Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 08:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally posted by manatee
Kids are overweight today largely in part to too much TV, Nintendo, internet. Little or no physical activity or extremely sedentary lifestyle.

We had TV when I was in Elementary School. We had Atari and Nintendo came along sometime in there. We got exercise going to school, during school, and coming back from school. At the time, we got plenty from those three. Kids aren't normally allowed to play at night. If the parents work all day, there is no time for the kid to play...except at school and aftercare. You can't blame them for not exercising, when you are forcing them to sit in a classroom for most of the daylight hours. Nintendo and TV are not the enemy. Kids are meant to exercise during the day. If they're playing Nintendo or watching TV after dark, that is not taking away from their exercise. What takes away from exercise is forcing them to sit 6-10 hours a day with no recess and very little physical activity.

Quote:
Percentage of diet coming from sugar is not the culprit. Is the total amount of not only sugar but of fat and more importantly, of calories.

The total amount of sugar is also too high. Trans-Fat is off the charts. I don't know anyone who would say that getting rid of fried meats for grilled and roasted meat; sugary juice bars for fresh fruit; and french fries for fresh vegetables is a bad thing...except maybe the suagr and wheat industry.

Quote:
For a sedentary lifestyle you cannot consume what this kids consume. Fries and not healthy in any diet. Not just a low carb one.

I never said fries are bad just because of the carbs. They are also loaded with Trans-Fat, which is not healthy in any diet. Same thing with fried foods. Fried foods are the crux of school food. That has to change.

As for them being sedentary, that is partly the school's fault. They need to allow these kids to get physical activity at school. You cannot force a kid to sit for 6-10 hours a day and then expect him to all his exercise in the few remaining daylight hours, if any. They need to get more exercise and school is the best place to do it. Let them have 1 hour of recess during the school day and then the full 4 hours of aftercare should be physical activity like it used to be. When you get 5 hours of exercise at school...you don't need any at home.

Quote:
Low carb is needs further research before we start recommending for children. Their dietary needs are different. Children need to monitor CALORIC intake and increase physical activity and limit sedentary.

I didn't suggest low-carb. I suggested restricting refined sugar, getting rid of fried foods, and serving more fresh fruits and vegetables. These are not only the principles of low-carb, they are the foundation of most healthy diet. Would you not agree that less refined sugar, avoiding fried foods, and getting more fresh fruits and vegetables is good for children.

Quote:
Don't go overboard and start blaming children obesity on too much carbs alone. It is not that simple of a problem.

I didn't say that. I blamed it on too many refined foods, taking away their recess, and rewarding sedentary (Book It).
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 10:05

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

This caused me to have a flashback to the lunches my mother used to pack. Luncheon meat between two slices of cotton-like white bread (the one that sticked to the roof of your mouth). A small bottle of sugared water pretending to be juice. A twinkie-like dessert.

No wonder my 2 siblings and I are fat.