Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 09:54

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default I know this is an 'oldish' thread, but....

I was just to my dr yesterday (I just changed doctors recently) to get the results of a bunch of bloodwork that was done about 3 weeks ago. I was still feeling a lot of low-thyroid symtoms even though I had been taking Synthroid for many years. This is what he found:

1) My T4 levels & TSH levels were fine (thanx to Synthroid) but my T3 was way off. It was only yesterday that I learned (he drew me a diagram) that the T3 hormone is not measured by the TSH (which the pituitary gland excretes). TSH can only reveal if the thyroid is producing the proper levels of T4 hormone. The T3 hormone only works inside the cells (the cell takes T4, converts it into T3 for use). Synthroid only provides T4. He put me on a dose of Armour Thyroxine to take with my Synthroid in hopes of raising my T3.

2)I was iron deficient (anemic). Low iron can cause cold extremities (as well as mimic other low-thyroid symptoms). Low iron can also inhibit may body functions including the metabolizing of our thyroid hormones.

Hmmm....we'll see how this new treatment works. I get retested in Sept.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 19:29

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 200/186/175 Male 5 ft 11
BF:
Progress:

I just started a diet which is torture for me. For 2 weeks, all I can eat is vegetables, fruit, and some meats. All I can drink is water, no exceptions. No breads, pastas, cereal, or sugar, and no dairy, either. No sugar substitutes. Hardly any carbs. Is this similar to the Atkins diet?

Anyway, I did this diet due to lightheadedness and stomach problems I'vehad for five years just to try to get healthy. While I lost 15 lbs, I have noticed I am very cold now all the time. And my lightheadedness isn't better nor is my fatigue. My stomach is a little less bloated. I am freezing, just like many of you, which is how I found this thread!
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-06, 20:48
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

ace the atkins diet is similar in that it is lowcarb but it includes dairy (cheese, cream, butter) but no fruit at the beginning.

I had to think of dysautonomia from your symptoms, and of course thyroid as well. I found an article that explains dysautonomia, its in a womens section but men get it as well. Many people with thyroid have dysautonomia too.

http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/wo...ysautonomia.htm

In people suffering from dysautonomia, the autonomic nervous system loses that balance, and at various times the parasympathetic or sympathetic systems inappropriately predominate. Symptoms can include frequent, vague but disturbing aches and pains, faintness (or even actual fainting spells), fatigue and inertia, severe anxiety attacks, tachycardia, hypotension, poor exercise tolerance, gastrointestinal symptoms such as irritable bowel syndrome, sweating, dizziness, blurred vision, numbness and tingling, anxiety and (quite understandably), depression.

Sufferers of dysautonomia can experience all these symptoms or just a few of them. They can experience one cluster of symptoms at one time, and another set of symptoms at other times. The symptoms are often fleeting and unpredictable, but on the other hand they can be triggered by specific situations or actions. (Some people have symptoms with exertion, for instance, or when standing up, or after ingesting certain foods.) And since people with dysautonomia are usually normal in every other way, when the doctor does a physical exam he or she often finds no abnormalities.

I have light-headedness and found potassium supplementation helps.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 12:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloom
In the winter my hands and feet go numb quite often , and my feet and hands are like ice blocks in bed at night.

Realizing that this is a VERY old post I had to jump in anyway.

The symptoms you describe here are very similar to Reynaud's disease. I have the same problem. My fingers and toes go white and numb when exposed to cold for any length of time. Reynaud's usually strikes younger women (18-30) - there is treatment but no cure.

Just a thought for all of us freezing people out there.

Julie
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 07:34

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 138/140/150 Male 67
BF:
Progress:
Default shivering through summer

hey read this got it off off a lc'er site Shivering Through the Summer...

by liz pavek

...is a symptom, and is very common in hyperinsulinism/ insulin resistance. It is caused by insufficient glycogen being accepted into the cells to maintain body heat. When you are insulin resistant, your cells either lose or mutate their insulin receptors (probably both), which causes them to refuse the insulin/glycogen loads that arrive from the liver. This condition is known as insulin resistance. The body creates more and more insulin (hyperinsulinism) in answer to the cells' cries for glycogen, and the vicious cycle repeats and repeats: More insulin, fewer receptors, starved cells, cries for glycogen, carbohydrate consumption, more insulin, and on and on. A diet high in carbohydrate and low in protein and fat will yield this phenomenon.

You will know when you are getting sufficient calories, protein, and fat when your fingers warm up, since the body "shuts down" the extremities in order to shunt all possible heat and energy to the brain, heart, lungs, and other internal organs. The thyroid gland is frequently underactive, and a good course of supplementation and therapy can restore function here.

The longer the high-carbohydrate diet continues, the worse the body's resistance to insulin becomes. It becomes hyper-efficient at conserving and storing energy, since the perverted diet deprives it of the proper nutrients. The body interprets this situation as starvation, and goes into "CONSERVE AT ALL COSTS!!" mode, a situation that means that "unimportant" areas of the body, like fingers, toes, nose, and skin, are given very low priority, while every possible calorie of energy is stored as fat to be meted out carefully to maintain brain function, heart/lung action, and core temperature. This produces the unhappy condition of gaining fat while literally slowly starving to death. (Stored body fat does NOT mean that a person is not dying of malnutrition and starvation, if all possible caloric energy is being diverted to produce nothing but more fat.)

As soon as you correct your diet, your body will respond by restoring insulin receptors on the cells. The more receptor sites, the more insulin/glycogen can be admitted, and the more body heat there will be available for skin, fingers, and toes.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 22:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 228/220/145 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

I'm right with you! i thought it was my insulation in my house or something! i already take thyroid med for hypothyriodism never thought about my "chilled to the bone" was stemming from my thyroid. It really makes sence i just wish there was someting we could do about it, like a vitamin or something. Thanks for letting me know i'm not alone.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 12:35

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Dr. Mary Enig's suggestion of eating coconut oil every day and adding the supplements codliver oil and Ca/Mg with Vitamin D, not only raised my temperature to "normal" for the first time in 35 years, but my thyroid levels are now normal too.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 12:51

Plan: general lc
Stats: 262/196.2/175 Female 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

My thyroid has been tested and is fine. Ever since I lost almost 80 lbs back in 2202 I have been freezing. I've since gained back 15 and I am pregnant and still freezing all the time. It drives my husband crazy. Before 2002, I never had a problem being cold that I can remember. It's not like I was skinny even after loosing 80 lbs either.. I still weighed 185 lbs.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-07, 00:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/164/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

I thought it was just me, but after reading that this seems to happening to alot a of people I don't feel like such a freak. I started low-carbing in 2004 and lost 105lbs, and since that time I have been like a walking ice cube. Several layers of clothes, space heater at my desk, even in the middle of Aug, gloves on my hands with the fingers cut out so that I could type. I really thought I was crazy. A friend of mine started the diet a couple of months after I did and lost alot more weight than I did, but does not have any of the same complaints about being cold. I want to thank all of you for your idea of having my thyroid tested, I would have never thought about it. Thank you! I hope that sometime I will have some good advise for one of you.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-07, 01:53
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

Maybe you should read below... when you go on a diet and reduce your calories T3 usually does drop, but TSH and T4 stays normal. Which is fine... if you can put up with feeling a little chilly.

"The researchers found reduced T3 levels -- similar to those seen in animals whose rate of aging is reduced by CR -- only in the people on CR diets. But their serum concentrations of two other hormones -- thyroxin (T4) and thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) -- were normal, indicating that those on CR were not suffering from the thyroid disease of clinical hypothyroidism. The findings are published online in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. "
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...o-cra053106.php

and see this

Cool mice live longer
36.5 °C may be the best body temperature for fighting ageing.
http://www.nature.com/news/2006/061...1030-11_pf.html

Have such a low body temperature is a good thing, if you want to live younger for longer. Same thing has been found in humans who have lower than average body temperature.