Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-16-04, 08:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/146/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy New, Scared, and Frustrated

I've been doing this diet for about a month and a half and although I've experienced some weight loss, I've gained it all back. I keep cheating. And I'm struggling with just overeating in general, especially nuts, cheese, and peanut butter. I gave up peanut butter. Looking back on everything I feel like I've worked my butt off for a month and a half and have made zero progress and I'm sick of being in induction and I want to eat fruit and I want to give up. At the same time I do want to lose weight so I decided to maybe reach out to some of you people.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-16-04, 18:35
Low Carbing Diva

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/296/250 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

I know Induction is hard. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do as far as losing weight is concered. But what you have to ask yourself is this. What is more important? Do you want to lose this weight or do you want to spend another year complaing about it? Everything that you feel will hinder you needs to get out of that house now! You need to stop thinking in the now. That taste of whatever you have now will destroy any change you have of making your goal. Keep your eyes on your goal. If you feel you're going to overeat drink a glass of water or go for a walk. Do whatever you have to! Because in order to give this your all and your best you can't cheat while you're on induction. Try to complete one day then another until you get done. It's just 14 day/ 2 weeks then you can have some fruit. That's something to look forward to. And you'll be proud of yourself for being able to do it. Remember anything worth having and keeping is going to be hard. If it was easy you and me both would already be where we wan to be .
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-16-04, 18:46

Stats: 180/180.4/160 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: -2%

Hi Steph and a big WELCOME to the forums!

I think you have come to the right place. In the short period that I have been a member here, I have found lots of people that are wonderful and try to help in any way they can. I think I know how you feel because when I started Atkins way back in February of 2002 I was able to reach my goal in about four weeks (a total of 20 lb). But I slacked off and was not too strict (irresponsable) and put it all back and more. So my DW suggested to try to find an online group, since I have done well in the past when I am accountable to somebody or a group. That is how I ended up here about three weeks ago. I have lost about 15 lb so far but I still have a good way to go. In any event, one way to allow other members to interact with you is by creating a Journal. You can post there the meals that you are having and I'm certain that there will be several folks that will be happy to offer their advice. In my case, boredom with the induction choices is what has been difficult. One of the gals that has been really nice is KiwiGal. Let me quote what she sent me, several links to induction recepies. I found really good ones, specially for breakfast (Egg Pizza, Egg Crepes, to name a few.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigal
Hey.. your food choices are looking pretty good!
Check out these links..great ideas and recipes..is your wife eating low carb as well?..if so..maybe you could buy some cookbooks! The Dana Carpender ones are great..500 low carb recipes and 500 more low carb recipes..they are dead easy..hey..you could discover the kitchen..and give her a break
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/menus/pastcj1.shtml
http://atkins.com/food/recipes/phase1recipes.html
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...duction+recipes
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...duction+recipes
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4n46b/lc/index.html
Again, welcome and all the best in this journey.

Latin Guy
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-16-04, 19:12

Stats: 265/173/159 Female 5ft.7inches
BF:
Progress:

Steph,I am new on this forum but not new to Atkins I started on it in April 2003 and I weighed in at 265 possibly more because I did not want to look at the scales the first three days were tough, tough, tough, but after the third day my appetite left and each day I found it easier within 8 months I had lost about 80 and then it just stopped I held on to my loss and a friend of mine introduced me to toning tables and I now use the treadmill everyday and have went on to lose 27 more pounds I had plateaued over a year and I was discouraged, but not discouraged enough to quit when I increased my exercise level the weight once again began to move I would never want to go back to the way I was if it does mean low carbing for life i love the way I feel better than I love the food like one post said there is no easy way I get tired of the fat industry getting rich off desperate people and telling them they can eat what they love and lose weight with a magic pill I found out the hard way that there is none I took the Phen- Phen and it damaged me Atkin's is a good plan I realize I am sensitive to carbohydrates and probably always will be I love sweets but I have given them up I only eat things prepared with splenda and not a lot of that.I hope you can get past what you are feeling it will take determination but you will never regret it if you can hold out a few days ketosis will do it's job I found the cravings left hang in there and give it another try eat stuffed eggs, tuna salad, there are a lot of choices and eay plenty do not deprive yourself of what you can have eat until you are full hope I have helped sign me
weigh down
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-04, 03:14

Stats: 220/161/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:a scarey amount
Progress: 74%

Hello and welcome Steph! Latin Guy has given you some great advice. You CAN do this and I wish you all the best!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-04, 11:41
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

#7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-04, 13:33

Stats: 204/176/140 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Welcome Steph

You have come to the right place. I tried many times to eat LC and never lost much and always gained it back. Read as much as you can and what ever you try give it a couple honest months. It took my body a while to start losing. I lost 3 lbs this week and I have started carb cycling. There is a thread on it, I don't know how to post links

I find Fitday.com to be an excellent tool for me to see my progress. And remember 1-2 lbs per week is very good weight loss. My 3 lbs this week may actually be unhealthy.

I have found friends to chat with, encouragement, advice and recipes galore I hope you'll love it here, and good luck to you!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-04, 13:47

Plan: Atkins...hp/hf
Stats: 333/313.2/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%

ok..i could have sworn i posted here yesterday...lol....geez im losing it!

hey girl...try not to get discouraged! for starters whohooooo for starting a journal! its a fabulous tool full of wondeful people...you will find many friends in here and bookoos of support!

secondly....whooooooo for starting atkins! i know its difficult at first, but if you just hang in there things will get easier! you cannot cheat though silly! quit it! just do a clean induction for 2 whole weeks and you will see....you will be full of energy...sleeping through the night....and NO cravings!! thats one of the best parts of this woe...once you get going it gets easier and easier! you just have to tell yourself that youre doing the very best thing for your body! cheats just hinder your efforts and discourage you anyway...they arent worth it!

i have faith in you hun! you can do this!

cmon by my journal if you need anything ok?

have a great day!

xoxoxox
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-04, 14:57

Stats: 280/196.5/160 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 70%

What wonderful advice you all have shared. I will be starting once again with Atkins within the next couple of weeks. So, will be checking out the stories and posts of people who have had lots of success.
K-
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 14:21

Stats: 286/286/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Welcome. Induction is hard but worth it in the long run. Soon the cravings go away.
Maureen