Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1009   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 10:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

He says he has vitillago which is an autoimmune disease that depigments your skin.
  #1010   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 10:15
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 336/297/140 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBear
FEW are those who are 'called' and fewer yet are those who are 'chosen'.

I can think of some on this thread who have tried, like Rob, and a few I no longer keep in touch with who also tried it for a while. I think my son Starfinder is honestly trying, he understands the carnivory of humans very well from his extensive veterinary training, but he still finds it hard, and is not always totally strict, like I am today - but on the path, falling off from time to time- just a little as I did. He is only 35.

Everyone who is truly interested in this lifestyle will have an uphill battle against their acculturation. This is compounded by all your friends and family who will go to any end to try to get you to eat as they think you should. This is social again. Never underestimate the incredible power of the human societal culture and everyone's early training, it is what makes us human, and different from all other animals. The only thing more difficult to alter than you early acculturation is your skin colour... Hang in there. If I could do it, anyone can.

Hey- Michael Jackson even managed to change his skin colour.... sort of.

Only this time I'm listening to the man's advice!

I've been strict for 35 days now (but who's counting? ) and it's really starting to show. I'm losing it much faster this time than previously, since I'm already wearing clothes that I was wearing after 3 months on the diet that I tried to start in Jan 2005. Also, for me, being strict is giving me a vested interest in continuing to be strict because I don't want to blow it.

I think I've only had chicken 3-4 times in the last month, and some <1gm lunchmeat here and there on a couple weekends, but vary sparsley because I can really taste the preservatives and high salt. Outside of that I buy whatever beef I can on sale (mostly round steaks, chuck steaks, sirloins, lond on broils), lots of eggs and slices of cheese. The only spices I use are maybe a little pepper, but I like the meat plain for the most part. So far it's been easier now that I'm much stricter and I don't have the intense cravings like before, when I was using all the low-carb products.

And I've really gotten into the raw meat thing too. Matter of fact, eating a london broil bleu right now! Thanks Bear, once again, for showing me the path.
  #1011   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 10:30

Plan: Keto
Stats: 180/145/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 70%

WOW Bear, I just read the your first post. What an eye opener. I'm just sitting here trying to soak this all in.
It's what my grandfather always said (he's been gone for 35 years now) and he was a pure meat eater. I just never really paid attention.
Whoa, my jaw is still on the ground...
  #1012   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 11:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
I think Bear is onto something. And that is we were first "hunters" and then became "hunter-gatherers" and then became "gatherers" and then most of us became slaves and then we shopped at the A&P and now everyone just goes to Wal-Mart!

LOL!!! That is too funny!!!
  #1013   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 12:02

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

I have decided to forego cheese for a while, because of the salt content; see if it makes a difference. I have been on the all meat diet for a month now, and I've lost 3 lbs; not much, but with all the calories I am ingesting, it is a wonder that I am not gaining weight! This really works. Thank you Bear. I wish I had known about this forty years ago!
  #1014   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 12:32
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo*lite
Stats: 185/135/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Ambers Grandfather ate only meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber130
WOW Bear, I just read the your first post. What an eye opener. I'm just sitting here trying to soak this all in.
It's what my grandfather always said (he's been gone for 35 years now) and he was a pure meat eater. I just never really paid attention.
Whoa, my jaw is still on the ground...

That's interesting Amber, about your Grandfather being only a meat eater. What year was he born and where? What nationality was he? Was he a hunter or did he shop at the A&P? Did he live a healthy life?
  #1015   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 13:08

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Bear -

I know you said that moderate vitamin supplementation shouldn't be a problem on an all animal product diet, but what about taking supplemental fish oil? I personally like taking this because I notice a lot less joint pain/inflammation from my sports training than when I don't take it. However I have heard that taking fish oil can reduce vitamin E levels, and also other things like it can raise blood sugar too much and suppress immune function. So I take vitamin E, but I'm not sure how much good that does me.

But surely, even though the active oils EPA and DHA are polyunsaturates, they are in fact animal fats, so should fit in with the whole animal fat concept no? I've always thought flax seed oil was dodgy - for instance it is not really recommended for people with bipolar illness, but fish oil definitely is.

When I was a vegan (shock horror - it did happen), I got very weak and had awful health problems including depression and was hyperactive all the time. I added in fish oil and felt great so even though I ditched my vegan ways and went back to low-carb high animal fat I have kept taking the fish oil.

Thoughts anyone? Does anyone else here take fish oil?
  #1016   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 13:21

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Bear,
i want to report that i made the cheese eggwich today!!

Here is my results..it was a mess!! lol. i think my pan was too big (smallest frying pan i own though). The eggs spread out in the whole pan. When i put the 2 eggs on top, they started sliding off. i couldnt flip it correctly, it broke up somewhat!! lol
BUT..here is the good news! i loved it...wow chili powder and pepper added some yumm to it!! i love the consistency also, which is different then just putting cheese on top of fried eggs! I really thought it was quite tasty and will definitely make it again, maybe ill get better at it as i go!
5 eggs was ALOT for me..im quite full now! Is there a way i could use less eggs? like 2 on bottom and 1 on top, instead of 3 on bottom and 2 on top? would it work?? i doubt ill be hungry again till dinner..im full!
Thanks for the recipe Bear!
  #1017   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 13:49

Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I had the same problem making the egg-wich or whatever it's called. Top eggs just slopped to the side, and by the time I was done it looked more like a cheese omelette than anything else. How IS this different from a cheese omelette other than you don't mix the eggs together beforehand?
  #1018   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 14:28

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

why do vegans make all there food taste like meat i.e. mock pork,chick,beef if they are SSSSOOOO grossed out by real meat??
  #1019   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 15:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitydkn
why do vegans make all there food taste like meat i.e. mock pork,chick,beef if they are SSSSOOOO grossed out by real meat??

LOL..good question! how bout those tofu hotdogs? soy burgers? lol..never thought about it..but ya..they eat FAKE meat!!
  #1020   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 15:38

BF:

i am getting really GRUMPY!!! my body is craving all kinds of bad things today! i guess its my body trying to get rid of those carbs, right? arghhhh! i hate this! ok..i am gonna press through this ....
  #1021   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 15:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvest
That's interesting Amber, about your Grandfather being only a meat eater. What year was he born and where? What nationality was he? Was he a hunter or did he shop at the A&P? Did he live a healthy life?

My grandfather passed away in 1971 at 101. He was born in 1870. He is Native American. I've never seen him eat any vegetables or fruit (not that I can remember). He ate lots of mutton with grease dripping from it. He loved that animal fat. He didn't like it when my mom would cut off the fat from the beef steaks. He use to eat the meat with the most fat on it. He also ate a lot of jerky from venison and elk that he dried. He sometimes pulverized the dried meat and make pemican and fry it up with some lard and eat it just like that.
He was riding a horse up until the day he died. His eyesight was going just a little, but he was as strong as an ox. One day, I think he just decided to go. When he went to bed, he just never woke again. Didn't have a heart attack, or anything. He just went peacefully.
His doctors were always perplexed at his great health. He wasn't overweight, no diabetes, no plague in his blood vessels, no gout, no arthritis, but he had lots of energy. He would tell us stories from when he was a young man and running races that took days and many miles while not eating, but just a little water. He was a great athlete in his prime and was still very active in old age.
That's why when I read Bear's post, he reminded me so much of my grandfather. I knew that there had to have been a connection between his good health and his diet.
Amazing!
Sponsored Links
  #1022   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 15:49
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom
LOL..good question! how bout those tofu hotdogs? soy burgers? lol..never thought about it..but ya..they eat FAKE meat!!
I think I will try to make some fake veggies out of meat, eggs, and cheese!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Wed, Mar-29-06 at 23:50.
  #1023   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 16:01
Registered Member

Quote:
i am getting really GRUMPY!!! my body is craving all kinds of bad things today! i guess its my body trying to get rid of those carbs, right? arghhhh! i hate this! ok..i am gonna press through this ....
This is "classic" carb withdrawal! You should know that by now!

Karen,

Do you drink coffee? If I did not have my morning 20oz of coffee (with LOTS of heavy whipping cream) I would go crazy for carbs... this has been one of the best things to help me stay off carbs. Either way, you will get through this carb addiction thing. Trust me... it DOES get easier!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Wed, Mar-29-06 at 22:55.
  #1024   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 16:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber130
My grandfather passed away in 1971 at 101. He was born in 1870. He is Native American. I've never seen him eat any vegetables or fruit (not that I can remember). He ate lots of mutton with grease dripping from it. He loved that animal fat. He didn't like it when my mom would cut off the fat from the beef steaks. He use to eat the meat with the most fat on it. He also ate a lot of jerky from venison and elk that he dried. He sometimes pulverized the dried meat and make pemican and fry it up with some lard and eat it just like that.
He was riding a horse up until the day he died. His eyesight was going just a little, but he was as strong as an ox. One day, I think he just decided to go. When he went to bed, he just never woke again. Didn't have a heart attack, or anything. He just went peacefully.
His doctors were always perplexed at his great health. He wasn't overweight, no diabetes, no plague in his blood vessels, no gout, no arthritis, but he had lots of energy. He would tell us stories from when he was a young man and running races that took days and many miles while not eating, but just a little water. He was a great athlete in his prime and was still very active in old age.
That's why when I read Bear's post, he reminded me so much of my grandfather. I knew that there had to have been a connection between his good health and his diet.
Amazing!

Amber,
WOW! thanks for sharing about your grandfather!! I guess there are others that eat like TheBear..too bad your grandpa didnt leave behind any writings or a book of some kind! Seriously! He lived till 101 with no health problems!! I needed to hear this..that just gave me the boost i needed. I am on day 2 of no carbs and am having major carb withdrawal and was about ready to raid my refridgerator (not that theres much in there to raid)....this post made me stop in my tracks and remind me of WHY i want to do this...its good for my health!! I want to die peacefully in my sleep at 101 like your grandpa did!! AMAZING! AMAZING!
  #1025   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 16:10

BF:

Quote:
I think I will try and make some fake veggies out of meat, eggs, and cheese!

ROFL..Deano you are too funny! that cracked me up!! Ya, maybe ill go make some cauliflour burgers!!!
  #1026   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 16:13

BF:

Quote:
This is "classic" carb withdrawal! You should know that by now!

Karen,

Do you drink coffee? If I did not have my morning 20oz of coffee (with LOTS of heavy whipping cream) I would go crazy for carbs... this has been one of the best thing to help me stay off carbs. Either way, you will get through this carb addiction thing. Trust me... it DOES get easier!

i know! i know! im trying to remember that i will be past this in a couple days..its just like when i went from high carb to induction...cutting out the carbs kills ya for a few days...
Yes i do have coffee every morning w/cream! i was fine this morning...its this afternoon thats killing me...i went and took a sip out of the heavy whipping cream container to get me through it!!
  #1027   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 16:46

BF:

I'm addicted to this thread. I'm only on page 25, but I want to keep reading. I leave and come straight back to this thread.

Dean

You are hilarious! I read some of your posts and just LMAO!! It' comic relief, even you didn't intend on being funny. That part about pulling over, getting on all fours and munching on grass with the cows was really funny. I was laughing so hard, I nearly fell off my chair.

I hope this thread never goes away. Gotto read some more. Later...
  #1028   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 17:26

BF:

Amber,
i know the feeling. I am addicted to this thread too, its the first thing i check every day when i wake up....i think i might go back and read through the whole thing again! lol Welcome to the madness!
karen

ps..yes deano is a riot!
  #1029   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 18:38

BF:

Well, I finally got to ask the butcher for some beef fat. He gave me a piece about the size of 2 tennis balls. I put it in the oven, at 250F, and watch it melt away! I had no idea it would take so long, I would have asked for a bigger piece, oven time and all. But the result is beautiful, nice golden colour, and it smells divine. I ate the little piece of dry thing that was left...delicious!
Now I'm all set for frying my steak tonight.
  #1030   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 20:38

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Vitillago? A disease? Nonsense. Must be a brand name for a skin-bleach. All the rest of the Jacksons have very nice coloured skin.

I think what I said was that supplementation on an all meat diet was a waste of money- you do not need any. I said that if you DID take any, to be sure the strength was very low. Basically, every time I take ANY vitamin with B supplement no matter how weak it is, I piss yellow, showing that the body is rejecting it.

Rather than taking 'fish oils', just be sure to eat enough animal fats, they contain all the fatty acids of all kinds your body needs. Red meat/fat is a COMPLETE food. The reason you saw a difference before was most likely because you were not consuming enough fats.

Become comfortable with your food, and stop looking desperately for some excuse to alter the path, or find a supposed 'deficiency' which requires supplementation or frequent variety.

Pan MUST be small 7 or 8 inch MAX. The eggwich has to fit easily on a plate. The egg has to have thickness, which is why I use 5 ex-large. Try smaller sized eggs, or just 2 and 2. it is supposed to fill you up. Break the yolks and spread the eggs around on the cheese with a fork so the cheese is a completely covered by egg. Omelettes are whisked, and cook like a souffle, fluffy and bland- a totally different dish. You break the yolks and slightly stir them a bit on the bottom layer to make them lie down, and spread out the eggs you place on the top. Make sure the cheese layer stays flat as you add the slices, then the eggs will cover well.

Vegans are starving, and their body craves the meat-taste so much that they have to try to fool it. They are very unaware of the realities of life and living things: They oppose the humane killing of animals for food, but are quite willing to kill the more openly conscious plants in very cruel ways- and like to eat the plant's next generation- the seeds and fruit.

Please note: Fresh coffee is delicious BUT it is insulin releasing. It has the effect of giving you a feeling of fatigue after about 20-30 minutes. In some people it will prevent fat loss or cause a gain even on a zero carb diet. This effect is not caused by the caffeine. I think it may be the oil, but it has not been identified so far as I know, but I can verify that it does occur. I only drink a half-cup of cream-cappucino- early in the morning. If later on I feel like a bit of a lift, I take 100 mg caffeine in a tab, like Vivarin or No Doz, which does not make me tired later.

Slice suet (raw fat) into 1/4"-1/2" slices, lay on a rack in a roasting pan to speed the render. The bit left is called a 'crispy'. The resulting rendered fat is called tallow.

Last edited by theBear : Wed, Mar-29-06 at 20:40. Reason: add.
  #1031   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 21:02

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

The indigenous people of both N America and Australia were primarily hunters, and only partial gatherers. Ask an Aborigine what is food, he will list all the animals that he knows are around and can be eaten, then stops. If you then ask if there is anything else, he will list all the various plants etc., the implication being that these things are only eaten when no animals can be taken. Both men and women will hunt, although the men rarely gather.

Amongst the old Inuit, long active lifespans like Amber's grandfather were common, and death seemed to come as a choice, rather than an accident. (Stefansson)

Last edited by theBear : Wed, Mar-29-06 at 21:19. Reason: missing
  #1032   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 21:44

BF:

Quote:
Slice suet (raw fat) into 1/4"-1/2" slices, lay on a rack in a roasting pan to speed the render. The bit left is called a 'crispy'. The resulting rendered fat is called tallow.

OK Bear, thank you.
  #1033   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 23:04
Registered Member

Quote:
The bit left is called a 'crispy'.
Or 'cracklins' is another name for them. Man, they are SO GOOD! Especially warm, right out of the hot liquid gold! They just burst in your mouth! Mmmmmmmmmmm!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Wed, Mar-29-06 at 23:52.
  #1034   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 23:07
Registered Member

Quote:
i know! i know! im trying to remember that i will be past this in a couple days..its just like when i went from high carb to induction...cutting out the carbs kills ya for a few days...
Karen,

One thing that ALWAYS helps me when I am having carb cravings is eating some cheese. Just a bit of it is all I need. I have even resorted to eating a spoonful of straight cream cheese... and I was totally satisfied and all the hunger pangs just stopped. Try this and see how it goes.
  #1035   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 23:11
Registered Member

Quote:
Please note: Fresh coffee is delicious BUT it is insulin releasing. It has the effect of giving you a feeling of fatigue after about 20-30 minutes. In some people it will prevent fat loss or cause a gain even on a zero carb diet.
So, Bear,

Do you think that 20oz of coffee is not a good idea? And I thought drinking it without sugar was "progress"!
  #1036   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 23:40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I had the same problem making the egg-wich or whatever it's called. Top eggs just slopped to the side, and by the time I was done it looked more like a cheese omelette than anything else. How IS this different from a cheese omelette other than you don't mix the eggs together beforehand?
I made one today, and it turned out great! I used a small skillet. I ended up using 4 eggs for the bottom and 3 eggs for the top. I used a whole stick of butter! I used chili powder and some red cayenne peppers and white pepper in it, with real thin slices of colby jack cheese. When I put the eggs on top, I had to move them around to cover the cheese slices. Cooking on low flame is best, to give the top time to settle, before flipping over. I only ate half of this... seven large eggs and a whole stick of butter!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Thu, Mar-30-06 at 00:36.
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread