Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-13, 00:47

Plan: my own
Stats: 326/274/175 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Pickleball as a cardio workout?

Any mid lifers do this for a workout? I saw it played by young folks and it was pretty intense - and looked like a lot of fun..... But I can't handle intense yet. I figure that most 40 to 60 something's might play at a lesser level?

I have found a place to play, but it looks like a lot of younger folks based on what I can see online.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-13, 22:23

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

Sounds kinda dirty. LOL, what is it?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-13, 09:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! Just googled it. It sounds like a great game.

Quote:
The game started during the summer of 1965 on Bainbridge Island, Washington at the home of then State Representative Joel Pritchard (who, in 1970, was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives for the State of Washington).[citation needed] He and two of his friends, Bill Bell and Barney McCallum, returned from golf and found their families bored one Saturday afternoon. They attempted to set up badminton but no one could find the shuttlecock. They improvised with a whiffle ball, lowered the badminton net, and fabricated paddles of plywood from a nearby shed.

The unusual name of the game originated with Joan Pritchard, who said it reminded her of the "Pickle Boat in crew where oarsmen were chosen from the leftovers of other boats."[2] The popular story told today is that it was named after the family dog. Joan corrected this story in interviews but the story persists. As the story is told, the whiffle ball belonged to the dog. Whenever an errant shot happened, Pickles would run and try to get the ball and hide it. They named the game for their dog’s ball, “Pickles’ Ball”, then it became Pickleball. The truth is the Pritchard family didn't get the dog until 1967,[3] so actually, the dog was named after the sport.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-13, 20:39

Plan: my own
Stats: 326/274/175 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 34%

Yeah, it is really fun.... I went and played. I did fine against people my age, but against the younger crowd I was out of breath... and I mean really out of breath, LOL. I hope to maybe play tomorrow night, again, if the snow doesn't mess up the roads.

Think of it like ping pong, with wooden racquets, using a whiffle ball, on a smaller sized tennis court.

I play on an indoor basketball court with people who belong to meetup.com.

You all should check that site out..... fun groups to join..... here are some things they do:

Dancing
Dog Walking
Card Playing
Book Clubs
Hiking
Karaoke Nights
all kinds of sports, really
business networking
dating - though they just call it socializing, but you know it is about dating

This Saturday night my wife and I are going to see a band called the Chatter Band with them.... mostly an oldies band, but other than us ( we are 51 and 52 ) it looks like most folks will be in their late 20s 0 maybe 40 years old.

Anyway, I have no affiliation with meetup.com other than going to some of their events.

Last edited by papa deuce : Mon, Dec-16-13 at 20:45.