Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 16:41

Plan: low carb
Stats: 181.5/181.5/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress:
Default Help

Hello. I have been doing WW on and off the last 2 years and want to switch to Lowcarb.
If anyone has any info they can send me I would appreciate it.
I plan to buy a book this weekend, but I am just wondering what everyone eats.

my email is- hharper123~yahoo.com
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 22:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 508.7/413.3/199 Female 5'10" (top weight 508???)
BF:223chol; 120/80bp
Progress: 31%

I've been reading Atkins' DANDR for a few years now and still find 'new' things in it when I dip back in to refresh my memory. Right now I'm mostly excited about green carbs, the idea of so many nutrients being available in wilted greens that I cook up in a bit of water and have ready to eat in the fridge. Great eating! When I started LC, I was eating cheese daily. No more of that. Now I use cheese as a treat. And what a treat it is! Stinky is my favorite 'flavor' of cheese. Try a lot of cheeses, as Atkins says to do. Wake up your cheese nose to appreciate all the fine kinds of cheeses that are available.

WW is a great plan. I think you will find the shift to LC not a difficult one, as you steer toward brilliant colors in veggies and away from WHITE PHOOD and processed phood. Eat things that have no label, as most UNprocessed food has no labels to tell all the multi-syllable stuff that is wrapped in the plastic wrapper or boxed in cardboard. Eat food that comes as natural as nature made it. My best days are the days when most of my 20grams of carbs are leafy greens, savory buttery sauces flavored with a bit of absolutely stinky cheese, lots of garlic, some protein. I use FitDay.com to test out my menu, to make sure I'm in ratio that fits Dr.Atkins' plan: 75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carb is what it takes to turn into a fat-burning machine! Oh, I love it! -Zer (who figures this site has a list somewhere of LC foods, right?)
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 04:55

Plan: low carb
Stats: 181.5/181.5/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress:

thanks ZER. About how many carbs do you eat in a day, and what do your typical days look like?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 05:31

Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5 feet 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 53%

Sounds like you might want to try Atkins. If so, go to my PLANS on the top green bar on the Home Page, click on Atkins Plan, scroll down to HOME PAGE, click on that and that will take you to the Atkins Advantage site and then you'll have to click on a few more buttons to get to the list of acceptable foods and how to do Atkins. Generally, you'd eat 20 grams of good carbs/ day during induction. A typical menu might be a omelet w/ spinach for breakfast, a nice salad with real dressing like Ranch (stay away from the 'orange' ones (French, Catalina) which are full of sugar--read the labels) and meat, perhaps chix. on the salad. Supper is any pure meat cooked anyway you want, a nice dose of veggies and a salad. Eat til you're satisfied and not stuffed. According to your weight, you should probably drink around 90 oz. of water/day. I'm at 190 myself, I'd be glad to email you with more info and be an email buddy. I'll email you later. Mine is cdalberto~diisd.org Good luck in whatever plan you decide to follow. I started out reading the book How I Gave up My Low-Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds by Dana Carpender. It explains how and why lowcarbing works and explains about 10 diff. plans and how to do them (Atkins, South Beach, Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, etc.). It's easy reading, fun and funny reading, too. I got it used from Amazon at a cheap price. Email me if you want an accountability buddy. Carol
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 05:47
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

This is my favorite low carb book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...5Fencoding=UTF8

You can pay $7 new or $.30 (30 cents) plus shipping for used. Make sure you get the second edition (it says Updated and Revised at the top).
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 06:25

Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5 feet 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hey, Kebaldwin.....I just bought this book for 22 cents! PLUS...I bought Dana Carpender's book 15-Min. Lowcarb Recipes (or something like that) PLUS...one of George Stella's cookbooks. Thanks!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 06:31
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuda
Hey, Kebaldwin.....I just bought this book for 22 cents! PLUS...I bought Dana Carpender's book 15-Min. Lowcarb Recipes (or something like that) PLUS...one of George Stella's cookbooks. Thanks!!

That is the great thing about low carbing not being "cool" right now. The shipping costs more than the price of the book!

The bad news is that new books are not being written. Most of my books are five years old and a lot of research has changed since then.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-06, 03:11
Registered Member

Default I'm aiming for 20grams of veggie carbs a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bethinhh
thanks ZER. About how many carbs do you eat in a day, and what do your typical days look like?
I aim to do most of my carbs as veggie carbs, mostly buttery cooked greens and brilliant colors to make my small plate look like a painter's palette. Portion control is an issue with me, so a smaller plate helps, as does serving myself and putting away the food that I'm not planning to eat. If it sits in front of me, I'll whittle away at it and overdo. Snax every few hours. Mostly protein-fat works best but I do depend on my big green olives as a sure-fire answer to almost any crave. By the time I've gnawed all the olive off an olive pit, I'm sane again, able to hang on until a proper mealtime. Okay, sometimes it takes two olives!

I really like eggs. Gently scrambled buttery eggs are good any time of day for me, with or without meat. I'm not as keen on bacon/sausage as I was in the beginning. Seems too salty for me, as my taste buds have changed. I do a plate of deviled eggs or a pot of egg salad to nosh on. Sometimes a bite will help to steady me as I start to prepare a meal, if I've gotten too hungry. Just a bite of protein-fat seems to stabilize me nicely. I'm getting pretty good too about having some cooked greens on hand, as they taste great cold or hot.

My day is not as well structured as I'd like, but I find that having plenty of LC snax on hand helps me resist the urge to take "just one bite" of something I'll regret, something that will throw me into a craving mode of thinking.

Oh, when I do eat something that is not quite right, I know that I can correct things and get right back on the Atkins wagon, with my very next bite! -Zer (who avoids alternative sweeteners, which cost a gram a packet and ought to be limited to three packets a day according to what I read in Atkins' DANDR)
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-06, 03:16
Registered Member

Speaking of taste buds changing, I've started using the tiny colorful red-orange sweet peppers as a dessert treat. They are sooooo sweet and crunchy. The small size is just right for a bite to finish off a meal. I gave up buying the full-size peppers as they went all wilty as I pared off bits day after day. Ugh! -Zer