Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 15:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/175/164 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 82%
Unhappy 7 Months and only lost 7 pounds

This is my 1st time posting. I need your thoughts on my case. In Nov. 2002 my doctor told me to try Atkins. The 1st 2 weeks I lost the 7 pounds. That was 7 months ago!!! Since then I have hit a plateau. I generally keep my carbs under 20, my protein around 90-120, sodium 2100-3100, fat 82-125, calories 1600-2100, water 64-100 oz daily. I gave up anything with sugar alcohol in it after reading somone else's post. For the last 3 months I even stepped up my exercise from 1 hr of daily walking outside(3 miles) to walking a treadmill doing 30 min.(2 miles) before work in the am and 30 min(2 miles) in the pm. I'm a 51 yr. old female and usually my heart rate goes anywhere from 125-142. Why arn't I loosing weight??? I complained to the doctor. Then he tells me that Atkins is known for only being effective the first couple of weeks, then not so good after that. He now suggest I try weight watchers!! I don't know what to do. Everything about Atkins makes absolute logical sense. Eating lowfat made me this overweight. Does anyone have a suggestion that will help me!! Maybe there's still something that I'm doing wrong. Please help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 15:17
Contributing Member

Plan: CKD - TKD
Stats: 270/265/240 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

Cinnemon, welcome to the board!

are you using ketostix? if so, are they indicating that you're in ketosis?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 15:29
Registered Member

BF:
Lightbulb

Thanks for answering me ManoOpus. The keto stiks were only turning pink when I was drinking under 64 oz. Since then i believe my urine is too watered down for it to show anything.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 15:42
Nursing Mama

Plan: High fat 80/15/5
Stats: 255/243/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Cinnemon,

How do your clothes fit? Is it possible that you could be gaining muscle with all those workouts and your body is completely changing its shape even though the scale is saying the same thing?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 19:33
Registered Member

BF:
Red face

Nope, my clothes are still fitting just the same My legs feel better though I tok the measurements of my waist, hips and thighs before I started Atkins. With losing the 7 pounds I only lost a few inches over all.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 21:15

Plan: Curves low carb/cal plan
Stats: 230/160/155
BF:35%/24.5%/23.5%
Progress: 93%

Cinnemon,
I am new to the board, too. I tried Atkins a few times, and would lose for 3 weeks, and completely stop. I'm not putting Atkins down--it works great for so many people, and I believe in so much of its philosophy.
I do the Curves low carb plan in combo with its low cal plan, along with strength training there. In 9 months, I lost 65 #. For me, it seems I cannot eat high fat. Even if I kept my carbs to 20 grams a day, if I ate too much fat I would not lose.
Walking and treadmills are great, but working all sets of muscles will burn fat so much faster. Check to see if there's a Curves near you. Or buy the new book and do the exercises at home.
I'm not trying to "sell" you on anything--just letting you know what worked for me.
I hope I've been of some help.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 01:31
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Are you by any chance on HRT or other prescription medications? This post may give you a hand:

Are You Really a Turtle?

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 05:19

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Default Lo-carb, lo-carb, lo-carb!!

Please don't go to weight watchers.

You most certainly should try a different lo-carb program, but not a low fat, high carb regime. What a worn out record that is!

Please look over the link to the right "Which low-carb plan is right for me?" There are so many choices that may jump start your weight loss and give you steady success. Perhaps 20 carbs is just too low for your body and your body would be better served with a different lo-carb WOE.

I'm amazed at your ability to stick with it with such limited success. What a great job you've done!

Jeannie
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 08:58
Registered Member

BF:

Curvylady thanks for answering. How much fat do you consider too much?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 09:06
Registered Member

BF:

JeannieF thanks for answering. I don't want to go to weight watchers, but this doctor is giving me such conflicting advice. Hes only 20 something and slim. I feel that he really doesn't understand my frustration and is just pulling his answers out of thin air. When I went back to him after the first mo that I did lose, I was thanking him profusely for giving me the Atkins answer that had changed my weight. He didn't even recall his advise. Do you have any suggestions for me? Also where do I go to get a journal?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 10:19

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Default Hi Cinnemon:

Some people just don't lose on Atkin's and some lose more than 100 lbs. on Atkin's. Every body is different.

Some people switch from Atkin's to one of the other lo-carb plans and then they start losing. I've seen that many times in this forum. I do CAD, but you need to take the Carbohydrate Addicts Test to see if it applies to you. If you aren't a carb addict, it won't be the right plan for you. (I believe they have a link in the "Which plan is right for me" link on the right.)

As to the Journal, try clicking on the Support Forum link at the top right of this page. Then scroll down. You'll find the link to the journals toward the bottom of that page. Click on the appropriate alphabet letter ("C" for yours) and then read the info on starting a journal.

I think I've made it seem harder than it is. It's not all that hard.

Good luck, again, on finding your low carb solution. It's out there!

Jeannie
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 21:25

Plan: Curves low carb/cal plan
Stats: 230/160/155
BF:35%/24.5%/23.5%
Progress: 93%

JeannieF is right--everybody is different. I started counting my fat grams when I realized I wasn't losing. By experimenting with different counts, I found I needed to keep my fat to 25-30 grams a day, plus keep my carbs to 20 during Phase I of Curves plan (like the Atkins induction, it lasts 2 weeks). It worked great for me, but like I said, everybody is different. I just happen to be carbohydrate and calorie sensitive. It can make for a greater challenge dieting, but it can be done.
Another key to Curves plan is when you hit a plateau, you GAIN back 2-3 pounds to stimulate your metabolism and begin again. It worked great for me.
Also, walking was not enough for me. I believe the strength training was another key. Now if I could only lose those last 10 pounds!!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 07:34
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

As odd as it may seem, I think you guys helped me clear my thinking. I looked back over my daily food charts. I think if I drink just one cup of coffee a day I gain weight. It's decaf, 8 oz., 2packets of Splenda, 2 tsblespoons of half/half. Is it possible?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 16:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 245/245/165
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi
I have had the same experience you have had. I too lost about 10 lbs in the first month and after that i just didn't loose anymore. Back then I think I went a little overboard with the fats and possibly the hidden carbs. I'm curious about the curves plan, I'm locked in to a gym memebership now so joining curves is out of the question. does anyone know where i can check it out. Is it cinnemon who was having the problem?Any way, lets figure out why we have been having such a tough time. bcl
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 16:20
Contributing Member

Plan: CKD - TKD
Stats: 270/265/240 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

man, have you guys been over to the Tips and Stall section under the Low Carb & Health Fourm heading.....wow, there's alot of info on stalling while LCing, I've been over there for the past few hours reading and there's lots of suggestions for kick starting the weight loss again! check it out.....