Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-07, 09:11
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%
Default Answer from "the man," himself, regarding protein:

I finally decided to ask Dr Eades about the protein-to-glucose thing, how much protein is too much for weight loss, etc.

Here's the answer I got from him:

Hi Elle–

I guess I need to do a post on this subject that I can refer back to because I’m asked this question constantly…and the question is always prefaced by “there is a lot of discussion about this on various low-carb BBs… You do not convert dietary protein into sugar unless a) you’re a type I diabetic or b) you aren’t getting enough glucose and the body needs to make more. If you’re on a low-carb diet you are not getting enough carbs to meet the body’s demand so some of the protein you eat is converted to glucose. But just enough to keep your blood sugar where it is supposed to be. Extra protein doesn’t automatically convert to sugar if your blood sugar level is where it is supposed to be.

So, the take home message is: don’t worry about protein converting to sugar. Eat as much as you want.

Cheers–

MRE

What a relief!! I'm now going to start eating as much protein as I want...and it's a hell of a lot more than 81 grams per day!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-07, 11:38
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Elle, what a great post. Thanks for that! I've always felt limiting myself wasn't working and it's good to finally hear it from the source.

P.S. Thanks so much for stopping by my journal. I just put a huge post there today. I'm sorry I'm not around as much, but thanks for thinking of me - you're on my mind too! <hugs>
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-07, 17:35

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I also asked this question!!! I guess he does need to blog on the subject.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-07, 17:45
Registered Member

What did he reply to you, CindySue?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-07, 17:48

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

If extra protein is not converted to sugar, what is it converted to...fat?...which would be stored in the liver, or elsewhere?

I will find the answer....

From Wikipedia: Excess protein consumption

Because the body is unable to store it, excess protein is broken down and converted into sugars or fatty acids. The liver removes nitrogen from the amino acids, so that they can be burned as fuel, and the nitrogen is incorporated into urea, the substance that is excreted by the kidneys. These organs can normally cope with any extra workload but if kidney disease occurs, a decrease in protein will often be prescribed. [My note: just drink lots of water.]

Excessive protein intake may also cause the body to lose calcium, which could lead to bone loss in the long-term. However, many protein powders, for instance, come supplemented with various amounts of calcium per serving size so as to counteract the calcium-loss effect.

Some suspect excessive protein intake is linked to several problems:

* Overreaction within the immune system
* Liver dysfunction due to increased toxic residues
* Loss of bone density, frailty of bones is due to calcium and glutamine being leached from bone and muscle tissue to balance increased acid intake from diet (blood pH is maintained at around 7.4). This effect is not present if intake of alkaline minerals (from fruits and vegetables, cereals are acidic as are proteins, fats are neutral) is high. In such cases, protein intake is anabolic to bone.

Many researchers think excessive intake of protein forces increased calcium excretion. If there is to be excessive intake of protein, it is thought that a regular intake of calcium would be able to stabilize, or even increase the uptake of calcium by the small intestine, which would be more beneficial in older women.

So, eat protein, drink a lot of water, eat a lot of vegetables and take some calcium.

Last edited by locarbbarb : Tue, Oct-09-07 at 18:19.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-07, 13:57

Plan: induction
Stats: 330/325/230 Male 75
BF:
Progress: 5%

Thanks. Great info for all of us.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-07, 15:13
Registered Member

It could be that in the presence of excess insulin, that protein is converted to sugar or fat, but we have to keep in mind that what happens in the presence of insulin, does not neccesarily happen in a low insulin state. Fat is a perfect example of that. We all know that excess fat is immediately and without conversion stored as fat in the presence of high insulin, however in low insulin, it is not.

That wikipedia answer, I'd be willing to bet, is pertaining to a high insulin state, such as the normal diet would be. Wikepedia is not my go-to source for information.

I did pose that question to him in his blog, what happens to the excess protein, and the funny thing is, he answered every question posted yesterday...except mine. It still shows waiting for moderation. I think he musta missed it.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-07, 15:21

Plan: Flexible
Stats: 175/153/140 Female 66.5"
BF:yes
Progress: 63%

I'm glad I saw this thread. The idea that up to 50% of protein we eat is converted to glucose is one of those myths that I see thrown around a lot. I've been afraid to eat "too much" protein, but I'm not always feeling full, and I don't want to limit calories too much cause that's gotten me in trouble before. I've tried adding extra calories of fat, while still keeping carbs and protein low, but it hasn't worked well for me.

I'm anxious to see Mike's response, Elle.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-07, 19:34

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

Quote:
from Elle: That wikipedia answer, I'd be willing to bet, is pertaining to a high insulin state, such as the normal diet would be.
I don't know what state of insulin they were thinking of. I found several sites that were prejudiced against "more than the 'recommended' amounts of protein."

I didn't put links to them, because they seemed so alarmist. Wikipedia seemed the most neutral.

From what I've seen on this forum, when you eat what you really want, whether it be more fat, more protein, or even more carbs as per each individual, the weight comes off! Combine that with a calorie deficit, of course.

We are all different in that regard, and what works for one person might not work for another. If you are satisfied, meaning feeling sated, with what you're eating, you will stay on your plan. The feeling to over-indulge will leave, and the weight loss will follow.

Ya gotta eat what ya gotta eat!

I wouldn't wait for anyone to tell me what to eat, really. I'd just try it, and see how I feel. Elle, don't be afraid. If you want more protein, go ahead. I suppose the worst that could happen is that you won't lose weight, or you might even gain a pound. You might lose weight, or you might find that you really don't want all that protein, after all. Or you might just want more on occasion.

At least you'll have found out for yourself, and you can adjust things accordingly. Your body will tell you when you've found the right amount. Have faith!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-07, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
What did he reply to you, CindySue?
Yep...and I posted it to my team.

I'm on SparkPeople and have a team for women over 50 and low carb. There are several members that are either diabetic or pre-diabetic, and they all have been warned about eating too much protein. Not due to the "strain on kidneys" but because of blood glucose levels.

Dr Mike has always answered my questions....and almost always makes a comment to my non-question comments.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-07, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
I think he musta missed it.
It could be lost, but more likely he is going to either post a long reply or even do a post on it. He mentioned in a recent post that there were some comments he was going to keep until he could give a proper response.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 04:47
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharmalisa
The idea that up to 50% of protein we eat is converted to glucose is one of those myths that I see thrown around a lot.
Just to clarify, protein can be converted to glucose--58% of it. That part is not a myth:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eades in Elle's 1st post
You do not convert dietary protein into sugar unless a) you’re a type I diabetic or b) you aren’t getting enough glucose and the body needs to make more. If you’re on a low-carb diet you are not getting enough carbs to meet the body’s demand so some of the protein you eat is converted to glucose.
Not a problem--it's part of the adaptations your body makes to low carbing.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 08:37
Registered Member

What is so magic about 58%, that's the part I don't get?

Anyway, I think the reason I'm "afraid" to eat as much protein as I "want" isn't b/c I'm afraid of the effects. Dr A talked about people in his first book that ate pounds of meat a day and had no problems. And these were not weightlifters or big-time exercisers or manual laborers...they were regular people with big appetites.

I'm "afraid" to eat as much as I "want" b/c of the first time I tried Atkins back in the mid 90's. I ate 2 ounces of protein for breakfast, then 8 ounces for lunch and 8 for dinner. Plus a small salad for lunch and dinner. I lost a lot of water weight initially, but then nothing after that for weeks and weeks.

I started losing once I switched to PP and stuck religiously to my protein minimum, despite lots of hunger. I was better able to deal with hunger back then, for some reason.

But what I have to remember is that I weighed less "then" than I do "now!"

If I could eat 18 ounces of protein per day and get back to 130 or 135 (what I weighed then) or even 140 (what I would settle for now), I would consider that a success.

So I guess I should try it.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 09:07

Plan: Flexible
Stats: 175/153/140 Female 66.5"
BF:yes
Progress: 63%

Elle you and I have similar stats. How tall are you?? I want to get to 140 and am really struggling. I got down to 136 last year by eating 900 calories a day for 3 months. Then all h3ll broke loose. Hair fell out, hormones went berserk, had insomnia, anxiety, etc etc. So I gained back almost all I had lost over the next 3 months. Now, I can't seem to lose.

I'm reading "Good Calories, Bad Calories", and the studies he brings up indicate that people lose the most weight when they restrict carbs, but eat protein and fat to satiety. I'd love to think that would work for me, but I too am afraid to try it. I'm counting calories right now, and am only down one pound in 2 weeks eating an average of 1500 a day. Which is considered low calorie. But hey, I really don't have anything to lose by trying. What I'm doing isn't exactly working, although I probably haven't given it near enough time yet.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 13:35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
Yep...and I posted it to my team.

I'm on SparkPeople and have a team for women over 50 and low carb. There are several members that are either diabetic or pre-diabetic, and they all have been warned about eating too much protein. Not due to the "strain on kidneys" but because of blood glucose levels.

Dr Mike has always answered my questions....and almost always makes a comment to my non-question comments.

Well, what did he say???? He still hasn't answered.