Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-16, 11:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 20+IF
Stats: 238/186/147.5 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I did a mini research on soft drinks a few weeks ago. Here is the 2 second version.

Commercial soda and all sorts of sweet non diet beverages have a magic 8-12% carbs, of course all of it is sugar or HFCS. They usually are 37-42 gm in a 12 oz. Maybe some are more, near certain nothing is under 37. Pepsi is 41 and coke is 39. Lower numbers are usually the more fruit imitation ones.

Straight up fruit juices are usually around 35-38 per 12oz.

Red Gatorade is a bit of an outlier with 21 in a 12 oz. I've not looked at blue or green ones.

So, effectively, if you're gonna get a non diet soda and for some reason you had to, try the red Gatorade. I had a couple sips when I nearly fainted along with a bite of the granola bar. Didn't take too long to kick me back into keto.

Thanks.
Srinath.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-16, 17:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Yes, but there is a LOT more volume in the same weight, for cabbage VS Gatorade.

Put it another way: 100 grams of cabbage is about a cup of cabbage. (Raw, here) 23 grams of Gatorade is 23 ml of Gatorade. A cup of Gatorade is about 240 grams of Gatorade. Therefore, cup to cup, you have 1.3 x 4 = 5.2 total grams of carbs in one cup uncooked cabbage, 3 net.

For the Gatorade, you have to multiply the 23 grams by 10.3. So, one cup of Gatorade (1/2 to 1/4 a bottle) has 14 grams of carbs, no fiber, so no net grams. Most people will drink a full bottle, which has 22 grams, because that's what they're used to, as well.

You could fit 23 grams of lead in your pocket, easily. Not so much with 23 grams of feathers. Measuring by weight is a good way to measure individual items. But when they are as utterly disparate as cabbage and a sugary sports drink, well, it doesn't work so well.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-16, 19:33
Registered Member

BF:

Sorry I am not getting the math here.
But a gatorade bottle has way more than the 12oz serving size they have put on the bottle. Maybe there is a 12oz, I've never seen it cos I don't drink that crap unless I was fainting and that's the quickest thing we found. What am I saying, of course there is a 12oz, we seem to have the 48 or something stuffed in the back of the fridge.

But really 23 gm carb is 23 gm carb net. You're talking net carb here, not glycemic load.

355gm Cabbage isn't the best use of 21gm carb IMHO, and neither is red gatorade. If you must have the taste of cabbage try that escarole thing. Too close to cabbage in taste and nearly no carbs.

PS: I get it, OK 355 gm cabbage is about 1/3th the average sized cabbage. And you're saying no one wil lever eat that much cabbage in 1 sitting. I beg to differ on that point, I've seen my mother-in-law easily put that away. Cabbage is religion in my wife's house, and she too is capable of that much cabbagery. My in-laws are diabetic, thank god the GL of cabbage is low, but I cant imagine its not adding to the weight gain and the carb overload. IMHO, its a bad way to over carb. But that's just me.

Thanks.
Srinath.

Last edited by Srinath_69 : Thu, Sep-22-16 at 19:40. Reason: Missed something.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-16, 13:40
Memere to 4

Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

I really enjoy taking a weekend to prepare meals, snacks and sides and freezing them.
I am therefore never out of "my" foods. The Kitchen here id chalk full of simple recipes and food ideas.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-16, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbeauty
I really enjoy taking a weekend to prepare meals, snacks and sides and freezing them.
I am therefore never out of "my" foods. The Kitchen here id chalk full of simple recipes and food ideas.

THIS. One of the people who has been successful at both losing and maintaining would have her pressure cooker and crockpot going all weekend long, every other weekend, usually. That way she only had to cook for 48 hours, and had food for herself for the next two weeks. When she started her most recent journal, she was in grad school, and had three teenagers living at home. NOT the easiest way to get on and keep on a weight loss program. And, of course, she didn't have a lot of money, either.

So she made low carb hot dishes.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-16, 21:39
Registered Member

BF:

See I am not the main cook in my house, and as such, I am really not allowed in there, my wife keeps me at bay.
Shes a vegetarian, and has been since birth, and so have her parents and for generations. So have mine till my dad, who used to eat meat but never cook it at home. Me and my brother still are looked at as heretics.
Anyway my son is a commited carnivore, and he in fact prefers beef to chicken and he's off dairy, and was off wheat till a couple years ago. So my wife has to put up with my cooking meat, however I have to keep that footprint as small as possible.
So I get 3-4 hours in 1 evening, probably mid week. Then I get my george foreman grill and fire away. Nothing else will pass the wife test.
Anyway, I make meat for a week or so, and the salad my wife makes, and I top it with meat, she tops hers with fried eggs and my son with beef, or the kid will just eat the beef like he's chewing on a tire. He was eating 1 bite of jerky for 10 mins and I ask him what, Why are you still chewing that 1 bite, and he goes, cos its still there.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-16, 08:35

I was addressing Aaron: he's a busy student, and learning to cook his own LC meals would be a wonderful gift to give to himself.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-16, 10:45

Plan: None yet.
Stats: 300/300/165 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress:

We do have a few slow cookers, and I've cooked with them in the past so I'm sure I could handle making some low carb meals in them. In fact, I'd probably prefer it! I'm going on my first low carb grocery trip today so I'm assembling a list, but I'm not sure what I should get completely.

I'm not a huge breakfast person, what do you guys recommend for breakfast quick and easy? I'm not a big fan of eggs, but I'll eat them if necessary. I was thinking some nitrate free lunch meat and cheese rollups for lunch, and some nuts to go with it. Maybe a small salad (spinach leaves) too with an olive oil/vinegar dressing? Dinner is easy for me because I really love meat. Hamburgers will probably be my go to, but I'm definitely going to try that crack slaw at some point. I have a feeling it'll go over pretty well in my house.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-16, 10:47
Registered Member

BF:
Default Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
I was addressing Aaron: he's a busy student, and learning to cook his own LC meals would be a wonderful gift to give to himself.

This is great advice. Sorry about butting in.
Thanks.
Srinath.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-16, 18:28

Heh, I'll bet that crack slaw will. It didn't get its name for nothing.

Really, I eat eggs in the morning because I like them. But you could eat leftovers from the night before, heated up. Which, of course, takes even less time than cooking eggs, right?

If you nuke the meat and cheese roll ups, they're even better. AND if you bring some mayo to spread on them right before you nuke them, even better still--and you get more fat, which is a bonus.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-16, 02:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Yes time to break out the slow cooker (assuming you are in a temperate part of the US). My favorite is a pork roast (or beef pot roast or chicken) with a jar of salsa. Those flash frozen chicken pieces are perfect for slow cookers and salsa, put in frozen, done for dinner. Shred the meat for tacos wrapped in lettuce, over a salad, leftovers scrambled into eggs, and add favorite toppings like cheese and sour cream.
As for a shopping list...the HealClinic brochure has a list of permitted foods (now on page 12-14) Buy anything on that list you like, similar list is here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482

Quote:
I'm not a huge breakfast person
if you mean you do not normally eat breakfast, then don't. "Meal timing" or a shorter "eating window" is one reason LC can work. Be sure you have enough LC foods with you when you do get hungry, and roll-ups are great, but eating only lunch and dinner with no snacking outside that eating window is helpful to reduce insulin levels. You'll need to work the hours of when you eat around your class schedule, but still only Eat when Hungry, Aka IF , see post #22 and https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Sep-25-16 at 10:51.