Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 11:44

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Kathy, yesterday I was going off for the whole afternoon and messed around not leaving enough time for a good lunch. I needed something to take along. So I got a hunk of cream cheese and an ounce of macadamia nuts and put them in a plastic bag. I added a good sprinkle of cajun seasoning and ate it on the way. It worked great. Now I know what I can take for a quick snack if I can eat it soon or have a cooler. Thanks for the idea. I am not ready to do a few days of it, but it is a possibility now that I have decided to try to get a little lower.

The Iowa political season has started. Those of you who see my facebook page know who I went to see. Lots of fun.

Fingers crossed for good building weather this week. Friday night I was trying to cut some black fabric and the lighting in my sewing room is really bad. I stopped cutting and got out a piece of paper and started noting where I wanted electric outlets and lighting in my new room. Lots of great ideas online for cool lighting.

I also was looking at ways to repurpose old furniture and I discovered a page that shows ways to repurpose pianos into neat furniture. My son has my childhood piano and he is ready to get rid of it. I don't know if I have room for it, but John said he would look at the ideas.

Hasta la vista.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 19:40

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 189/142/135 Female 66 inches
BF:hmmmm?
Progress: 87%

Ah, Susan, repurposing a piano sounds like a great idea. I have a beautiful French provincial upright that no one has played in 20+ years. I only keep it because it's so pretty and it looks good in my entry. Hmmm.....

Now, Blue, I just knew you had Spanish in your soul. I'm glad that you understand my knowledge quest. I've been like this all my life. A lot of people think it's silly and pointless to attempt to learn a WHOLE new language at my age (That's what my grandson said to me. He wondered why I would actually want to study. This was a year ago when he was graduating from college and had had enough of it.), but in my humble opinion, they just have no imagination. Learning keeps me young at heart and exercises what's left of my brain. Also, it does my heart good to see how a Spanish-speaking-only patient lights up when I speak my few meager words to them in their native language. Certainly, we have Spanish bilingual nurses, but they are sooo busy.

How excellent you must feel, Kathy. There is absolutely nothing like sweet success. I am so happy for you. I'd love to join you, but I fear nothing but cream cheese and macadamia nuts would create a horrendous big D problem for me. I'm not really fond of macadamia nuts either..... There's always an excuse, isn't there! -- even if it's a valid one. Maybe I could try one day on and one day off, staying very low carb on the off days.

It's nice to see you here again, Linda. It's been a long time, and I hope you are back to stay for a while. You sure have lots of fun and adventures with your boys.

Saludos a todas.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 09:23
Every day is day 1.

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 249.0/220.6/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Yup. I know.
Progress: 32%

Good morning Labbies!

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Blue - are you traveling home today? Safe travels friend!

The weekend was busy as usual but that's normal for now. When ball is over the weekends will come to a screeching halt and cleaning/organizing the basement will begin. Happy happy joy joy. Bryce (7 yo) had a tournament Friday and Saturday that didn't go as planned. Yes, they did not win- but Bryce played well and that is all I can ask of him. Saturday morning Lanson had the opportunity to learn about aviation and ride in an airplane with the Young Eagles - free. (Best part? Free.) They invited his boy scout troop to participate in their aviation day. Saturday night we took the boys and a couple of friends over to Marion IL to watch the Southern Illinois Miners play. Lanson was a bat boy and he had a blast! (Belated birthday event.) The lady who set-up the ticket package for me threw in 4 passes for a free hotdog, chips and a drink. Wow! That and the half price concession pricing before the game made the outing very reasonable. We would go to a lot of games if it wasn't a 1.5 hour drive. I'm sure we'll take the boys and see another game or two before their season ends. They have a lot of promotional nights that make it a cheap game - except for the gas to get there.

Susan - Good going finding an easy and quick 'on the go' snack! Here is a link for some ideas on fat fasting foods. http://www.carbsmart.com/fatfast.html I don't think I could do the cream cheese and macadamia nuts for three days (You go Kathy!!!) but perhaps with some of the ideas mentioned on the carb smart site it would be very do-able. I think some of them will make some quick and easy take a long meals for day to day low carbing. I definitely see the benefits of the fat fast.

Sherri - You are never too old to learn and do new things. It is what keeps us 'living'!! YOU GO GIRL!!! One of these days ( probably when my kids are out of the house ) I want to take some of the extension courses provided by the university here. The parks and rec department at Cape Girardeau also has short classes they offer on various topics during the winter and spring that I think about taking but never manage to do so. I think I will try to take one of the cake decorating or craft classes this fall. Not the same as learning a new language but it's a start!

Later all!
Linda

Last edited by askwhy456 : Mon, Jun-15-15 at 09:29.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 09:55
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Lurking but not reading. In the car headed home. About to cross into Indiana. I'll read and catch up soon. It has been a great trip. Let's not talk about eating on plan, okay?

Later 'gators.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 10:09
Every day is day 1.

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 249.0/220.6/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Yup. I know.
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes2
Let's not talk about eating on plan, okay?

Just call it 'carb cycling' (high carb days) and then go into your 'low carb' days.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-15, 04:49

Plan: Keto
Stats: 211.9/194.4/145 Female 67 "
BF:Good question!
Progress: 26%

Wonder of all wonders. Not only is the fat fast loss holding but I am down another 1/2 pound this morning!

Okay, you guys know like no other group how NOTHING has prompted any weight loss for me in over 3 years no matter how strict I have been so this is a miracle for me! One that deserves my best happy dance!!!

I am stoked!!!! I need to send Dr. Westman a great big huge thank you!!!!

I am still being very strict and only eating 2 meals a day within an 8 hour window, but the combo of fat fast and strict is giving me renewed hope!

Thanks Lab Rats for being there through it all!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-15, 08:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/160/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Good morning everyone.

Have actually caught up with the past posts and good to read what everyone is up to.

Been very busy here. My son is getting married the 20th! Have been very busy helping future DIL with all the details. Her parents have both passed and so I am kinda the surrogate.

Very excited for them.

I SO want to go on a cruise. Maybe we can meet you next year Kathy! I have trouble with motion sickness, so will find out about the patch because I don't want that to stop me.

Bugs! When we lived in FL, for three years, it just about killed me! I have a phobia of bees! Don't really know why but they just terrify me. I saw the biggest damn bee ever known to be in existence, in FL!! Practically killed myself getting away from it. And the mosquitos!! I thought it was one of those mosquito eaters! It was HUGE!!

Living in Nevada, there are rattle snakes but haven't seen any. Have seen a tarantula, that was trying to get into my garage but hubby to the rescue and it was relocated way down the street in a field.

We are the doctor doolittles of the street! Feed the many birds, especially quails who live here. Squirrels, rabbits, sure the many field mouse in the area help themselves too! We also have wild horses that wander the streets and we put out apples and other veges for them to help themselves too.

Ahhh, eating! I am either very, very good or very very bad. Can't seem to find that sweet spot. Exercise has fallen by the way side again. Am trying not to beat myself up for it but sometimes it is difficult.

What's difficult is that just a tiny bite of something off plan starts a whole world of craving that makes me crazy. Even if it's a bite of fruit.

But as always, I am working on it. Going to get keto clarity either Thursday or Friday.

I don't mind cutting back on protein but will never be a vegan or vegetarian. I just love my ribeye too much!!

So off to take care of obligations and responsibilities. Very hot here but at least not humid. There really is a difference in a dry heat! Love the mornings and nights. Can open all the windows and let the fresh air in!

Have a glorious Tuesday!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-15, 08:52

Bambi, meeting you on the low carb cruise next year would be awesome!!! As a matter of fact, next year's detail have just been posted! Here's the link:

http://www.lowcarbcruiseinfo.com/2016/

The patch works wonderfully!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-15, 11:48

BF:

Yayyy for Kathy, success after a long dry spell.

Bambi, great to see you.

Not much going on here, the sun is shining, finally, and the builder is banging away out there. Yayy. I am holding below 160 but up .4 today. Fingers crossed. I have been working on a small quilt that is pattern free, but not an art quilt. Quite out of my comfort zone.

Take care, all.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-15, 14:30

Plan: lc
Stats: 236/-/150 Female 68"
BF:of course
Progress: 100%

New digs! Thx Blue.
I am so not caught up. But I wanted to stop by and say that I have a job!!!
I start next week with a wuick trip to San Diego. Just down and back the next day, HR stuff and getting up to speed for the actual work expected. It is construction support so that will be fun. Quite a change from engineering, but hopefully fun.
I look forward to getting back on a strick schedule of eating right. Being home has been nice in many ways but not the free access to food. It would have been nice to have the summer off but my bank account will appreciate the job, even as the dogs won't.

Best to all.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-15, 14:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/160/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Hey everybody!
Just a drive by.

Thanks for the info Kathy!

Off again! Too much to do!
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-15, 16:30

Yay Jan!!! So happy for you!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-15, 10:26
It's Only Food!

BF:

Afternoon, Kids!

I came back to things to read about people I love! Y'all did GOOD! Okay, okay, the grammar OCD in me has to say.....You did well!

Carb cycling, huh? Well if that's the case I won the freakin' Tour du Fat! I even wore a yellow shirt. Not as bad as I expected. I'm up 4 pounds. It could have been far worse. But I'm up 4 pounds from a regain so I need to lose 12 pounds to get to my lowest thus far. Now if you're following this I need to get with it and stop playing with carbs. That's the big bottom line.

I'm so proud of you all for doing this. Kathy, you're my hero! Way to go! Cream cheese and macadamias.....here I come. Thanks, Linda, for the link to other fat fast foods. I already do most of them but I'm giving myself permission to just stick with them for a few days. Traveling is not keto friendly when one is forced to eat at family functions.

Susan, good for you with your new low too! The room addition is coming right along. Now if only the weather would cooperate. We saw ditches and fields full of water from the recent rains there.

Jan.....you got a job! Way to go!!!!! I hope it's something that will work perfectly for you. That has got to be a relief for you. Well done!

Bambi, how exciting! A wedding! Lots to plan and do. Keto Clarity is my rock for keeping my head on straight. Now while he tested blood ketones regularly, I did not. I throw ketones in urine without fail. While some may not, I do. The magic for me was lowering the protein and upping the fats. It's an easy read too.

Linda, I'm so sorry about Bryce. Head wounds bleed like the dickens anyway and the poor little guy had to get stiches to boot. Hope he heals up nicely and that the bill isn't too awful.

Sherri, I'm sure the Spanish will come in handy for you. Even if you never used it, I like that you are a continual learner. There is so much out there we don't know. I learn something every day and learned a whole lot on our recent trip that I never knew before. That's the beauty of seeing and having the internet to search. If you ever want to know about dryers for corn or beans, jake brakes on trucks, the difference between diesel and gasoline engine compression and fuels, and Des Moines versus LaMoine.....just come ask me or, better yet, look it up!

I'm actually excited about getting on plan again. Y'all have given me a boost. Whoo-hoo!

Today we're having a new dishwasher installed. The floors will follow shortly thereafter. The thought of packing and moving the whole flippin' house is NOT something I'm looking forward to. I don't know how we're going to orchestrate this. They have to rip up the carpeting so everything has to move. It's overwhelming right now to think about. Oye.

So....I think I've caught up. If not....well....

Later 'gators!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-15, 20:07

BF:

Glad you are safely home, Blue.

Jan Congratulations on the new job. Fingers crossed that it is an easy transition.

After a day above 160, I am back at 159.5 today. At least if I am stalling again, it is a new low stall.

The addition work is going very well. They have worked like crazy for the last 3 days, after a rain day on Monday. The roof is almost finished.

This Saturday we are going to an US automobile club race at the Iowa Speedway which is right down the road from us. I have never been to a car race but have always been curious. I was given the tickets by a friend who works there on race weekends. I don't go to the NASCAR races held there because they are very expensive. Well I like to try a lot of things once.

Hasta la vista
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-15, 08:25
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Hey stalling at a new stall low counts in my book. Boy does it ever. Way to go, Susan.

I've stayed near the track while on a vacation trip to Minnesota. They run Xfinity races (aka Nationwide, aka Busch Cup) but not the Sprint Cup (aka Winston from the old days). The last time I was there was a race weekend and we had a heck of a time finding a place to stay. Ended up near Pella. Now that's a nice little town indeed.

I'm down a few pounds from the trip. I feel SO much better. Yesterday I stopped at the store and loaded up on fat fast foods. Today's lunch snack is cream cheese and hard salami slices for roll ups. Of course I have heavy cream in my coffee. I've managed to lose the road bloat too. That, in and of itself, has made me feel 100 times better.

The dishwasher arrived and has been installed. It took them about 30 minutes to take out the old and put in the new. They really did a good job and knew what they were doing. Tres amigos. One spoke English really well and the others spoke simply but well. I didn't dare use Spanish with them for fear they'd start talking to me at the speed of light. I'm okay if it's reeeeeaaaaaaalllllllllllyyyy sloooooooooooooooooowwwwwww. So I played pollo and kept my trap shut.

Now that I'm back y'all don't disappear. This isn't Blue's Blog y'know.

Okay...got to get back to it. Being away causes so much more work.

Later 'gators.