Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 12:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Protein Powder and Glutamine

I finally got some Glutamine and Protein Powder. Just wondering how much and when everyone takes it?

Also.. which is better: Soya Protein or Whey Protein? I got the Soya because it had a zero carb count and the Whey protein was quite high if I remember right?

What does everyone put in their "Shake"?

Any advise is appreciated as this is something completely new for me.

Akiwican
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 16:02

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default protein and glutamine

Everyone is different with their glutamine ... I take 20 grams of it immediately following my weight training, along with 10 tablets of BCAA's and 2 anti-oxidant tablets.

About a half hour later (when I get home from the gym), I have a big ol' protein shake.

An hour and a half after that (unless I get humgry sooner) I have my dinner.

An hour and a half after that, I have another protein shake.

Before I go to bed, I take another 10g of L-glutamine and 4 caps of ZMA.

Regarding which is a better protein, they each have their ups and downs, but surpisingly soy ISOLATE is a superior protein. Whey is still very good, but if you look at the amino acid profiles and digestability, and factor in health benefits soy is better.

I still take a mix of proteins though. It is known that no one protein is vastly superior to the other.

If you want to get REALLY into it, whey BY ITSELF is best used only after a workout and first thing in the morning due to its rapid absorbtion rate.

During the day as a meal replacement, you are better off with a slower absorbing protein source so that it will release slowly into the bloodstream, ensuring that you will always stay in a state of positive nitrogen balance.