Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 08:21
Registered Member

Plan: clean eating, semi LC
Stats: 142/138.5/120 Female 5ft1
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Does anyone lift weights and do callanetics?

I just dug out my old callanetics video today and plan on doing it regularly but am also awaiting some books on beginner weight lifting as I am now convinced it is the best way to lose the flab, I was wondering if anyone is doing both and how it is working out. I am hoping the callanetics will help lengthen my newly strengthened muscles and the lifting will give the muscles definition.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-09-09, 20:22
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 139/128.2/115 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Hi! Im new here, but would like to share my exercise routine with you. Do you mean to say calisthenics? as in exercises? if not, I dont know the type you are talking about then! But I have made a schedule of what I do along with using an Atkins Induction program. I do both aerobics and resistance training, which is the exercises with weights. I dont use heavy weights, but enough that my muscles feel like they are doing work. I will ride my Spin bike and walk on the treadmill after I do my resistance exercises. I found it was difficult to do this the first few days of Induction, but now its a breeze. Its true about the body changing over to using fat as energy and not carbs or sugars. I wouldve never believed this til I tried it. I feel that doing both the resistance exercises and aerobic is better than just one. Well good luck to you!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-10-09, 00:38
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for sharing Mickie, I also have got through the sluggish induction and find I have loads of energy for my workputs now Callanetics is a type of exercise that uses small movements that work deep in the muscle. I answered my own question the first week I started weight training, there was no way I could have done any other exercise but now I think I could probably add some thing on non weight days, maybe something for the stomach and HIIT.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-10-09, 06:06
Registered Member

BF:

Yesterday I spent the day out with my 2 daughters shopping for bridesmaid dresses. It was pretty tiring all that walking around. Not like regular exercise! But I found it was difficult to find something to eat and stay on the LC! We went to Taco Bell, so I ended up eating the inside of 2 Fresco Chicken Taco, which wasnt much! The taco was mostly taco shell (probably all carbs). Then I found some almonds (a 4lb bag!) at a nearby store that sells Indian products. So I had a small handful of those. After we got home, I finally got to sit down and eat some roast chicken. Then I had more almonds and an Atkins Endulge bar. That was the best! I actually couldnt remember if I ate anything else, bc I was off my usual schedule. During the work week, I have it all planned out. I bring everything I need with me and have a set time to eat. But this "freestyle" eating made me kind of scared that I'd go wild with the food. I was afraid I had gained weight back from eating so erractically. But to my happy surprise, I stepped on the scale this morning and no weight gain! But I didnt lose anything either. Up til now, I had been losing weight steadily. But Im back on a schedule today!

Last edited by mickieb : Sun, May-10-09 at 06:08. Reason: typo
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 00:18
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickieb
Yesterday I spent the day out with my 2 daughters shopping for bridesmaid dresses. It was pretty tiring all that walking around. Not like regular exercise! But I found it was difficult to find something to eat and stay on the LC! We went to Taco Bell, so I ended up eating the inside of 2 Fresco Chicken Taco, which wasnt much! The taco was mostly taco shell (probably all carbs). Then I found some almonds (a 4lb bag!) at a nearby store that sells Indian products. So I had a small handful of those. After we got home, I finally got to sit down and eat some roast chicken. Then I had more almonds and an Atkins Endulge bar. That was the best! I actually couldnt remember if I ate anything else, bc I was off my usual schedule. During the work week, I have it all planned out. I bring everything I need with me and have a set time to eat. But this "freestyle" eating made me kind of scared that I'd go wild with the food. I was afraid I had gained weight back from eating so erractically. But to my happy surprise, I stepped on the scale this morning and no weight gain! But I didnt lose anything either. Up til now, I had been losing weight steadily. But Im back on a schedule today!

You did well! I do find I have to be very organised on this diet and make sure I have legal things to eat! Since I started lifting weights the scale hasn't moved
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 05:22
Registered Member

BF:

I looked up the callanetics and it was really interesting! So I ordered the "Callanetics Evolution" through the internet!

And I know what you mean by being organized for this LC. I was pretty much off my regular schedule this weekend, but its Monday so I have my usual foods packed for work. I didnt gain or lose any weight this weekend. Thank goodness! I hope getting back into the week's routine will get me back on track.

Keep at the exercise, bc it can only help you. Did you check your daily total carbs? Maybe it needs a little tweak?

Last edited by mickieb : Mon, May-11-09 at 05:26. Reason: typo
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-12-09, 07:43
Registered Member

BF:

I don't actually strictly count carbs but only eat what is on the allowed foods list on Atkins but for example I don't weigh out my green veggies, I only eat a small amount of cheese and everything else has negligible carbs like meat and fish, I do now and then have this diet bar which has less than 5 countable carbs but it has never knocked me out of ketosis and that is less than once a week so far. It is also my ovulation week and I would normally gain a lb or 2 so I guess I should be grateful that I am not gaining!

I hope you like the Callanetics, I would really like to do it along with the weights but Í am lifting 4 times a week and callanetics works deep in the muscle so it is hard to do and give my muscles time to rest and recover, maybe when I am more used to the weights I can start up.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-12-09, 17:37
Registered Member

BF:

Sometimes women have it bad when it comes to our hormones and all. But we do what we can and hopefully we will succeed. I am anxiously waiting for the Callanetics DVD! I am always looking for new (in this case, old) ways of exercising that may be beneficial. I like the idea of small movements and it working on deeper tissues. It sounds like it really does a good job! If it does a really good job, I may change my resistant weight work to be able to do the Callanetics. The last couple days, I lost no weight whatsoever! I too am coming up to my period. Its been erratic the past year, so I cant predict when it will come. So maybe, like you, the hormones are doing a job keeping on the weight.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-13-09, 06:11
Registered Member

BF:

I am trying to not be bothered by the scale, today I have noticed some real definition in my biceps while cleaning a mirror and some trousers I bought from the net 2 weeks ago were a bit tight around the butt and thighs and are now baggy, woohoo, it's working You will have to let me knoiw what you think about the callanetics, I did my lower body workout today and although I am a bit sore I reckon I could do callanetics but then I wouldn't be resting my muscles would I?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-13-09, 11:08
Registered Member

BF:

Alternate days for muscle groups, such as biceps and triceps work one day and next would be shoulders and back. Its working different muscles each time and will give the others a rest. I havent been doing much legwork since all my cardio is on my legs. What I am waiting to disappear is my "muffin" but thats going to be purely weight loss. No way around that one!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-26-09, 16:38
Registered Member

BF:

I finally got my Callenetics DVD and tried it out today. Im a little disappointed though that it wasnt a challenge as I hoped it would be. But I did do the whole DVD and tried it out. I will keep it in my collection and do it when I feel like having a slower workout. I hope I was doing it right.

I did go back to my other DVDs for today and it was nice to get a long workout. So I got some cardio and weights.

Ive also moved on with the Atkins diet, kind of skipped the next step, by not following it exactly. I havent lost any weight for a couple weeks, so I wanted to try a little something different. Im kind of counting carbs, but more so with the calories. I guess old habits dont die too quickly. But I havent abandoned Atkins though.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 17:06

Plan: um... a basic one?
Stats: 160/150/150 Male 5'10'
BF:
Progress:

I've heard the navy seals use callanetics so that's a thumbs up from some people who know a thing or two!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 05:17
Registered Member

BF:

As they say, everyone is different and not one plan is good for everyone. Have you tried that Callanectics DVD Stevewood? If so, what did you think of it?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 12:13

Plan: um... a basic one?
Stats: 160/150/150 Male 5'10'
BF:
Progress:

No, can't say I have.

I have a book about Bruce Lee called "The Art of Expressing the Human Body" in which it describes his callanetics workouts.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 17:22
Registered Member

BF:

Stevewood: Im not sure if you really know what Callanetics is. Bruce Lee died in 1973 or so. Callanetics came about in the 1980's, by a woman, Callan Pinckney. I may have spelled her incorrecly. There is no way Bruce Lee couldve been talking about Callanetics. Maybe you are thinking of "calisthenics", which is really another word for exercises. He did talk about calisthenics in his book.

Also, the Navy Seals, have a very rigorous training program. They do isometric exercises as part of this, however, I dont think they do Callanetics in particular. Again, I think you are confusing the word with calisthenics.