Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 08:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/215 Male 6 foot
BF:
Progress:
Default New!

Hello Everyone!

My name is Rick and I'm restarting the low carb journey after a couple of unsuccessful attempts a few years back. I know this works, and I know I need to stick with it.

I just hit an all time high of 300 lbs and couldn't believe what the scale said. I also was told I am borderline diabetic. Those were words enough for me to stop myself dead in my tracks.

I need a change, and it starts now. I welcome all the suggestions and tips. I'm currently re reading Atkin's 72 and doing some online searches. Hope everyone is doing well this Monday!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 10:44

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Hi Rick. Welcome! This site has many resources for you. If you have any questions, there are a lot of knowledgeable posters who will chime in. All the best on your journey!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 12:23
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

Hi Rick,
I'm you. Except my all time high was 410, and I was diagnosed as a full-blown diabetic. From my all time high in 2009, I lost and managed to keep off (with some fluctuations) about 60 lbs, which was enough to get the blood sugars in control and "only" be borderline.

In January, 26 weeks ago today, I restarted this way of living for the last time. Since then, I'm down an additional 78 pounds.

I like you, said "this works, I just need to stick with it." But the greater mystery was "how do I stick with it?" I'm guessing you've asked yourself that same question.

Fortunately, in January I also stumbled upon this forum, and met a guy named Ken who, at that point had lost some 200 lbs and Ken's secret was: "no cheats. Ever." After some initial resistance, I got in line, to see what was going on. That's when I figured it out. No Cheats Ever is not just a mantra, it is THE secret, in my estimation. In previous attempts at this, I would do the occasional plate of Super Nachos and the occasional meal of that great thin crust pizza that I loved. On those previous attempts, I could actually see that little to no harm was done on my weight! I thought "this is great! I can cheat once in awhile and keep losing! woohoo!" The problem wasn't the scale, though. The problem was between my ears. Give me an inch, I took a mile. And this is what happens....pretty soon, it's no longer a cheat meal...it's a cheat day....it's a cheat weekend....week....month....and pretty soon I'm off plan saying, "I'll get back on." And it all started with one little cheat, saying, "it isn't going to hurt me, right?"

This time IS different. I don't give myself those opportunities to cheat. Because I realize it is a slippery slope.

For my eating plan, I think I'm pretty close to Atkins 72. I eat a few vegetables, but otherwise eat mostly meat, eggs, and the fat they contain. I typically choose the fattiest cuts. I use butter or bacon grease for my cooking, and occasionally coconut or olive oil in things.

But the biggest thing is making the mental decision that this is a way of living for my lifetime; not just while it's helping me lose weight; not just when I feel like it; but for the long term. And I've seen some remarkable transformations. And that's the real secret.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 14:21

BF:
Progress:

Wow, thank you for the VERY helpful information. Everything you said was on point ~NEMarvin ... I think sticking with it is tough and you're right about cheating.

This can be done!

Thanks again for your kind words!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 18:03

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Here's the awesome thing, though, Rick (my brother's name, BTW).

Once you make that decision, everything is a lot easier. Because it's no longer "Oh, they brought all that beautiful food to the office, I'd be rude not to have some." It's "Sorry, I get sick when I eat that kind of food, these days." Because what could be sicker than diabetic, right?

It's not "Should I? Will it be OK?" It's "I'll have something else, and I'll be fine.

When you KNOW that the only foods that you say yes to are the ones that are on plan, you have so many fewer decisions to make, that it's beautiful!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 18:27

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMarvin
No Cheats Ever is not just a mantra, it is THE secret...Give me an inch, I took a mile. And this is what happens....pretty soon, it's no longer a cheat meal...it's a cheat day....it's a cheat weekend....week....month....and pretty soon I'm off plan saying, "I'll get back on." And it all started with one little cheat, saying, "it isn't going to hurt me, right?"

I'm not going to admit how long it took me to figure that out, but you are SO right. No cheats. No snacks. If there isn't any food that's safe for me to eat, it's better not to eat at all.

Before I used to cheat "just a little" on birthdays, holidays, vacations - but no more. Diabetes doesn't take vacations. On our vacation last month I not only stayed on plan - I lost weight. That's not something that usually happens!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 19:22

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Welcome! I hope you find as much support here as I have!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 20:32
Boldly going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I'm not going to admit how long it took me to figure that out, but you are SO right. No cheats. No snacks. If there isn't any food that's safe for me to eat, it's better not to eat at all.

Before I used to cheat "just a little" on birthdays, holidays, vacations - but no more. Diabetes doesn't take vacations. On our vacation last month I not only stayed on plan - I lost weight. That's not something that usually happens!

Haha I'll admit it. It has taken me 13 years from my first low carb foray. Much longer if you count previous "diets."
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-16, 02:06

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome, Rick.

Like you, I peaked at just over 300lb in April last year, so I too can relate. I exercised my way down to 291 by October (not much progress for 6 months of effort!) before I discovered the concept of the LCHF diet, and the weight has been falling off ever since.

I didn't find this forum until March of this year, but I can tell you it's a wonderful resource full of wonderful people who will give you all the support and advice you need. Ken is our resident superstar as Marvin has mentioned, and Marvin himself is well on his way to following in Ken's footsteps too.

My best advice at this stage would be similar to everyone else's, but as an alternative to "no cheats", you can also try taking the approach of simply "eating right all the time". After all, who's got time to be even *thinking* about doing it wrong?

Over time you'll learn more what you can can and can't eat, and by focusing on what you can eat, you'll simply forget about what you can't. Learn how to read food labels, surround yourself with only good options at home, be fussy when you go out, and before long it will all become a habit.

But ultimately - if you're anything like me - what will really keep you going is the results. Don't watch the scales *too* closely, but take pride in each pound that comes off, and know that the next one is just a matter of you doing more of the same.

Good luck.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-16, 07:02

BF:
Progress:

Wow, thank you all for the wonderful tips and suggestions - I definitely will not take them for granted and will use them in my journey. My focus will definitely be one day at a time, and I will try not to look the scales too much (I could get OCD about that!)

Today will be my first "test". We have a 5 year celebration for a co-worker and the boss is ordering "Chips and Queso" from Qdoba downstairs. I made a special trip to the grocery store last night, so I have pork rinds JUST IN CASE I'm tempted. Going to look up the Queso carbs, but I'm think I'll be fine if I just avoid the kitchen.

I'm beginning to feel the dreaded "induction flu", but I know it will pass and I will begin to feel great soon!

Thanks again for all the support and I will continue to be active in this forum

Rick
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-16, 07:36
Boldly going...

Hey as for the dreaded "induction flu", I have found that if you eat a lot of fat....I mean, don't skimp at all(!), it helps a lot. Also drinking lots of water, and making sure you're salting your food, (more than normal), and also maybe taking a potassium and a magnesium supplement (or at least make sure you're taking a multi that contains those), it can help.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-16, 07:54

Plan: Atkins72, mostly
Stats: 294/178.6/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Welcome Rick! I started at close to 300 pounds myself around 18 months ago and am down to around 180 and counting with SOO many improvements in my health and mobility. If I can do it, anyone can!

I am going to add to the "no cheats" theme laid out by everyone on this thread-- It has helped me immensely to think of sugar and processed carbs as damaging, inflammatory poison and to avoid them like the plague they are (to me and my health/weigh control, at least). If I am hungry I eat more protein and fat-- there is absolutely No reason to return to my previous carb-laden ways because I dont need to be hungry. Ever. if I have days or weeks or months when I DONT show an overall loss of weight, thats OK, as long as I am not gaining, and as long as I am healthy and feeling so well.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-16, 07:58
Boldly going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himadri
Welcome Rick! I started at close to 300 pounds myself around 18 months ago and am down to around 180 and counting with SOO many improvements in my health and mobility. If I can do it, anyone can!

I am going to add to the "no cheats" theme laid out by everyone on this thread-- It has helped me immensely to think of sugar and processed carbs as damaging, inflammatory poison and to avoid them like the plague they are (to me and my health/weigh control, at least). If I am hungry I eat more protein and fat-- there is absolutely No reason to return to my previous carb-laden ways because I dont need to be hungry. Ever. if I have days or weeks or months when I DONT show an overall loss of weight, thats OK, as long as I am not gaining, and as long as I am healthy and feeling so well.

Hey, great progress Himadri, and also great point on considering sugar and processed carbs as poison! I have done that in the past, and it has been helpful. Now, I just feel myself getting healthier and healthier and that helps me not crave and think about them.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-16, 08:10

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely drinking all the water I can and I'll see what extra fat I can intake today. Overall I just feel malaise ... can't pin down what's wrong, but just tired and run down. I'm sure that will go away soon.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-16, 08:16

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMarvin
and also great point on considering sugar and processed carbs as poison!

I went beyond that - I considered them evil. When I first went lc the grocery I go to had a sale on potato chips - one of my favorite binge foods. The sale display was right in front - literally the first thing I saw walking in. I started mentally drawing devil horns, evil grins, & tails on those bags. It worked.