Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-15, 17:45

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

I know its been quite a while since someone posted on this thread, but its soooo relevant to me right now. I can't figure out if I should start donating some of my clothes, and start shopping, or they still look ok. I've lost 40, but my middle is not smaller yet.

I usually just throw something on, but I'm just three pounds until I reach a weight I haven't been since 1998, and I really want to wear something new!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-15, 18:18

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Well rule 1 is if you're a woman shopping in the USA you cannot go into a store and buy a piece of clothing without trying it on and expect it to fit. It might fit in the same way the ball might land on the number you bet on at the roulette table, but there's just as much chance it won't fit even if the size on the tag is the exact same size as the clothes you're currently wearing. This is because there is no standardization of sizes, and there's this thing called "vanity sizing".

Outside of that, different styles of clothing will look different when worn depending on the person's body shape, and the clothing can also make your body look different to a certain degree by emphasizing or de-emphasizing parts. That's an example of what your daughter said about the baggy pants making you look bigger.
When it comes to discovering what is or isn't flattering on your specific body you really just have to try things on and see.
The same is true for what colors look good on you.
There's really no trick to it other than that.

Also, pick and choose which trends you follow. Just because rompers are 'in' doesn't mean every person should be wearing one (in fact, in my opinion no one over the age of 5 should be wearing a romper!).
That's not to say you want to be wearing leg warmers in 2015 because they supposedly look so great on you, but simple styles can work in any era. For example, jeans. Yeah, skinny jeans have been all the rage for a few years now, but they look awful on me I usually go for bootcut instead.

Last edited by s-piper : Sun, Mar-08-15 at 19:25.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-15, 18:37
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelanau
I know its been quite a while since someone posted on this thread, but its soooo relevant to me right now. I can't figure out if I should start donating some of my clothes, and start shopping, or they still look ok. I've lost 40, but my middle is not smaller yet.

I usually just throw something on, but I'm just three pounds until I reach a weight I haven't been since 1998, and I really want to wear something new!
Take a friend with you who will tell you the truth about what you're trying on...just like S Piper said, you've gotta try clothes on because different brands/styles etc dictate the size.

My dds take me shopping when I go visit them and they are always honest with me. Actually they've made me buy things I wouldn't have thought to wear because in my mind's eye I'm still "Fat Jo".

I like the idea that you're going to donate the stuff that gets too big for you... I used to box my fat clothes up, giving myself permission to go off plan and regain the weight That was stupid...but NOT this time around. As soon as something got too big, I gave it away to my favorite charity thrift store. My best friend now wears a size 4 and used to wear size 1-2 so we've traded clothes... she has impeccable taste!

Some thrift stores have very nice clothing very expensively priced, that's a good place to get your "right size" clothing for now and then buy smaller sizes as you need them...it will save you money on your journey to a skinnier you!

Wishing you continued success on your journey!

Onward, ↓ DOWNWARD & MAINTENANCE 4ever!

Jo

Hi! My name is Jo and I’m a recovering morbidly obese carb addict!

Last edited by Just Jo : Sun, Mar-08-15 at 18:39. Reason: More to say of course!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-15, 08:21

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

I seem to have a knack for picking what looks good on me. It seems foreign to me NOT to know how to dress. I guess it's a skill like everything else. If you don't know, or are unsure, asking is the best way to find out.

I've always been into fashion though. For jeans or pants, I absolutely MUST have a mid or high rise or I have that tire around my middle (I'm an apple shape). Leg style doesn't matter because I have long legs - 33" inseam - and have rather shapely legs even for my size. I look better with slightly longer length shirts, with a flowing or empire design (or straight fit) and I almost always go for a 3/4 length sleeve over short and something with an open/lower neck. I have good cleavage so I show it off. Tanks layered under blouses, jackets, hoodies, or cardigans are also a staple for me.

I never choose hip huggers, shorts shorter than bermuda length, nothing with a sheer or open back (rolls are a problem), peplum shirts (though I love them) or shirts with a drawstring or belted waist (unless I control the location of the belt, wearing it higher). This is because it hits me right in the middle of my belly roll and look TERRIBLE. I also don't do pencil skirts because my 'bumpy' front, even in spanks, which I wear fairly consistently.

Last, I wear heels almost all the time - boots, shoes or sandals even though I'm almost 5'10". I don't care, I'm an amazon in them, they make me feel good. Even when my knee is hurting, I suck it up.

I shop thrift, new online, outlet, and belong to a couple local plus-sized clothing groups on Facebook. It helps fill in my wardrobe as I'm dropping weight without breaking my wallet.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-15, 10:13

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

Could you share the names of the Facebook groups you 'shop'? I was just at the Goodwill and struck out. There just aren't that many thrifts around here, and I'm not willing to dump tons of money into clothes that aren't going to be around a year.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-15, 04:47

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

Sure, though mine is local - I'm in Kingston, Ontario, Canada and it's called KINGSTON AND AREA PLUS SIZED CLOTHING. You can post items for sale OR buy what others are posting. The ladies around my area are very good, most will let you try on before you take it (as they would like to do if they were buying). You can also post if you are looking for something, like a special event dress or a winter jacket, and people who have that item respond in kind. It's a great group with around 700 members so a lot of variety of sizes and styles available.