Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 06:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default plateaus

I seem to be stuck! I followed Atkin's induction diet for the 2 weeks and lost the initial 7 pounds (probably mostly water), then I got stuck. The ketostix turned pink one day (boy was I excited!), but the remainder of the time were neutral. I tried the 'fat fast' for 3 days and lost one pound (the stix turned pink again one day). I have been stuck ever since. I have been walking for 30 mins. each day for six weeks and started weights 3 days per week one week ago. I have tried most of the suggestions I have found on the internet to try to break the plateau: eat more fat, eat more calories, eat less calories, take more vitamin supplements, take cayenne supplements, excercise more, drink more water, etc., but nothing seems to work. I am still eating 20 or fewer carbs per day. Can anyone suggest something more to try?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 07:28
Registered Member

Plan: Modified for women induction between 10-15 gms per day
Stats: 135/135/120
BF:
Progress:

Hi Peg,

When I first went on this diet I lost 30 lbs the first three months and you know those sticks almost NEVER said pink so don't judge completely on that fact.

I would also sugest that you post what you are eating on this site to see if you have hidden carbs somewhere.

Good luck,
Dalene
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 10:42
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum Peg!

Are you eating low carb bars, a lot of processed meats, low-carb substitutes for high carb products, nuts, diet drinks or high fat dairy products? Are you drinking lots of water?

Take Dalene's suggestion and post what you've been eating in the Journal/Bootcamp section of the forum. It's hard to give you recommendations if we don't know what you're eating.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 17:51

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi peg! i just wanted to welcome you aboard! plateaus are a normal part of weight loss. i didn't realize it the first time i lowcarbed. i felt like i was out of the loop! my keto stix never went higher than the second pink! most of the time they were neutral! i went down a size though! i was doing something right! don't you love eating this way! just stick with it! take your measurements or use a pair of skinny pants to judge your weightloss! sometimes the scale won't reflect what we're really losing. just hang in there, okay!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-01, 11:30

Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default food diary

I took your advice and posted a food diary in the Journal -- please suggest any changes you think I should make. I am thinking about doing the 'fat fast' again for 3 days to see if it will shake me off the plateau. I am probably impatient, but I have a friend who is having such an easy time losing -- she dropped 30 pounds in no time and does not limit her carbs nearly as much as I do. That makes it very frustrating for me to watch her 'melt' while I am stuck, but I am determined to keep trying. I really appreciate your support and suggestions.

Thanks,

Peg