Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:20
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Question Difficulties in this area as well

Very much like the last thread I have been having issues with muscle fatigue and long term injuries to my muscles. I know I've been getting enough protein , and I take a one a day vitamin(which I believe has magnesium), chromium, and get enough water (between 66 and 120 oz. a day).

What else can I do, it seems my muscles are recovering from work-outs very slowly, is this a common side-effect of protein diets. This is what I've assumed and continue to steamroll through. . .

Mike
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:26

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Are you eating some protein w/in 45 minutes of working out? Something like a protein shake or a hard boiled egg would be perfect. Also, here's a link to something I discovered when I began conditioning 7 weeks ago....

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=17555

A magnesium supplement wouldnt hurt as most of us are defficient. It is magnesium that controls the fate of potassium and calcium in the body. If magnesium is insufficient potassium and calcium will be lost in the urine and calcium will be deposited in the soft tissues (kidneys, arteries, joints, brain, etc.) FYI, The RDA for Mag is 400 - 420 mg day (depending on age) and chelated is best.

I'm just assuming here that you're drinking your water.

Cheers,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:35
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Good Points

I read about the magnesium in the prior thread, but believe that I am getting enough - through my multi-vitamin - and I do drink plenty of water.

I don't eat within three hours of exercising though. . . that could be a point. I thought it was best to exercise on an empty stomach on low carb plans because the idea was to force the muscles to go somewhere besides the stomach for fuel.

Mike

I will check out the link you gave me as well. (GRIN)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:39

BF:
Default Re: Good Points

Quote:
Originally posted by Crowis
I don't eat within three hours of exercising though. . . that could be a point. I thought it was best to exercise on an empty stomach on low carb plans because the idea was to force the muscles to go somewhere besides the stomach for fuel.

Sorry, I phrased that incorrectly (me, the grammarian!) "Are you eating some protein w/in 45 minutes AFTER you workout" I too exercise on an empty stomach for the same said fat burning benefits.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:50
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Protein

I try to eat within an hour of working out. . . try to get some protein in me. . .typically beef jerky (oh Boy Oberto - lowest carb on the market that I've found).

I also noted on one of your posts you mentioned that your weight times ten is the minimum calories you should eat in a day. . . fifteen hundred tends to fill me up though and that's been my limit (excepting Fridays) since I started. Could this also be having an effect?

Mike
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:54

BF:
Default Re: Protein

Quote:
I also noted on one of your posts you mentioned that your weight times ten is the minimum calories you should eat in a day. . . fifteen hundred tends to fill me up though and that's been my limit (excepting Fridays) since I started. Could this also be having an effect?

It is likely having an effect somewhere. 10 to 12 times is the base (BMR), it doesnt take into account 45 minutes of rigorous exercise And I know what you mean about feeling quite content with 1500 calories. I have to remember to use more butter, mayo, throwing in some flaxoil etc. But as evidence by my feeding frenzy this weekend, it does work *lol* Have you checked out Fitday ? They have an activities section that breaks down where your calories are being expended (activities, lifestyle, basal metabolic rate). It's quite educational.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 14:01
Registered Member

BF:
Unhappy BMR?

Isn't the idea of dieting (even low carb dieting) to shoot below your BMR to ensure weight loss. Even with the metabolic advantage protein diets give you, most people don't show a lot of success unless they also cut calories.

Mike
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 14:14

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default BMR

Hi Mike -

I believe you want to find a balance between somewhat less calories, but not so few that your body goes into "starvation mode" and starts holding onto fat. That's what the 10-12x rule is about. So if you consume 10-12x then you are covering your caloric needs but are still below the actual number of calories you expend - particularly when you factor in your 45 minute workout and any other activity beyond just existing!

Also, a calorie is not a calorie - your body uses fat calories differently from carb calories or protein calories which is why Nat was talking about finding ways to add in extra fats.

Clear as mud?!?

Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 19:37

BF:
Default Re: BMR?

Quote:
Isn't the idea of dieting (even low carb dieting) to shoot below your BMR to ensure weight loss. Even with the metabolic advantage protein diets give you, most people don't show a lot of success unless they also cut calories.

Diets, maybe, but that's not what this is If you take into account that most people have been following low fat / calorie restricted diets for years eating up to their BMR is usually a difficult task. My BMR is 1700 calories. Remember, BMR doenst account for lifestyle or for the activities I do. (And I do quite a few ) Trying to eat 10 times your body weight will ensure that you do not end up in starvation mode, as Lisa said. I in fact lose better if I eat around 2000 calories. And I feel so much better than I did before. Now all those things that weren't being taken care of by my system because I existed on 1000 calories a day are getting done. And I'm losing weight. If I fall below 1500 cals my loss slows down. Bottom line, at least for me, is that BMR has to be satisfied for everything else to happen. There is a great thread about this in the daily low carber Take a peak.

Nat
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 21:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, BodyOpus
Stats: 222/184/184
BF:

Hi Mike,
Recovery is a common problem. Here are a few points to consider: -

As Nat said, have protein after your workout. I find that a good quality whey protein power is the best. EAS's simply protein has a reasonable carb content and has a good mix of WPC and WPI.

Vitamins and minerals are critically important. You mentioned magnesium. Look for a supplement called ZMA (mix of zinc and magnesium). This has shown to have positive effects on anabolism and recovery. Both multi-vitamins and minerals are a good idea. And lots of Vitamin C.

Do you sleep enough? And how often do you train? Try to aim for 8 hours atleast. Most people don't recover adequately if they train the same muscle group more than once per week.

The amount of calories are also important. Don't eat too few! You may want to try MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) oil as an additional source of energy. This oil in quite popular with athletes who do cyclical ketogenic diets.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 05:01

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default yes ...

Lots of good info given in this topic.

MCT's are a good alternate fuel source and a way to get extra calories ... And a potassium supplement as well as a ZMA supplement (taken before bed) will help with your recovery.

Regarding dropping below BMR for weight loss, that is exactly how most people enter that downward spiral of slowing down their metabolism to a point where their body won't allow them to lose anymore weight (starvation mode) ... I will post an article I have regarding this phenomenon (called "set point theory").

The trick is to find what range your body loses in (above BMR), and increasing activity to cause a calorie defecit. Never drop below BMR (it's called Basal for a reason ... it's the minimum your body needs to function daily)
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 10:01
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Thanks for your great advice!

I appreciate all of your advice. It's hard to find people who know as much about the pitfalls of protein dieting than the people here.

I do have a couple of questions though. Firstly, How much weight do you guys lose in an average week? I'm not asking that question to be a jerk, but I'm just curious. I lose between 2 and 4 pounds a week, which considering my still nearly fifty pounds of overweightness. . . I think is a good amount.

I will admit that 1500 calories seems very minimal but I have yet to stall out for more than a week at a time (and that only on two different occasions). But keep in mind that I also calorie cheat big-time on Fridays consuming up to 4000 or slightly more calories on that day (typically go to the outback for a big (atkins approved) dinner. Doesn't that shunt off my bodies starvation switch?

To answer a previous question, I work out 4 times a week (Tae Kwon Do) every week for about 45 mins.

Finally, where is the best place to buy some of the minerals that have been talked about in this thread? Currently I'm only taking chromium picolinate and a one a day vitamin (easy to find at your local Rite Aid .

Thanks again,

Mike
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 10:11

BF:
Default Re: Thanks for your great advice!

Quote:
Firstly, How much weight do you guys lose in an average week? I lose between 2 and 4 pounds a week, which considering my still nearly fifty pounds of overweightness. . . I think is a good amount.

That's about right. I lose 3 to 4 lbs a week still (everyone tells me this will end, but it hasnt yet). It's best to think in terms of percentages though, there's a good discussion going on right now in Daily about this.

Quote:
I will admit that 1500 calories seems very minimal but I have yet to stall out for more than a week at a time (and that only on two different occasions). But keep in mind that I also calorie cheat big-time on Fridays consuming up to 4000 or slightly more calories on that day (typically go to the outback for a big (atkins approved) dinner. Doesn't that shunt off my bodies starvation switch?

I'd say that confuses your body and keeps it from adapting, which works as well. The question is, when you reach goal will you sustain this?

Quote:
Finally, where is the best place to buy some of the minerals that have been talked about in this thread

I get mine at wal-mart or a nutrition house, which ever has them on sale For things like MCT you'll have to visist a nutrition store I'd imagine. I think I may just check that out as well. Always nice to learn something new.

Nat
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 10:20
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Supplements

Thanks for the advice, I will run down to my local Wally-mart and see if they can hook me up.

I will check out the discussion on the daily, and thanks again for everything Nat. . . you the man. . . or. . . well . . .um. . woman.

GRIN

Mike