Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 14:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I would like to see the alternative statistic bandied about. Like, hmm, I dunno... like how many people died during the years between 1970-2000 from diabetes after switching to a low-fat diet? Or, just how many people suffered from hypoglycemia after not having had any reason to get it?

GRR!

(While I think that PETA has some good points on their agenda, I wonder if they realize that the blood from slaughterhouses is used on their vegetables as fertilizer?)
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 15:40

Stats: 228/202/140 Male 5'5"
BF:35%/32%/25%
Progress:

Personally, I don't pay much attention to anything the TV news media puts out, because I don't trust their liberal viewpoints.

Just remember:

If you tell the same lie LOUD enough and LONG enough, eventually the ignorant masses will believe it to be true.

Just ask Bill Clinton...........
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 08:59

Plan: Atkins/PP mix??
Stats: 255/247/165 Male 71.5 inches
BF:35%/33%/15%
Progress: 9%
Default A lighter casket

Had Open Heart Surgery (Valve Problem) in Dec 03.. Had Lost 45 pounds between 8/03 - 11/03 thank God on Atkins. After surgery went off diet on Cardiologist advice.......

Gained back the 45lbs. My Primary Doctor says go back to LC because of my blood results .. Lower Colesterol when on LC... So I'm starting again and hope to make it a WOL..

3 deaths out of millions? That actually sounds healthy to me... Thanks for this new information I'll use it for encouragement!!

If I should be the unfortunate 4th person..My PallBearers will be happy with my lighter casket... lol
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 12:16

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

As a reminder...it has never been proven these deaths were the result of the Atkins WOE. It is speculation, and you need to check out the source. This issue is becoming another "urban legend".
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 20:54

Plan: self
Stats: 175/163/150 Male 69 in
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway7
The ones who died were probably on some kind of medication.

Or, maybe they didn't watch their potassium level. I know my base diet low-carb is very low in potassium and I have to supplement it or take care to eat potassium rich foods.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 21:36

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Don't go on Atkins because 2 people died, that's the advice I got when I restarted Atkins. So out of thousands who are on Atkins a couple of deaths is enough to make it such a bad thing. Where are the news stories about how we shouldn't get in cars, on planes, boats, trains or even walk across the road because people have died doing that?

How many people have heart abnormalities and don't know it? John Ritter (RIP) did, they only found it after his passing. My own sister has a heart problem that she found out about when she was pregnant, it's been there all her life and she never knew. No I lie, she had a very rapid heartbeat one day, only lasted for a minute or so and she went to the Dr they found nothing wrong. She had the same symptons that lasted for hours while she was pregnant and another bout while she was in labour. Tests have shown that she has an extra piece in her heart, it's part of what causes the heart to beat. When it kicks in, her heart is getting extra signals to beat. She was in her late 20's when she found out about this.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 12:18

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Mmmmm Fat.... yum yum
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 13:22

Plan: Atkins (was South Beach
Stats: 195/193/170 Male 5'11"
BF:27/27/20
Progress: 8%
Default 40,000 people died from breathing!

Traffic deaths are the 9th leading cause of death. By 2020, they will be the 3rd leading cause, exceeding cancer and heart disease. Air pollution from private automobiles kills +40,000 each year. Increasing dependency on automobiles has been correlated with rising obesity rates, along with television watching.

Cars kill. Obesity kills. Atkins does not kill.

Be *very critical* of anyone who tells you not to do something because somebody died doing it--people die crossing the street on their way to church. Maybe they shouldn't go to church...or cross the street.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 12:08
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%
Default 20.000 dieters die!

Alarm!!

Yes "Red Flag Alert on ATkins 2 Death":

So Non-Atkins-eaters die with 20.000 EACH DAY!
  #40   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 21:29

Stats: 350/322/170 Male 5ft 10 inches
BF:50.2/46.8/25
Progress: 16%

Correlation does not mean causation. Statistically speaking most people start Adkins due to a weight problem. Does it not stand to reason then that a few heart attacks occur? This media sensationalism is getting way out of hand. Red Alert? What is this Star Trek?
  #41   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 00:53

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%
Default Ramble, ramble, ramble....

Very interesting! Whilst reading through the posts, I had a few ideas pop into my head. I don't know if I can remember them all, but I'm going to try.

One person said something along the lines of it's not like the government hasn't been wrong before.

So true! How many years have we listened to the government tell us we should eat margarine, because it's so much healthier for us? Another example was my grandfather. In 1972, he had a massive coronary that resulted in open-heart surgery. Naturally, he was put on the Pritikin diet, which is super, super low-fat. Now here's an old fellow who smoked pretty much all his life, ate whatever he wanted, was an alcoholic a good part of his adult life (I don't know when he quit drinking--sometime in the early- to mid-60s probably). AND he feared for his life. My grandpa was afraid to die. So naturally he did everything the doctors told him to do. He cut out beef and all saturated fats. He ate margarine, if anything. He'd make a turkey soup by baking the turkey to death in the oven, then taking the turkey and boiling it, putting that in the fridge, skimming off the grease, then re-heating it, refrigerating and skimming again. Then he'd heat it, add rice and veggies. Let me just say it was gross! On top of this, Grandpa never had a problem eating packaged cookies--of course, we all know packaged cookies contain transfats. He never ate a lot of them, but enjoyed a couple occasionally.

Okay--that paragraph's just getting too long! Anyway, seven years later, Grandpa had a massive stroke, which killed him. A few years after that, I remember reading an article that said cutting red meats from the diet was a huge culprit in promoting strokes in people. So, Grandpa's heart attack didn't kill him; his diet did. But then again, it was his time to go I'm sure, and nothing would've prevented that.

We all know the bull we've been fed by our government for years now--it's nothing new. We're nothing more than guinea pigs. They claim to be trying to save people's lives when in reality they aren't. There is enough evidence out there to show the government (not just our country's government, but the clandestine group that basically oversees the world) has decided the world can't sustain its growth rate (and they're right on that count), so they are out to remove a lot of us. What better way to off us than through what we eat? Turn us into a bunch of cancer-ridden, diabetic, heart attack patients! Hey, at least we'll die happy, right? Look at all that wonderful junk food!

Oh my! This is going to be so long, no one will read it!

Another thought that came to mind was that of my sister. Now here was a woman who'd had some health problems her whole life (allergies, etc.). Partly because of the allergies and partly because she likes an excuse for consuming junk, she's a junk food addict. She also suffered from low blood pressure (and yes, I do mean suffered). No doctor even began to figure out what the problem with the blood pressure was.

A few years ago she was diagnosed with diabetes. A very short time after that she had her first heart attack. It was just chalked up to the fact she's diabetic. In the ensuing years, her heart got worse and worse, and she had a few more mild heart attacks. Yet for whatever reason, no tests were ever performed. She was told to go home and take it easy. (She's on disability, government-funded health care--does this sound about right to anyone else?) A few months ago, she was at an appointment a few blocks away from one of the local hospitals. She started to look very ill. Her caseworker noticed before she did, actually, and called an ambulance. I never did get whether she actually had another heart attack or not, but the problem was definitely her heart. She was taken to the hospital for an angiogram. They wanted to decide whether they should do an angioplasty, so of course needed the test results. Well, they shot her up with all the dye, etc., etc., and did their work.

Now this is where it gets interesting, so if no one's been paying attention, read now! LOL The angiogram showed absolutely no blockage in her arteries. What they did find, however, was shocking. One of the arteries leading out of her heart, splits into two, with one of them re-attached to the bottom of her heart. She can't get proper blood flow because half the blood that should be pumping into her body is recirculating right back into her heart! Okay--so here she is, 40+ years old, and they just now discover this!

So listed are a few people following the Atkins Nutritional Approach who suddenly die from a heart problem. Who knows when these problems even occurred? (And as some said, may well have been medication.) If their doctors were anything like my sister's they very well could've been walking time-bombs for years.

Okay, enough rambling!
Signed LilaCotton, who is sometimes borderline paranoid, and all the time extremely suspicious of anyone in authority!
  #42   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 01:00
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I'm sure that no-one on a low-fat diet, ar any other kind of non-Atkins type diet, has ever developed heart problems. (?!?!?!?)

Liz
  #43   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 02:48

Plan: Atkins original diet
Stats: 245/210/175 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Regarding Dr. Barnard, who is really a PETA wolf in sheep's clothing, can anyone point me to the Atkins Center's response to this? I read about it at the time, that they were essentially saying that Barnard's report was the most biased, unprofessional, unscientific, etc. but I want to get their exact words on it.

These dopes basically quoted a worthless statistic: Of the 100 or so nutcases who self-diagnosed their ailments with no medical validation AND were motivated enough to post to a survey on the pea-brained website, over 20% of them [all 37 people!] PERCEIVE that they should blame Atkins for their perceived ailment[s] [or failed jobs, lovelife, finances, flat-feet, neuritis, neuralgia, "tired-blood", colorblindness, their favorite sports team losing, their local liquor store being out of their favorite brand of malt liquor, the local movie theatre charging too much, or any other aspect of life that has an *obvious* causal relationship to the Atkins diet .]

On a related topic: After Dr Atkins died, somesuch PETA "doctor" bamboozled the hospital where Atkins was treated into illegally sending him a copy of the medical records. These were later distorted into false claims that Atkins had died of morbid obesity CAUSED by his diet [as I understand it, he died of complications of a subdural hematoma in the brain after his nasty fall straight backwards, the worst way to fall! In the course of treatment, he had over 60 lbs. of edemic buildup, thus his weight at death was atypical for his weight up to just BEFORE the accident, etc.] Anyone got any links for this?

How many PETA "vegans" (Men are from Mars, Women are from Vegas? Oh, I guess that would be Las Vegans ) know that "organic" vegies are typically grown using cow manure (which might cause some resistent E. Coli strains infection)?

cjl (Everyone should have a pet alligator to feed PETA members to)
  #44   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 05:58

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

People on low fat diets die all the time of various complications. However, LC diets are the current 'enemy', so every death of an LC dieter is magnified x20 in comparison to deaths of other dieters.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 07:47

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default This comment is absolutely true!

Haven't we low carbers research fat enough to know what it is? I have read so many comments from people who do low carb yet, they continue to fear fats and call them bad. If you think that fats are bad, you ain't done the research. If you cannot tell me the purpose of the liver, gall bladder or glucagon, you shouldn't say anything about fats until you understand these organs and hormone.