Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 16:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/228/170 Male 5'9"
BF:36%
Progress: 11%
Default Hi, I'm a new LC'er

Just want to say hi. I started Atkins on March 24th. I was in Ketosis (trace) by Monday morning. Jumped on the scale and it read 235. Wed. I got on the scale and it read 230! I checked this morning at is is at 228. So, I am happy with the results but am very concerned about the level of Ketosis I am maintaning. It seems as though I can never get past small on the ketostix bottle. And, when I check in the evening, it is almost like I'm not in it at all. Puzzeling considering I have ONLY eaten meat, chees and eggs. Every day. The first time I noticed it I had had a diet coke and was worried about if it had taken me out of ketosis or not. I checked that eve and found I was not in ketosis according to the stix. However, the next morn I was. So I am very concerned as to why I can not seem to get a nice dark purple reading. Beginning to frustate me a bit.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 17:20
Always Shining

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 363.3/332.6/145 Female 5'7"
BF:'fraid so...
Progress: 14%

Don't worry quite so much about the sticks. Some people who lose like crazy never even register on the sticks. If you're drinking a lot of water, that dilutes your urine and you'll get a lighter reading, too. If your sticks have been anywhere near humidity, or if they are old, you may not register as much, either. It is nice to see the color change, but don't be too concerned about the actual color.

Oh, and WELCOME!!! You're off to a great start! Keep up the good work!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 17:32
Wag more, bark less.

Plan: Meat.
Stats: 216/149/145 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I'm one of those people Wildflower is talking about--the first time I did Atkins I lost 50 pounds, but never registered a thing on the ketostix. Let your waistline be your guide--and congrats on the weight loss so far!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 17:35

Stats: 200/165/130 Female 5 ft 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 50%

and, conversely, when I did atkins a year or so ago, (I wasn't very committed and quit due to an affair with a krispy kreme donut topped with maple icing).... I had DARK purple stix and never lost a pound in six weeks.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 19:02
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Welcome, Wtucker! Glad you have joined us.

The following link has lots of information about what you can expect as a low-carber:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips.html

HTH!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-07, 08:28
Kerry

Plan: WW/Atkins
Stats: 368/266.5/199 Female 5'1
BF:M.O./O/chunky
Progress: 60%

As a New Low carber I really got into those sticks, but quickly learned they really mean nothing at all! Check first thing in the morning...forget it the rest of the day!
Your doing great! Let that be your guide!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishShrty
As a New Low carber I really got into those sticks, but quickly learned they really mean nothing at all! Check first thing in the morning...forget it the rest of the day!
Your doing great! Let that be your guide!

I'm getting a little concerned. I've been stuck at my current weight for about a week now. I am eating nothing but 1 can of tuna, in water, a can of roast beef, in water and then some sort of meat when I get home, a steak, a pork chop etc....I can't seem to get the scale to move. I think, and repeat think, as I never did any measurements before starting, that I can see some of my fat going away. But, since I have no confirmation by the scale, or measurements, I can't be sure. I really don't care if I stay at my current weight, if all the fat disapears..... Not sure how to intoduce more fat in my diet. Not much you can eat on the induction phase......

>Will
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 11:37

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum. Hi there..please eat these foods as a lowcarber..here is all the allowed food site.

http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkins-phases/phase-one/acceptable-foods/

You need to eat fat and veggies too. Just eat . Don't count calories.

Also if you get a journal on here it would help you a lot to keep track of what you are doing. Also www.fitday.com is a great place to start seeing what is in all the foods you eat. You can keep track of what you eat there every day.
Best of luck to you.

Anna
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 18:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/231/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Just like Fat said
Quote:
You need to eat fat and veggies too. Just eat

Where are your veggies and your not eating enough. READ THE BOOK.

You would not think of building a house without looking at the plans. You are rebuilding your nutrition. You need to follow the plans for the best results.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 07:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrier
Just like Fat said

You would not think of building a house without looking at the plans. You are rebuilding your nutrition. You need to follow the plans for the best results.

Not many veggies, at least what could be resonably eaten while on the induction. I've asked and no one has answered as to what other people have found to eat while on induction to give the amount of fat required. I am NOT going to snack on butter, so don't give me that one. Other than celery, there isn't much I would eat in the way of veggies, that are approved for the induction. Hell, have of them I don't ebven know what they are....
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 07:42

Quote:
Just like Fat said

FYI, I DID READ THE BOOK, THank you!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 07:43

Quote:
Just like Fat said

There is no "plan", just a guide line.....
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 12:32

The basic premise of all low carb diet plans is this: EATING FAT does NOT make us fat! Rather, eating an over-abundance of processed carbohydrates is what causes us to become fat. As low as 20g per day in the "Induction Phase" of the Atkins Diet, Keeping the amount of carbohydrates eaten lower than the average is the cornerstone of the low carb WOE.

On low-carb , you can eat until you're full, as long as you eat only allowed foods. Any way that is how I did it the first time around. I never ever counted one calorie.

This is my second time with Atkins. Please eat fat, protein, veggies, and drink all kinds of water. You will do just fine with out the cage. Trust me.

Think about getting a journal too.

Anna
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 14:23

[QUOTE=Fat]The basic premise of all low carb diet plans is this: EATING FAT does NOT make us fat! Rather, eating an over-abundance of processed carbohydrates is what causes us to become fat. As low as 20g per day in the "Induction Phase" of the Atkins Diet, Keeping the amount of carbohydrates eaten lower than the average is the cornerstone of the low carb WOE.

On low-carb , you can eat until you're full, as long as you eat only allowed foods. Any way that is how I did it the first time around. I never ever counted one calorie.

So I ask, 1 more time. What is it I can have while on the induction phase that will infuse more fat into my diet???

Will
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 14:32

How about Pork Rinds..in many flavors.. pork chops, ribs, steak, Turkey, chicken, Fried chicken..yummy..(in olive oil). Lamb, goose, rabbit. Just any kinds of meats that you love to eat. O yes and don't forget cheese. All fish too.

The amount of fat you can eat on a low-carb diet is not generally limited, except that you should not stuff yourself with anything, including fat. More important than the amount of fat, which should make up between 65 to 75% of your dietary calories, is the type of fat.

Partially hydrogenated trans fats should be strictly limited. Most margarines and shortenings contain a lot of these harmful fats. Most polyunsaturated vegetable oils should also be limited.

I got the information from this site if you want to read it.
http://wilstar.com/lowcarb/theplan.htm

I hope everything goes ok for you..hope I am of some help.
Anna

Last edited by Fat : Thu, Apr-05-07 at 14:44.