Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 14:41

Plan: atkins-ish
Stats: 398/391/299 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Question Ronco Showtime Rotisserie????

Ok, I should have posted this BEFORE I did my ebay bidding...BUT!!!! I just won a Ronco Jr. Showtime Rotisserie (I gotta lay off the info-mercials!!!) and was wondering if anyone here has this and if so how it has worked out for them???

It looks like a Low carbers DREAM, especially one (like me) that doesn't really know how to cook meat.

Anyone own one already?

Thanks,
star
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 10:49

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/258/129
BF:48/48/20
Progress: 5%

Hi Star,
My cousins have this at their house. They are quite taken with it and use all of the time.
Here are some pointers from them.

Get yourself a digital thermometer. One where you can set a temperature alarm. that way, when the roast gets to the temp that you want, you can find out right away.

Also, if a temp guide says oh I don't know, 150 degrees for medium, then set the temp for 145, take out the roast when it reaches 145 and let it sit for 10 minutes. During that ten minutes, it will reach the right temp.

Have fun!

Years ago I really really wanted one of those sandwich makers. When I got it, I used it a lot, then, use tapered off.
Now, since I'm l/c, I have no use for it or my electric hot air popper. Sigh. Time to clean out those cupboards and donate to Goodwill.

Alena.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 14:46

BF:
Default Thank you!

That's good information, I appreciate it!

Yeah, I have a bread machine that has kinda been feeling left out as of late!! But I figure since this way of eating is going to be forever, I might as well get some help with cooking the meat!! I seriously don't have a clue as to how to properly cook meat. The best I can do is fry some ground beef!! Ok, well, I've baked chicken before, but only "parts" not like a whole chicken or anything. LOL!!!

Anyway, thanks again!!!

Peace,
Star
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 07:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/240/180
BF:
Progress: 20%

I've used the Showtime rotisserie for years and it's wonderful. I use it about three times a week. I have also used the George Foreman rotisserie and much prefer the Showtime. You made the right choice. Another great appliance is the George Foreman grill. I use that every day.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 14:03

Stats: 320/272/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 28%

I have to smile, because I have so many appliances in my kitchen. I have a rotisserie from Sunbeam, it's for a single chicken at a time. I love it. I have cooked chicken, turkey breast and pork loin in it with success. It holds up to 5 lbs, okay because there are only three in my little family.
I also have a George Forman grill.....this is great and gets used the most. Sausage, burger, chops are all great, the fat is drained off as it cooks. My hubby love this grill.
I have a pressure cooker, it's good when there isn't alot of time, but I don't use it as much. My crockpot usually ends up just keeping food hot at a potluck dinner. (Hot wings keep nice in it) The bread machine is just sitting...maybe someday I'll get the nerve to try the low carb flours. My sandwich maker hasn't been seen for years, it's somewhere in the depths of the kitchen forgetables under a cabinet...could make eggs in it I guess. The mixer has enjoyed a comeback lately, tho Hmmm, sometimes the Vita Mixer (I should try to make nut flour in it).One of the best "appliances" is aluminum foil.

I do have an almost foolproof way to make tender roast beef for you, tho. I start with a 3lb or so rump roast, or sirlion roast. I take it right out of the freezer, and wrap it tightly in several layers of foil with a chopped onion and salt, pepper, garlic. Start it at 425 for an hour, then reduce to 350 or 325 for a few hours...2 to 3 depending on when dinner is. It's great hot, cold or whatever.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 04:54
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

I have the George Foreman rotisserie and I love it. I can pick up whole chickens for 67 cents a pound at Wal-mart and pop 2 of them in my rotisserie and it comes out moist and tender and delicious. I have also cooked small turkeys in it and they came out really good, too.
asugar
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 17:41

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 238/212/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Anyone that does not have the rotisserie...check out the pre-baked Chickens that you can buy hot at Wal-Marts in the deli section. Most of the time they sell 2 for $3.00. You can get them lemon pepper or just regular. I love it because I can stop there on the way home, they are hot and talk about juicy and tender!!! Get home and toss a salad and Wah-la!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 20:02

BF:
Default update!!

Ok, so it's been a while but FYI, I LOOOVEEEEE The showtime rotisserie oven!!!!!! I have the Ronco Jr. so it's a little bit smaller than the regular one but it's only me that I'm cooking for so it works!!! OH MY GOSH!!! EVERY single thing that I've cooked in this machine comes out tasting FANTASTIC!!! I've made everything from Salmon steaks to chicken to roasts and it is just AWESOME everytime. JUICY, FLAVORFUL and EASY...can we allllll say..."SCORE"!!! Definitely a BEST BUY...

Peace,
Star
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 11:41
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Thumbs up Hi!

We just a Ronco Rotisserie ourselves this weekend. We tried a chicken (had to cook it an extra half hour) and it was great. Tomorrow I'm trying a chuck roast, wish me luck! I can't wait to try shrimp or fish in the basket!
I also wonder how cauliflower in chunks would do....
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:09

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post I finally tried mine...

It's been on the shelf in the pantry since I bought it a year ago...

...and the chicken I cooked in it last night was great. Very moist.

I'm looking forward to trying some ribs in mine and a nice big pork roast too.

Donald
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 12:03

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

We have had our Ronco Rotisserie for almost a year now - I would give up the STOVE before I give up that thing!!!

We use it just about every night - chicken, cornish hens, ribs, pork roast, beef roast, steak, burgers, fish - just about every meat/fowl/fish you can imagine.

The only problem that I have with it is the cleaning. It is a bugger to clean. To ease the pain, we put foil over the bottom tray and once every couple of weeks or so use oven cleaner on the rest of it.

Also, the "fur kids" love the drippings over their dry food
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 12:06

BF:
Default garlic recipe

Also, for those of you who love garlic like we do, and have ever eaten Middle Eastern cuisine with the garlic paste, I've got a great recipe that has almost no carbs and is divine with the rotisserie fowl.

Let me know if you want me to post.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 12:32

BF:
Default YYUUMMM!!!

Yes!!! Please post!! I'm looking for new ideas!!

Thanks!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 13:24

BF:
Cool

OK, I will post it in its own topic (Main Dishes)

Last edited by upncomer : Thu, Dec-12-02 at 13:41.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 12:18

Plan: under 20 grams carbo high protein
Stats: 270/242/200
BF:26%
Progress: 40%
Default Re: ronco

I started getting rotisserie chicken at the grocery store for $5.99. One chicken made two lc lunches. I thought it would be much cheaper if I owned a rotisserie and I bought the Ronco at a home show here.

WOW! Is this thing great or what? Whole chickens are my favorite, although a roast came out tasting like prime rib! I made barbecue baby back ribs with LC sauce and it was heaven on earth. I use the thing 3 times a week at least.

I consider a rotisserie mandatory for LCers.