Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: n/a
Stats: 150/129/? Male growing (5'4-5'5?)
BF:
Progress:

Well, I had my mom go on the South Beach induction phase for two weeks. Because she says she gets headaches when she tries it, she's not going to exercise but focus solely on the diet.

She's had two successful days so far. 12 more to go.

Anyone know if that could help correct her metabolism?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 14:55

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I suffer from hypoglycemia which is a metabolic disorder as is diabetes ( hyperglycemia ). Since I have been low carbing my hypoglycemic symptoms have vanished. These symptoms include an insatiable hunger, migraines, itchy skin. They are gone. I eat plenty of food and I lost 26 lbs. I wouldn't say that it corrected my metabolism. However, it made it possible for my metabolism to function at is peak.

Oh, another thing, I did not begin an exercise regimen until after I lost 26 lbs.

Black57
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 15:48

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Over 40?

None of my business, but let's guess your mother may be over 40? I used to could lose weight on a "sensible" approach. Then I turned 40.

Atkins worked for me when my old solutions quit working. I suspect the age gap may be even bigger than the sex difference, which is also a major component of why some people can lose weight on one plan that may not work for even a close relative.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 08:52

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
None of my business, but let's guess your mother may be over 40? I used to could lose weight on a "sensible" approach. Then I turned 40.

Me too and it got harder the older I got.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 08:29
Registered Member

Plan: n/a
Stats: 150/129/? Male growing (5'4-5'5?)
BF:
Progress:

She's been on the diet for 5 days and has lost 3 pounds, in case anyone's interested. She said she's going to stick to this way of eating for a while.

So I'm giving a to low carbing if you're an older person who can't lose weight on other approaches.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 05:03
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaveman
And the kids haven't had the decades it takes for a good, solid case of insulin resistance to set in.

I don't know about that... I've never been tested, but I'm pretty sure I have fairly significant insulin resistance due to the plethora of symptoms I previously (and currently) express. I started the Atkins diet at 20 years old, after suffering with said symptoms as far as I can remember. I vividly remember what I now recognize to be reactive hypoglycemic symptoms/attacks as a pre-teen. I expressed PCOS symptoms since puberty.

I think how readily one becomes insulin resistant is a function of both genetic potential and environment. I have both poor genetic potential and previously had a very poor diet.
If you have good genetic resistance against insulin resistance (a metabolism which tolerates sugar well) and a good environment (high activity, well balanced, low refined carbs, moderate/low calorie), odds are you never will develop any significant insulin resistance (or perhaps not until very late in life, 60s or 70s, and a minor case).
If you have good/decent genetic resistance against malfunctioning sugar metabolism, but a really, really bad diet (high refined carbs, high calories), than you likely will become insulin resistant significantly and earlier (probably by age 30 or 40 - mid life). The reverse is also true, in that you can have poor resistance but a good diet and in doing this you will also delay the onset of symptoms of insulin resistance.

However, if you hve poor genetic potential AND poor diet... well that's just a recipe for early life diabetes & other diseases of insulin resistance. Native Americans are a perfect example of this unfortunate combination. Many of their young children are being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 06:38

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Dear heart....

"over 40" is not, in my book, an "older person."
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 07:45

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

Genetics and metabolism.

Yet another myth, if you exercice you can eat whatever you want, that can be true for a person with a fast metabolisme but untrue for someone else.

I knew this guy at my other job he was big, he add some bodyfat on him but he was damn big, he trained everyday in the gym and ran 30 minutes a day, but kept eating crap.

One day we started talking and he said Yannick, i just cant get under 250 pounds the guy was 6 feet 2, he add a small gut but man he was big, i told him John why i know this is gonna be hard on you but why do you try cutting out the sugar in your diet, bread, pasta and rice and replace them with salad.

John was dedicated and tried it and guess what he add so much success that he is still doing it, he has gone from a muscular 250 pouder to a very lean 215 pounder, he looks amazing now and has lost a lot of water, he got abs and is cut up like hell.

Now low carb isnt for everyone and i see so many post here that people arent losing, i dont really see a difference on someone cutting is carbs down to 30g a day and if it doenst work cut them out even lower.

Low carb works for me but i decided to go another way, i dont eat bacon anymore and eat low fat meats instead of the high fat ones.

When i start low carb the first 2 weeks i do the diet to a T, meaning i eat more fat then protein etc etc.

But after 2 weeks i start adding veggies, and turn the low carb into a protein diet.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 09:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

To me it's very simple: you can't eat more carbs than you burn.

I used to eat low fat (25 or less a day) high carb (I estimate 300-350 a day) and worked out 45 minutes cardio on a climbing machine, plus 45 minutes floor exercises with light weights. And guess what?

I lost weight. I was 150 and a size twelve. I was happy. I thought I was healthy. I thought I'd figured it all out.

Fast forward to me in my 40's, with no time, money, or space for my old exercise routine. Yes, yes, yes....if it's "important" enough you'll do it, etc, but I was going to school full time with commuting both ways, had a part time job and a fiance. If you'd thrown a couple of kids in the mix I'd have had a breakdown.

Starting gaining weight. I hadn't changed the way I was eating, I just didn't do much exercise beyond a long walk a couple of times a week, and I was lucky to get that.

Low carbing, I lost 40 pounds in 4 months without exercise, I weigh 147, and I'm a size TEN.

Ya'll can do the math. My point is:

You can't eat more carbs than you burn.

Period. All the fussing over proportions and ratios are fun to debate, but it all comes down to that, in my personal experience.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Aug-08-04, 00:52

Plan: Keto/CKD
Stats: 150/144/125 Female 10
BF:
Progress: 24%

I like John Stone. He used to post on another board I was on. I just don't like his diet. Too boring, plain chicken breasts. Too low in fat, too high in STUPID carbs. There is too many snack type foods.. icecream, pretzles. Theres nothing healthy in that.

Nothing wrong with the orange juice. I think he takes it PW..which a lot of people do.

The only thing good in his diet is the AllTheWhey protein shake. I use the same thing. =)

Hmm he also had a hernia operation..I know those can* be caused by excessive lifting. Coughing. Constipation..diet can't be too great if he got it from not lifting right, getting sick or constipated.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 15:29

Plan: BFFM by Tom Venuto
Stats: 105/101/- Female 62 in.
BF:19%
Progress:

I know I cannot lower my carbs past 30% of my total calories because it makes me too tired. I am an active individual, lifting weights 4x weekly and doing cardio 3-4x weekly, as well as being in soccer (however that plays into the cardio).

May I suggest Tom Venuto's 'Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle'? I'm on that, and it is working very well for me! (: