Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 16:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Lissame:
I have a couple of suggestions for you.

If you can swing a doc's appointment (don't be shy about calling around and finding a good price) and then try to dicker on the fees at the blood lab too - you would be SURPRISED how they are often willing to help.

OR

Find out if you can be covered through the county health department for those who don't make a lot of money. I know the counties usually have testing for those that qualify for diabetes, so they may have it for things such as thyroid disfunction as well.

Ok- with all that said, after you get tested, you can get your drugs, prescription free from Mexico...right on the web.

Ask the doc to give you an idea of what volume you need for say:
synthroid
or
Armour
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 22:13
Registered Member

Stats: 98/90.5/65 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 23%

I was diagnosed with it when I was 9 years of age and I have struggled with my weight most of my life. I am now 54.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 19:02

Stats: 280/235/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I really appreciate all the wonderful information posted here!!

I'm happy as cream to say it's been 3 months now and I'm wonderfully lowcarbing - successfully!!

Still no medications, however I noticed a terrific improvement with the addition of B-complex and Fish oil supplements, as advised to help control hypothyroidism. I feel absolutely wonderful!

Again, thank you all for your input!!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-13, 10:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 182/182/165 Female 57.50 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default newly diagnosed hypo

I am very newly diagnosed and this seems so much bigger than me right now. Any words of advice on going lo carb? I have done atkins back in 97 and lost a considerable amount. I lost my youngest in 2010 and haven't had any weight issues esp bc of stress. I knew something was up bc I have gained 12 lbs quickly and I am not eating enough to gain. Usually you know if you are having too many sweets, etc.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-13, 11:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sorry about your loss.

LC is fine for hypothyroid, although losing weight with any diet is much more difficult for most hypo people, however not doing anything usually leads to weight gain.

Some people do better keeping their carbs to around 50 total. I would suggest if you do, make it on-grain carbs like fruit, sweet potatoes, etc. Eating grains can make autoimmune conditions worse.

The wonderful book "Wheat Belly" discusses grains and hypothyroid. I strongly recommend it.