Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 20:14

Plan: Not Sure/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/160 Female 66
BF:???
Progress: 60%
Smile need help getting back on track!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=7][COLOR=DarkGreen]
OK .. so istarted a 'modified' Atkins Low Carb diet this past April and lost 30 lbs. No problems until this Sept/October when fruit harvest time came around and I was inundated with the bounty of the Northwest!!! All that FRUIT!!

Now I am having a hard time getting back into the swing of LOW CARB.
Breakfast is the hardest. I am sick of eggs~ I can't stand artificial sweetners~ oh my any suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 20:37

Plan: mine
Stats: 242/223/188 Male 69
BF:
Progress:
Default back on track

may i suggest a modified answer so you can have your fruits and not have any eggs if you want?
Please contact me
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 20:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 288/280/188 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hey Bob,
How could you just tell Mamazama to contact you for the answer, when Enquiry minds want to know? Please FORK over the answer to the rest of us Hee Hee!
Bratina
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 23:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Yes, I'd LOVE to see the answer, too! I have one daughter who absolutely abhors eggs (and within a couple of weeks no one else here will want to face one in the morning). We're going to work on some more creative ideas in the coming days (just been too busy the past few days), but would love to hear your input, too!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 01:10

Plan: Lean for Life
Stats: 185/182/140 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress:

Yes Bob, Please share your inspiring ideas with the rest of us. It's too hard to eat eggs so often, I get quite sick of them myself and would really like to know some refreshing breakfast ideas.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 02:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (Modified)
Stats: 242/216/155 Female 5´7
BF:shrinking!!
Progress: 30%
Default To Bob

I completely agree!!!! Pleaaase share it with us!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 16:19

BF:
Progress:

Ok, I'm responding to your questions.
I wanted the email so that I could go into some detail, but here goes the short version.
Your body craves three things. Fat, sugar(as carbs) and protein. Remember that.
The protein diet has seen a comeback in the last few years. It died originally from the pitfalls of it, high fat, cholesteral, danger to the kidneys from the ketones..the high protein is a good idea for the short term....but bad in the long.
Most of us want to see instant results or we will fail and fall back on bad habits.
All of these habits in part are due to your own bodies cravings.
If you don't get enough sugar(carbs) you will crave them and eventually give in, if you don't get enough protein to maintain your muscle mass, you'll crave it, and eventually give in. We've all read how essential fat is to your diet. If you don't get it, your body will use it's own store of fat to supplant what you don't get. This is important so I will say it again..if your body doesn't get enough fat, it will burn it's own. You'll have cravings for the fat no doubt...until you reach your body weight and introduce some fat back into it. You won't experience near the cravings for fat that you will with carbs and protein. Do you know why fatty foods taste so good to you? It's because you need it. Fat is the flavor in everything to humans. Fat is laced in meat, protein and carbs have no flavor in their base form. Is appealing to us only as long as the flavor(fat) is present
Fat free tastes like hell..no flavor, mostly carbs and protein, you crave the taste...you crave fat. Carbs all alone taste bland, for the most part minute traces of plant generated fat give what little flavor there is to carbs. With a high carb diet, which always fails, you crave both protein and fat. With a too high protein diet you crave fat and sugar..which are basically one and the same.
ok...I ramble...here is your answer...eat the fruit for breakfast. It will supply the sugar your body needs for instant energy after fasting for 7 or 8 hours.
You don't need the bacon, you've got all the fat you need, you need the protein from the meat in bacon. Fat makes it taste good, it makes you want it.
I advocate a modified protein diet. As little fat as you can get until you reach your weight...not a target weight. But the weight you feel good at. I advocate 40% protein, 60% carb. 0% or as near as possible of fat Until you reach your weight.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 16:30

BF:
Progress:
Talking More

one more thing...so much more to say to try to squeeze it in a few words that I may have confused the issue.
The Atkins diet plan is a good plan ...also designed for rapid weight loss, as all diets are. If you don't see nearly immediate results, you won't stick with it, period. That's the reasoning behind the thing...get people on it, get them eating differently, then slowly change it. Most rarely get past a half a year on it without reverting.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 18:14

BF:
Progress:

Ok...again...I wish to be emailed really so that I can fully explain everything...but here is my own pet theory, totally original as far as i can tell.
Take a chicken breast...skinned, steamed. 4 oz is normally one serving...100-110 calories...10 calories fat.
4 oz is about 110 grams...give or take. We all know a gram of fat is 9 calories, 4 each for protein and carbs.
so...an oz. being approx 29 grams. 116 calories or thereabouts for protein and carb, 255 for fat per oz. The rest is inert matter..undigestible for us lowly humans....works out to about 75% inert matter per oz.
I believe that we need that inert filler to tell our brain that we are full...if you don't have that inert material in the stomach to tell your body that you are full or have food ...you crave...
Everyone on this forum has eaten a boatload of meat..what do you crave?...Carbs..fruit...eat some fruit or a potato...not enough...another then...calorie intake is right...but you need more...you crave...the inert undigestable material is not enough to trigger the chemical that tells your body...ok.
Call me a lunatic if you will think about it. Talked to my doctor about it...she'd never heard of an Idea like that before. She's very intrigued by it.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 18:51

BF:
Progress:

here is the math
1 gram of protein=4 calories
1 gram of carbohydrates=4 calories
1 gram of fat=9 calories

1oz=approx 29 grams
29 grams x 4 calories of protein or carb=116
29 grams x 9 calories of fat= 261

1 oz of chicken breast contains approx 6 grams of protein, .26 grams of fat. The rest is water and inert matter. 75%
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 19:04

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

bob bob bob...the reason they are called essential fatty acids is because they are essential and only derived from your diet....not your own fat stores....are you a dietician?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 19:46

BF:
Progress:

Hi kay,
No, I'm not a nutritionist or a dietician. Just someone with an idea and a lot of research. The idea works. Essential fatty acids are not produced by the body and must be found elsewhere. I will give you that.
You need approximately 3 grams of omega-3 and omega
6 per day...max 54 calories.
You will not die if you don't get them. Essential fatty acids are a lifetime thing....too much of either is bad for you, especially omega 6.
Essential fatty acids are not required to help digestion,or production of enzymes to speed metabolism or boost it. You will absorb fat in any diet. if you don't absorb 10 grams of fat...including the omega-3 and 6 fats, I would be astounded.
I said keep it as close to zero as possible. Ideally you would. A relatively short term loss of even those few calories will be harmless.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 19:53

BF:
Progress:

btw kay...
I've been to 2 dieticians in the past, One was an excersise fanatic, and the other was a total calorie counter. Both dismissed the atkins diet as crap.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 20:02

BF:
Progress:

Dieticians like math..they use formulas, they use the current theory, they use whatever is the most current data...right or wrong.
25 years ago..you were encouraged to eat red meat, 23 years ago it was bad, bad, bad. You should eat carbs
then 21 years ago...oops carbs are bad. so on and so forth. Milk is good for you...then bad. Eggs are great..then not so great.
So just wait for the next development...next thing you know Essential fatty acids won't be so essential anymore.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 20:24

BF:
Progress:

Here's the real skinny on fat:

There is a large body of scientific evidence from epidemiological studies, animal research, and randomized, controlled trials in humans showing that high-protein, high fat foods, particularly excessive animal protein, dramatically increase the risk of breast cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease, and many other illnesses. In the short run, they may also cause kidney problems, loss of calcium in the bones, and an unhealthy metabolic state called ketosis in many people. The American Dietetic Association recently condemned high-protein diets as being dangerous, "a nightmare of a diet.
Protein is not harmful to you. The fat is harmful. Fat is not your friend, protein is.