Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 04:30

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 218.8/210.8/168 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Hello from the Midlands.

Hello all

Well I joined about a week ago and have been reading up when I can so thought I better say hi, explain where I am at and post a few questions that I probably have already read the answers for.

I'm a non drinking alcoholic, 85 days now, so that's 140g of carbs each day out the window for starters. I've always wanted to go LCHF as I have reached an age where my body has simply given up the fight and piled on the pounds. I was 224 Lbs at Christmas, and as of this morning I am 207 1/2 Lbs. I'm a 5'11'' male and am aiming to be 168 Lbs.

Been 'sort of' LCHF for about a month, lost 1/2 a pound a day for 2 weeks then ground to a halt at 211 Lbs, I broke that barrier in the last 2 days following advise from here.

Anyway, carbs/ net carbs. Am I correct the difference is fiber and it is the net figure I need to worry about most? Fiber should be from above ground vegetables yes?

I don't exercise as such but I do walk a lot, I don't drive, and am taking a calcium & magnesium supplement for muscle aches which I have been getting since going LCHF, any other advise on this?

Fat/ sat fat (and trans/ poly/ mono). Should I be worried about the type of fat as most of mine comes from meats. I have received some cook books for this diet and will be starting to use my wife's Nutri Bullet for smoothies etc to increase fat from plants soon.

I started a food log 5 days ago, and was surprised at what I found. My ratio was about 41% fat, 20% carb and 38% pro. I'm now running at about 50% f, 4% c and 47% p. Reducing the carbs got me through the 15 stone barrier but I feel I am missing fiber and should not carry on this way for too long. Any thoughts on that?

Well, that's about all for now. Any and all advise taken on board and thanks in advance.

Rob...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 13:25

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you're off and running in a good way. Congrats on making a healthy choice. This is a great place for finding out stuff!

Quote:
Fat/ sat fat (and trans/ poly/ mono). Should I be worried about the type of fat as most of mine comes from meats.
Probably not. Except trans fats are bad, but you won't be getting those if you don't eat highly processed food.

You might enjoy reading a few books on current speculation/thinking/guessing in the medical and nutritional worlds about dietary approaches. Even easier, check out the website Diet Doctor, where you'll find interviews, articles, success stories and other references for a quick study of LCHF in practice from its worldwide experts.

So...I'm thinking the Midlands is NOT the same as the Midwest. Other country?

Best wishes.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 14:52

BF:

Hello Barb.

Thanks for your advise regarding fats, I don't eat processed food anymore (to my knowledge, I might be wrong, depends on your definition of processed I guess).

I joined Diet Doctor about 4 weeks ago and it was that site that finally made me make the long waited for move to LCHF, which is where I see myself now.

You are correct in that the Midlands is not the Midwest, I'm from rather damp England.
Hopefully in a month or so it will be rather sunny and nice England, but who really knows...?

I'm hoping to start my journal today or tomorrow and having seen other journals I see the importance in that.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Rob.

Sorry but I forgot to mention that I would be more than happy to read up on current speculation/thinking/guessing in the medical and nutritional worlds about dietary approaches if you have another link or advise on where to look.

I like to be well read and well informed.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Midland Ro : Tue, Mar-29-16 at 15:01.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 15:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Fats from animals have gotten an unfair bad reputation. Eat meats that are from pastured, not factory farmed animals, and they'll have healthy fat.

Not to mention, yummy!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 16:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Eat meats that are from pastured, not factory farmed animals, and they'll have healthy fat.

Not to mention, yummy!

That's a nice view on the World (for meat eaters like us) but in RL it is impracticable (at least here) due to cost and, not least, the ambiguous way meat (and everything else) is advertised. We have all sorts of symbols on our food that is supposed to represent one thing or another but dig a little deeper and it all means very little.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 16:42

BF:

Quote:
I like to be well read and well informed.
Good idea. I just started a Book thread over on the General Low Carb forum. So maybe in a few days you'll see a big list developing there.

Gary Taubes is the guy who compiled a huge history and disclosure about the dietary misinformation in the U.S. beginning in the 60s that has helped fuel the obesity crisis. Dr. Robert Atkins (my hero) launched the popularity of low-carb way back in the 70s and paid a heavy price for his "bizarre" recommendations.

Now there are low-carb books and diets all over the place. The science is far from done.

In theory, I embrace the idea of grass-fed, free range, kindly treated animal food. In practice, I buy the best I can find at a price I want to pay. These days, many poultry, egg, and meat producers are limiting their use of hormones and antibiotics. At our house, we are eating less beef, but continue to enjoy pork in many forms--it's cheap, delicious, and easy to cook. I pay extra for "organic" ground beef. Over time, the choices sort themselves out.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 16:52

BF:

Hi again.

It's almost midnight here, and as much as I am loving the input I am getting sleepy. Very sleepy, look into my eyes, not round my eyes but into my eyes, you are feeling sleepy...

I'll catch up in the morning :-)

Rob.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 16:54

BF:

z-z-z-z-z-z-SNORK--z-z-z-z-z-z-z