Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 08:09

Plan: ww
Stats: 262/179.4/172 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 92%

I started on core, but switched to flex. Now that it has been a month or so and I am getting more used to it, I may switch back to core. I find it is really helping my portion control counting points. I thought it would be more of a pain to count but I use their online tool and it really isn't.

Like someone before me here said, I am higher carb than when I was doing LC but much lower than most WW people. I still try to pick LC choices and not use up ppoints with bread, etc.. not very often anyway. I know that bread and refined carbs make me gain so unless my calories are extremely low I just don't waste my time with that stuff. I can eat so much more when I stay low carb.

One thing I LOVE about WW, Is I can eat soup again and I dont feel like a complete failure if I have something like that. I try to get the lower fat/sodium soups btw.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 14:13

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 153.0/144.8/130.0 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Yeah I switched to CORE on Monday I think I am going to do this for two weeks then switch back to Flex (LC as possible). I just needed something different b/c I was starting to not spend my points very wisely!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-08, 16:47

Plan: Low Carb High Fat (LCHF)
Stats: 268/242/160 Female 5' 8-1/2"
BF:too much
Progress: 24%

I lost and kept off 20-25 lbs on the Core plan over the last year or so and really liked it.

For me, though, I couldn't get past having to use fat free dairy products and only being allowed 2 tsp of oil per day (although that's twice as much oil as NutriSystem which I tried recently but is way to high carb for me.)

After awhile on Core, I just felt I needed more fat. That would probably sound really weird anywhere but on a low carb forum.

Anyway, I wish good luck to anyone trying Core. I felt that there was a lot of freedom in that one could have higher amounts of protein with meals and also could have avocadoes and olives, which are good fat sources.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 10:29

Plan: Atkins -- high fat
Stats: 172/154/136 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Betsy, I know exactly what you mean about needing more fat. It feels good to me, it nourishes my skin and hair and keeps my stomach calmed down.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 15:31

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Core

This is an excellent diet, and nutritionists love it. I did well on it for a while, but I am diabetic, on insulin, and after I started insulin therapy, the weight loss slowed, then stopped. I had to move to the paleo diet.

If you're not carb addicted, the CORE is great. I was always craving carbs on it though. I ate a ot of popcorn - the one snack food allowed.

I wish I could tolerate grains - if I could, I would go back on it.

Good luck
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 07:18

Plan: LOOKING FOR A PLAN
Stats: 239/183/165 Female 5'9"
BF:Yes I have that
Progress: 76%

The CORE plan has had some recent changes any CORE food can be a snack and also a FAST FOOD unbreaded chicken breast may be added to say a salad and called CORE in a pinch.
I am doing CORE and really likging it, this is about my 3rd attempt though CORE can be tricky to get the hang of.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiogal
The CORE plan has had some recent changes any CORE food can be a snack and also a FAST FOOD unbreaded chicken breast may be added to say a salad and called CORE in a pinch.
I am doing CORE and really likging it, this is about my 3rd attempt though CORE can be tricky to get the hang of.

Wow, that's interesting! I haven't been to WW since November so missed the usual December updates.

When I first started Core in 2005, you could eat any core foods for snacks but then they changed it in Dec 2006 to make the snacks fruits, veggies, popcorn, and WW fruities and shakes, oh and ff milk.

So they've changed it back then? That's interesting. And also interesting abou the fast food chicken. Makes sense.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 13:36

yes they changed it back to the old rules.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 12:00

BF:

i have been doing CORE (half a$$) for the past couple of weeks!! I am trying to fully commit to sticking to it 100% of the time!!! Weekends i just seen to really fall off track!!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 09:36

Default Core and "Volumetrics"

Jenni - I know what you mean about the weekends. I would try to use as many of the weekly points allowance as possible on the weekends along with whatever is Core. I guess it depends on what your weekend activities are, though.

I have decided that I'm going to give Core another whirl here. It seems to be the most successful plan I've done.

If anybody's interested, there's a book called "Volumetrics" by Barbara Rolls that I have heard the Core plan is largely based on. People on the WW Core message board who have read it have good things to say about it, although I haven't read the book yet myself. There are two Volumetrics books, though, and I apparently ordered the wrong one "The Volumetrics Eating Plan" which mainly has recipes and stuff like that. The other book (don't have the title offhand but by the same author) explains the actual science of Volumetrics and I'll get around to ordering that one some time.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 10:28

BF:

besty - Hmmm that sound interesting. i might have to order that myself. i was just thinking last night how i need some good material to read at night so i can be motivated to stay away from the fridge and pantry (i am the worst in the evenings). i spend all of my weekly allowance points on beers on the weekends! I was thinking the other day how nice it would be to actually eat the extra points but you can't give everything up right?? LOL
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-08, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni03
besty - Hmmm that sound interesting. i might have to order that myself. i was just thinking last night how i need some good material to read at night so i can be motivated to stay away from the fridge and pantry (i am the worst in the evenings). i spend all of my weekly allowance points on beers on the weekends! I was thinking the other day how nice it would be to actually eat the extra points but you can't give everything up right?? LOL

Jenni - I know what you mean about the evenings! That's my worst time, too. And yeah, I've had a tendency to use WPAs for alcohol, too. Well, as long as it keeps working, what the heck?
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-08, 13:09

I too have trouble with weekends!
If I can just stay away from downing all my WPA's in one day I generally have a good week.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiogal
I too have trouble with weekends!
If I can just stay away from downing all my WPA's in one day I generally have a good week.

That's a good point. I think that happens to me as well. The only exception is if it's on the last day of the week that I use them all but that generally never happens because I usually end up using a few a day.

Do any of you folks also post on the Weight Watchers site on the Core Plan board? There's a lot of activity there! Although if you mention "low carb" at all there, well, there are a lot of folks that will jump in to say Core is not low carb.

But the great thing about Core is you can kind of make it whatever you want, which is what I really like. I mean, you can have a higher proportion of protein compared to carbs at a meal if you like and are not locked in to limiting protein because of points.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 15:40

Plan: whole foods (mostly)
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'8
BF:a little lower
Progress: 32%

I've been on flex since new year's and I've gained 5 lbs. Since I paid for 10 weeks I'm going to do core. I've done well on low(er) carb plans before, but found I couldn't enjoy the limitations and I need variety. I'm sure that calorie count alone doesn't work for me, it does matter what I eat. And I know the lower fat, higher carb food has the lowest points values, and to eat enough to stay satisfied and within the points range I had to eat bread, etc. So, off with the bread, pasta, cereals. I know they make me gain weight, I just always fall for what's popular in the dieting world. I've gained more on flex that I did eating whatever I wanted over the holidays!