Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 08:15

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 160/130/116 Female 61 inches - 5ft 1"
BF:32.8/19/15
Progress: 68%
Default Muscle cannabilisation??

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=424929

I read the above, and wondered if i was cannabilising my muscles and is this why I am only losing 1 pound every 2 weeks?

so you have the full picture,

Food wise i eat 70% fat 25% protein and 5% carbs, my carbs are under 25g a day. I eat approx 1000 calories a day, I am not that hungry and have tried eating more, but im just not hungry.

exercise wise,
Monday 30 minute spin, 2 mile outdoor run, 20-30 mins on abdominals
tuesday, rest day
wednesday 30 mins abdominals, 2 x 50 min spin classes back to back
thursday 1 hour body conditioning or 1 hour body pump and 50 min spin class
friday 1 hours personal training in the morning, mainly working on abdominals and weights on arms. friday evening 2 x 50 min spin classes
saturday 1 hour body conditioning or body pump and 50 minute spin, some times i rest on saturdays, but not often.
sunday rest day.
I follow all exercise with a large portion of protein, usually steak, fried in coconut oil.

so after reading the thread i was left wondering if i was cannabilising my muscle with exercise and if that had anything to do with my minimal weight loss.
I lost 9 pounds the first 2 weeks.
then nothing for 2 weeks, then a 2 pound loss and since then a further pound.
Ive lost 12 pounds since the 7th of January. Although my weight loss is now minimal i am losing inches so know i am burning fat, but could this be at a sacrifice to my muscle?

any advice would be welcomed
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 09:50

Plan: bulking!
Stats: 133/114/120 Female 62 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 146%

IMO? Yeah, you are doing way, way WAY too much cardio for the amount of calories you are consuming. 5 1/2 hours of spin a week along with everything else you're doing? That's, excuse me, nuts.

I'd suggest dropping most or all of the cardio, keeping the weights, and going up on your protein and calories. That will preserve (or even, if you're new to weightlifting and you're lifting hard, increase) your muscle mass while you lose fat.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 10:23

Thanks for the advice. I shall switch some spin classes for body pump ones the next couple of weeks and see if that helps.
I dont want muscles like Arnie Shcwartz tho!! LOL

thanks xxx
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 15:17

Plan: bulking!
Stats: 133/114/120 Female 62 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 146%

Quote:
Originally Posted by peauk
Thanks for the advice. I shall switch some spin classes for body pump ones the next couple of weeks and see if that helps.
I dont want muscles like Arnie Shcwartz tho!! LOL

thanks xxx

Or, you could just take some extra rest Seriously, working out too hard on too few calories is counterproductive. If you want to do that much exercise just because you LIKE to and it makes you feel good, you need to increase the amount of food you eat. Putting your body into too much of a deficit is going to make it want to hold on to every bit of fat it can.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 04:30

I love exercising! I can cut it down and change some of the spins for body pump and add saturday as a no exercise day so there are 3 days a week when i rest. The calorie thing i tried a few weeks ago, i average between 900 - 1200 a day and I am more than full. If I try eat more I just feel sick and bloated as I am forcing food in I dont want. I have started taking coconut oil just to increase my daily calorie intake. I was wondering if it would be worth trying to add the protein shakes to my diet?