Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1141   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-05, 14:30

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hi Joan.
I go to curves 5 days a week.
Tonight I should go. Just have to push myself on some days.
Was thinking of just doing tredmil and exersice ball and get back into abs.
I got a scale I really like. I weigh my meats.I measure all my dreesings too.
I found that if you also get a plate that is devited it helps. Big part vegs and small part meats. use 1/2 cups for brown rice.ect.
I also use curves new whey shakes. BUT I now count carbs and calaries.
For 60z. is 6 carbs and 132cals.
Im adding apple.for 80 cals and 22 carbs. I try to keep carbs under 50.
I find too that as we get older it is harder to get wt. off.
End Aug. I sign up again at curves.
Do u do other things? Of exericing? I have to. just i stop and dont keep going. But if I like this weight to come off have to do something more.
take care.
Hello Kat.
Sponsored Links
  #1142   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-05, 14:32

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:
Progress: 65%

shake calaries should read 6 OZ<
  #1143   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-05, 18:46

Plan: South Beach (restart)
Stats: 330/267.5/190 Female 65"
BF:47.5%
Progress: 45%

I am about to add swimming at least twice a week, until cooler weather, then I'd like to walk 3-5 miles a day (in addition to Curves)

I'm afraid I'm a bit big for an exercise ball yet. I have a Health Rider but don't care for it much. I suppose I should give it 5-10 mins. a day for a few weeks though.

I sure hope they dont take all the free foods away! I need a full plate, and eat mushrooms and spinach by the lb...
  #1144   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 07:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 221/206.5/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Hi all you Curve's ladies.

Just wanted to jump in here. I used to go to Curve's about five years ago and loved it. I have finally rejoined last week, it is so nice have one about 2 minutes from work, so I go either before or after work, depending on my schedule.

I absolutely love the place I have joined. There is so much energy in there and the owners are great, they do all they can to make it fun. When I could not make it this last weekend I felt like crap, my day just does not seem complete if I don't make it there. I can see myself doing this for a long time. The best part is after I'm finished I feel like I worked out, but not like I killed myself.

Joan, the swimming will be great excersise. I actually started this a few weeks ago. I go three times a week and swim laps for 30min. It has been quite a while since I did this, and actually I forgot how much work it really is, but I love being in the water so it is also fun.

Jenny
  #1145   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 08:36
Doctor Dirt

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%
Default Help! Ankle Injury??

Hi, I have been going to Curves now for 4 months. At first I could only make it 2 or 3 times a week but lately I've increased my workouts to 4X a week.

And everything was going GREAT until last week when I noticed a twinge in my ankle while I jogged between stations. I took ibuprofen and it felt better but this morning my ankle was agonizingly sore.

This really sucks because I am doing SO well and really sticking to my workouts.

So I realize that I'm going to have to take some time off and maybe tape my ankle when I go back. Any other ideas? Have any of you experienced this type of thing?

Jeannie
  #1146   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 12:11

Ouch, sounds like you might have sprained your ankle?

No, knock wood... I haven't been hurt and haven't had to interrupt my routine.

The exercises are in the book, you can do most of them with the resistance bands while seated..

Good luck, how your ankle heals quickly.
  #1147   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 20:32

Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

i love curves! it is been really good for me. i try to go 5 days a week right now. but i usally go 3 days to 4. i am going to try going more days. i have lost 12 inches from may (late may) TO JULY of this yr. i am going to keep going !!1 i like it. i am not one to move around but i am doing it there. it is fun1 sue
  #1148   ^
Old Sat, Jul-30-05, 05:28

Stats: 221/206.5/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 47%

I agree, I love going to Curve's. The one I joined is great. The ladies are great and everyone is having a good time. It's really cute to see some of the older ladies, it is like it is just a place for them to come and talk with other people. A lot of times they will just sit on a machine and talk with everyone. I love it!

I do push myself though, and make sure, I work up a sweat so I know I'm really getting a workout.

Jenny
  #1149   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 06:18

I've got 88 visits in, can't wait for the big 100! Then I get a star with my name up on the wall... one lady has made 400 visits! Wow!

I'm ready for the new 6 week challenge, signing up today. Looking forward to getting to go down and the skinny pants up!
  #1150   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 17:37

Plan: Suzanne somers
Stats: 237/232/170 Female 5: 6 1/2
BF:47.6/47.8/
Progress: 7%

Hi Amy,
I went to Curves for two years and loved it. I put my membership on hold for two months and also changed locations. The third time back I hurt my back. I thought I knew the stations well. One small mistake and my backed started spasing. I just finished aquatic therapy and heard many nightmares from others who hurt themselves while exercisng. The facilities do not monitor your style each time, so you could hurt yourself easily. I recommend anyone who has a back problem to look for aquatic therapy at your local Y. My insurance covered me, thank fully.
Hope this help
  #1151   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 19:20

What machine did you hurt your back on? I agree, you need to be careful. At my Curves they do monitor your form and correct you if needed, but not each and every time.

I've learned the muscle groups that should be working and adjust my form if that is not where I'm feeling it.

I've been injury free for 10 months... knock wood...

I'm sorry that you cannot go back Martha, I don't know what I'd do without it.
  #1152   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 21:57
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

Does anyone know how to get it so I don't get notified everytime someone responds to a thread? I like getting them from the ones I partake in, but I am now a Curves hater so I don't want this particular one.

OK, now that I said that I have to tell you why.....
First of all, it it's working for you I sure am not telling you not to go, it worked for me when I first started exercising.... but, I had decided to quit so I could join a gym with my husband. He became diagnosed diabetic and decided it would be fun to exercise together. So we found a gym here in town that has a pool, and treadmills, and bikes and equipment simular to curves, just not in a circle. I had not been going to curves for several months anyway because I got pneumonia, got better, it rebounded and I got bronchitis several times. I quit my membership by phone telling them I was sick and under Drs care. They said no problem, but the payments kept coming out of my checking account. So I made follow-up calls and more follow=up calls. Finally one day I went in and they said, oh, you can't quit on the phone it has to be in writting. So I said give me a piece of paper and I wrote I quit on it and signed and dated it. A week later, it came out of my checking account again. I called my bank and they put a stop to it, but couldn't get my prior months returned to me.
So a word to the wise, if you do decide to quit, take it in writting and have a witness, the reason I say this is that I know know others who had simular experiences.... one friend going through it now.
The other thing is, I just want you all to know is that most gyms do not have such limited hours. Here in California, I was paying $39 per month, and they were never open on Sunday and closed at 7:30 when I joined, a few months later that was changed to 6:30 on Mon thru Thurs and closed at 6 on Fridays. They also shortened their Saturday hours. My new gym is $66 a month for me and my husband, it has a pool with lap swimming and water aerobics classes 5 days a week in the morning and in the evening. It has most of the same equipment as curves and a weight room, and a basket ball court and about 15 tread mills 10 bikes and some stair steppers which I can't do, and these other machines that are kind of stair steppers but move more forward, I'm not coordinated enough for them at all, but I will be.

But bottom line to me is do what feels good to you and in my book any kind of exercise that you are doing intentionally aside from your everyday regular walking, housecleaning or your job is the #1 first step in losing weight.

I think the principal of curves is great that it's for women, because lets face it, there are lots of women who don't want to exercise with men. I just finally got over that and I figure if they don't like what they see.... don't look. At least when I'm at the gym i'm doing something about my weight.
  #1153   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 06:31

I'm glad you found what works for you Cheryl.
For me, it is no men, no makeup, no mirrors.

I think you would find a similar situation if you tried to quit your new gym, as it is just the nature of the business. When I signed on with an automatic debit to my account, I knew what I was getting into. I don't mind, I've nearly finished the first year and will go another year. You don't HAVE to pay with an automated debit, you can write a check every month.
  #1154   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 09:35

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have vowed to use my Curves more regulalry and hope to not quit until I am near goal. I will be going today to present my photo of a Curves gym that I visited while in Ohio a couple of weeks ago. I will get 3 Curves bucks for that picture and it will be hung on the wall. I wish I knew how to post things. I would post that photo on this site.
  #1155   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 21:39
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

Joan D, you are probably right about the direct payment from Curves... same as most other stopage of direct payments.

Bottom line is that we are all going somewhere to shake our booties and work out. I get the feeling from some people that our Curves is not as great as others out there.

My main thing why I quit my curves was the changing of their hours all the time. I work an alternate schedule and go to work at 6:30 am and get off at 4:30 pm. Our curves was closing at 5 pm on some nights, and ooooh the looks you get if you go in at 10 til 5. It takes me 20 minutes to get out the door and to the gym.

I heard that the on on the other side of town is open longer.

OH... and I got a giggle when you said no make up at gym???? Are there people out there that wear make up to the gym? So funny.