Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-08, 15:59

Plan: Adkins-With tweaks
Stats: 182.5/166.2/140 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default nausia durring work out

I'v been working out for some time. I've recently bought a book on strength training. Lean, Long & Strong by Wini Linguvic I like the work-outs, there fairly short and really do seam to working well for me.
My problem that I get intense head-aches and they last for a good hour after the work out. I also get severe nausea in the begining, but it goes away pretty quickly.
Does anyone know why I have these problems? I only get them when I work-out, I just started with this book about 3 weeks ago, thats when they started. I don't have this problem with cardio.

Any ideas?

Jacki
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 00:20

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 227/178/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 117%

I'm not familiar with that particular book or workout. But, some who do extremely intense workouts, don't think their exercise session was challenging enough unless they throw-up ! - - You might want to be checked out by your doctor to make sure everything is o.k. - - but you could very well be pushing into territory that youre just not used to yet. Give it some time for your body to adapt. - - (Also as a suggestion, try to keep your facial muscles, neck, etc relaxed when you lift. On those times when I have experienced headaches, it was usually due to straining and 'making faces' during heavy lifts. When I relaxed during workouts the headaches disappeared
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 09:36

Plan: Adkins-With tweaks
Stats: 182.5/166.2/140 Female 70
BF:

Thanks, I'll have to ask if I make funny faces when I lift. DH will probably like that!

I've heard of certain types of excercises giving nausea do to intensity. I didn't think these were that bad. I do natice a difference though.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 17:04
Never Give Up!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I get this way too, with lifting but not with cardio. I hardly ever lift weights, at most once a week, or when I just don't feel like getting on the treadmill. I assume I feel sick because I am not used to it, and it's hard as hell - I absolutely hate lifting weights, but do it because it good for me. I find that if I take longer breaks in between sets, I don't get as nauseated. I also hate the extreme muscle soreness and exhaustion I get the next day.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-08, 23:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I'm surprised I don't have this problem. I caught sight of myself on the assisted chin-up machine towards the end of a set of reps, and my face was contorted trying to muscle up for those last 2 reps.

But, my goodness, those endorphins are addictive!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-08, 13:25

Plan: Carb cycling
Stats: 225/164/155 Male 5'8
BF:~15%
Progress: 87%

I experianced this when i was on atkins a few years back when i was heavy lifting or doing high intensity cardio. The only solution for me was to add some carbs in around my workouts, or have a "carb up" day now and again. As a first resort try taking in more water if your not already, else look up the CKD diet and see how it works for you.

p.s. Also ensure that you are breathing correctly when lifting, I used to get some pains and lightheaded before I realised i wasnt breathing when lifting weights.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-08, 14:29

Plan: VLC under 20g/d
Stats: 357/300.8/209 Male 182 cm
BF:

Hi Sexymommy

Was 3 weeks ago when you actually started weightlifting? or was it just a change you made to your weightlifting? This has given me an idea....

I suffered induction flu for a solid 2 weeks, which seemed to be far more than alot of people. But I was weight training through that period and one of my main symptoms was bad headaches and dizziness.

I wonder if it is a reaction from the body when it changes metabolism to support anaerobic exercise without carbs. My headaches are gone now so if this is the case yours may go too

Just a theory

Clint
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-08, 00:03

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

jacki,
Nausea is usually associated with high lactate levels- high production of lactic acid during intense weight lifting or very strenuous excercise..it can be a good thing because this helps increase your output of GH..which can help you lose weight and build muscle faster.

Or it could be something you ae..lol

It does lessen to a degree when you become more accustomed to your program.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-09, 10:59

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 258/244/182 Male 6"1'
BF:
Progress:

I found I would feel nauseas and get headaches after a hard work out and one thing that helped was making sure i kept warm after. I know this sounds stupid but making sure you don't drop your body temperature too quickly stopped the headaches and nausea.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 21:42

Plan: 1972 Atkins Lifestyle
Stats: 168/159/140 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:35%/12%/23%
Progress: 32%

I have this. It's called dehydration and/or low blood pressure. I know what it is. Are you drinking water during your workouts?