain your basal metabolic rate. So when people were dropping dangerously low in calories, they were told to up their calories.

If you've added foods that you weren't eating on Atkins into the mix, your body is probably trying to figure out what to do with it. Once it has figured it out, things will start moving again.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 18:32

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

One more thing. Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly, but it sounds like you've been LCing for only 2 weeks. You're forgetting about the infamous "post-Induction stall."

When I did Atkins Induction, I lost 6 pounds in the first 2 weeks, and then NOTHING for more than 2 months. At the end of that time, however, I was able to fit into a pair of jeans that wouldn't even make it up over my hips when I started Induction. At the end of that 2 months, I got them over my hips and even zipped!

It is soooooooooo common to experience a period of no weight loss after Induction. Remember, you lose mostly water during Induction and your body needs to adjust.

Hang in there. If you don't like all the fat, don't eat it. Nobody says you need to. Just because you can eat bacon and cheese and beef doesn't mean you have to.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 14:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You also lose weight much, much slower the closer you start to goal. If you had 100 pounds to lose, you'd probably have lost a lot more in induction.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 09:36

Plan: Atkins,SB,GI now!
Stats: 217/206/150 Female 5'4''
BF:i/cant/count
Progress: 16%

I've been reading the Protein Power book lately, hoping that incorporating some of their principles into my daily WOE. And I think that measuring my protein servings ( 64.2 grams a day or 21.4 a meal according to PP) and upping my carb intake to 25-30 is what jump started my weight loss again. All in all, I think that Protein Power is a great book to read, even if you don't follow the plan.