Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-17, 17:51

Plan: Ketogenic diet
Stats: 171/171/130 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Awkward question!

I have heard of and also experienced for myself in the past having constipation while on a low carb diet.

I have been following the ketogenic diet and have been having no problems with going # 2. I just started to fear that this may mean I'm doing something wrong with my diet.

Is constipation something that only some will experience on low carb or does it happen to everyone?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-17, 20:01

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Never fear! TP man is here...

Some do, some don't. Sometimes it comes, sometimes it goes.

If you search this site you'll find many ways to get things going if they get stuck. I eat a lot of lowcarb vegetables, take some magnesium supplements and drink a good amount of water and I have not had issues for quite some time.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 08:37

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

If things are going well, so to speak, you're doing it right. Don't worry.

There's absolutely NO universal experience.

If you experience an actual problem, check in here. Someone here has had it and can advise--no medical advice!--but possible comfort measures.

Best wishes.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 09:23

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Taking Magnesium daily helps. Drink enough water, eat enough fats.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 18:31

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Two cups of salad greens daily and or LC veggies ( spinach and broccoli) keeps me going.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 19:59
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I've been using Trader Joe's psyllium husks daily for the past 30 years. Contains no allergens and has no flavor. Lots of water is necessary.

Every body is different, though. When I had my mother take the same psyllium, it made her constipated.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-17, 08:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/198/154 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress:

to fight against constipation I assume pills called in Italy "the 12 herbs of good transit" but I'm afraid this is the reason I'm stuck for over a month... am I wrong? those herbs pills contain carbohydrates? help please....
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-17, 22:05

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naya999

I have been following the ketogenic diet and have been having no problems with going # 2. I just started to fear that this may mean I'm doing something wrong with my diet.

It sounds to me as if you are doing everything right. Not everyone will experience constipation, particularly if they follow a few simple suggestions:

1) keep hydrated;
2) eat plenty of salt to keep your electrolytes in balance and water in your colon;
3) eat plenty of fat (this may be why ketogenic is working better for you than standard low carb)
4) eat most of your daily carbs as low starch vegetables
5) keep moving (walking at a comfortable pace for you is great exercise)

Keep up the good work!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-11-17, 16:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF, VLCHFLC
Stats: 375/270/225 Male 6ft 0in
BF:Nope I'm Straight
Progress: 70%

My first go round years ago I would go through terrible issues with it. This time around I have had little issues. Whats different this time around? much more fat. more exersise, and not sure if it matters but I am doing IF as well. if I strat to even feel the slightest bit "Sluggish" I make some strong cold brew cofffee and everything is better.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-17, 17:14
Registered Member

Plan: SB
Stats: 167/161/155 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naya999
I have heard of and also experienced for myself in the past having constipation while on a low carb diet.

Is constipation something that only some will experience on low carb or does it happen to everyone?

OMG! I had just the opposite. I guess my digestive system can't handle all that fat. Bad cramps and them WOOOSH!

If I stick with this and I adjust to digesting fat and so much protein I may experience constipation as well. Oh boy!

I think for me, because I have been low fat since college I am unable to handle the fat. It seems to go right through me without warning. I think for me it's the animal fats and all the bad nasty stuff that is in meat these days. I know that protein can be very constipating and it can wreck your kidneys.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-17, 22:56

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritty
I know that protein can be very constipating and it can wreck your kidneys.

I've read on the internet that it can make your kidneys explode 😱, though it's never happened to me.

Last edited by Liz53 : Thu, Jul-20-17 at 08:24.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-04-17, 16:39

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 154/135/122 Female 5 ft. 2 in.
BF:
Progress:
Default Go With the Flow

Yes, low carb, even Keto, can constipate even those of us who usually had the total opposite reaction from food. Don't forget to factor in the fact you are probably eating less and your body is using more of the nutrients instead of wasting them. I too add some extra magnesium 1,000 mg along with my regular daily vitamins when having difficulty. Important to take a good multivitamin and other supplements when on Keto. You are like a diesel engine now instead of a gasoline engine. Also, don't be afraid to use a glycerin suppository if you feel impacted. Just sayin' it's necessary sometimes. Good luck!

Last edited by YoungNana : Fri, Aug-04-17 at 16:49. Reason: clarification