Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-17, 19:13

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default Getting it right

I started low carb about a year ago and lost 60lbs, averaging a consistent 5lbs a month. While following the general guidelines of low carb, eliminating flour, rice, potatoes, etc., I wasn't following any formal plan. As I got close to my target weight, I started adding carbs back, mostly in the form of oatmeal for breakfast and apples as an evening snack, occasionally some dry cheerios or dry popcorn, up to 70 / 80 grams of carbs per day. In hindsight, I guess it was predictable that I would hit a plateau, and even gain back a couple lbs. I would like to lose about 10 to 15 more lbs, and more importantly lose the remaining belly fat. Anyway, I have decided to follow a more formal plan, and have went back to the Atkins Phase 1 to get back in ketosis. I will then start adding back carbs more in line with what Atkins recommends. I could probably start with Atkins 40, since I don't have that much left to lose, but I feel like I need to get it kickstarted before transitioning to Phase 3 or 4. I pretty much know what to do to get results, but I am hoping to learn more about transitioning and developing a long term maintenance plan.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-17, 05:29

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

These are the kind of stories I like to think are more common the people think. I love that you did this outside of the standard form (not FOURM) by eliminating the obvious stuff (at least that's what I react to too, GPS, Grain.Potato.Sugar) and are now reassessing.

I believe I'm at that stage too. Experimenting on things to add back and things to stay away from but maintaining a low carb approach.

You will do well and I hope to follow your journey if you decide to make it public here.

Thanks and Welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-17, 03:33

Plan: aitkinish
Stats: 172/140/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 62%

Hi, I am new here as well. WOW thank you for sharing. I am very similar. I lost 40lb 's not following a formal plan either. Basically just gave up the flours and sugars.

I am also looking at my final 10 lb's to my goal. And looking forward to getting rid of that final belly fat.

I too am in the process of learning as much as I can about maintenance. Low Carb has really became a way of life for me, I cannot pick up anything in the grocery store without automatically checking the nutrition label...that is now a habit for me.

I am now toying with adding things back in. I have found out that bread is an absolute no no. I instantly get bloated and causes stomach ache. Pizza has the same affect. Mashed potatoes on the other hand seem fine in moderation.