Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 12:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 226/209/170 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 30%
Post Check out this forum

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 12:42
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Atkins makes your kidneys blow up. Diabetics should continue to eat sugar and starch instead. You must eat fruit and grain. There is only one way to lose weight, and that's to starve yourself, anything else is a fad. B-a-a-a-a-h!

(No offense intended to those gals, I'm referring to the general public's tendancy to accept without question media myth. Indeed, I was once like them...)

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, Nov-21-03 at 14:00.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 12:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I like the replies . . . . those poor low-fat/high carb brainwashed souls! All I can do is just shake my head and be happy that I'm in on the LC secret. Gosh, I used to be one of them. Glad I'm not now!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 18:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 237/223.6/180 Male 70 inches
BF:33/24/12
Progress: 24%

I feel sorry for them
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 18:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 284/227/170 Male 72 inches
BF:30%
Progress: 50%

nannering fools.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 23:23

Plan: low carb for life
Stats: ???/???/??? Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sad isn't it. Some of the posters talk about donuts just like some of my old druggie friends talked about their drug of choice. Really Sad!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 13:07

Plan: Straight Keto
Stats: 315/267/180 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 36%

"Carbs form the basis of what we need in terms of nutrients."

I saw it on the internet, it must be true, right ?

Jeff
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 13:56

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

I'm sitting here LMAO at those poor misguided fools. Let's just feel sorry for them folks. Not only are they probably hungry all the time, but apparently their hunger has gotten in the way of their brain cells, i.e., inability to think for themselves.

shortstuff
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 17:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

It seems to me that they're posting innuendos and half-truths that pepper the media in relation to LC diets. They don't know any better, they haven't researched it, they haven't read any books.

They are, in a word, like I was about 6 months ago. I wanted to reduce my meat intake drastically, eat lots of rice, breads, veggies and fruits, thinking it would help my health and weight. I bought into what the establishment was selling before I started this and actually read the material, both pro and con.

The common vein that runs through all the con material is that its best points got nullified by the research, and it's now relying on its second string, scare tactics, and dogma. Kidney damage, unproven and unlikely, is now pushed as the top selling point for the con camp. They can't push cholesterol increases anymore, nor can they do much on the weight loss front. Scare tactics are what they're left with, but it's too little too late. The public is beginning to understand this way of eating.

I also like how LC is now held to higher standards than low fat. After all, we don't know that it won't damage your kidneys long-term...while low fat diets are let off the hook on what they might do over many years to a person...

There isn't any stake for me in others working to better themselves via Low Carb, so even if LC loses the debate, I still get the benefit of it. However, I doubt it loses the debate.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 21:49
Contributing Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 167/167/145 Female 5 foot 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Wow..some people are easily misguided. They are media brain washed.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 17:15

Plan: healthy eating/water/walk
Stats: 163/155/120 Female 5'4 and 1/2
BF:?/28%/20%
Progress: 19%

I used to be one of them...heck, I still am...maybe not in regards to atkins but I know for sure that I'm in denial about a lot of things...I wish people like us were able to enlighten people like them, but as a "people like them" myself from time to time, I know I'm not always open to listening (as much as I pretend to be open-minded)...anyway, it's too bad...they don't know what they're missing out on...

as sunspine17 said, this little LC secret....(?)

-mildwild
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 23:40

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Great site! Thanks for the laughs.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 10:45

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I joined that forum just so that I can give them some understanding on this subject. They are such a group of non-thinkers. They are asking good questions now so hopefully they will begin to thinnk for themselves considering the group they claim to represent.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:44

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You're doing a good job in getting them to think about it a bit more, black! You might also want to mention that the plains indians followed migrating herds of buffalo and while the meat itself may be quite lean, during different seasons (particularly fall and winter) the buffalo had quite a bit of body fat from grazing on the plains all spring and summer. A lot of folks have the idea that wild animals are lean year round and that's not true. They eat as much as they can in spring, summer and early fall to build up body fat to survive the mating season and then the long winter that follows where food will be scarce and they would starve without sufficient stores of body fat to see them through the lean winter months. The Native Americans also ate the organ meats (higher in fat) and brains of many animals (also high in fat) as well as getting as much of the marrow from the bones as possible (again, high in fat).
Not all Native American cultures were argricultural either to any large degee; many of them were the traditional hunter/gatherers.
Finfish are not all "practically fat free" many of them (salmon in particular) are rich in a particular type of fat; omega 3. Shellfish contain cholesterol.

Last edited by Lisa N : Fri, Dec-12-03 at 15:49.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 20:24

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Thanks Lisa, I know that Native Americans values fattier portions of animals. I am glad that you gave me this added info. I hope that I relay it to them as well as you did for me. Correct me if I am wrong but agriculture was just not that big of a deal to Native Americans. When the British came over they thought that the Natives were very savage and unskilled when it came to taking care of themselves. I am on my way.