Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#376   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 10:29

Plan: modified Peat
Stats: 202/214/180 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: -55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51
50% is pretty easy to achieve if you eat full fat dairy products, whole eggs and use even average amts of fat for cookings, etc. But I think that the current LC trend of high fat is more like 75%+ and at that level, you need to be adding fat to everything.
That is what I am talking about.

Low fat is completely unacceptable!!
Non fat dairy products are just gross!!

What are you doing yourself? If you are getting to or close to 75% fat, I'm curious as to how you actually accomplish it......what kinds of fat you add to what?
You are right that 50% is pretty easy, I get to that without even thinking about it or managing it, it just happens, LOL.

But since I am stalled, I may want to try going up in fat, if I can do it without making my food unappetizing..........or having to work too hard at it,
sol
Sponsored Links
  #377   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 10:37

BF:

[QUOTE=shannone10]I'm so glad I came across this thread! I am currently in a quandary about my strategy for "the last ten pounds".....

Honestly, I think the "last ten" are an issue for all dieters. I'm consistenly consuming 30-40 carbs a day. I can't really exercise because of a fifteen year old major injury.QUOTE]

I have read so much about the problem of "the last 10 lbs" that I now begin to believe that it is forcing an unrealistic goal, unnatural to that body........
If a person has lost down to that level, and can comfortably maintain at that level, I wonder why it is so important to take drastic measures to go down 10 more lbs?

Is it possible what is actually required isn't more dieting, but an attitude adjustment?

Just speculating.........
sol
  #378   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 10:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/209/149 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I am replying to the question of how I got to my plan. I have been eating fairly low carb for quite some time...But I am full of inflammation and the dr told me now that starch and sugar is like arsenic to me.
I read in a low carb book that describes many food plans that Overeater's that I was a part of years ago HAD IT RIGHT. So I was able to find the CEA HOW group here and join...I am accountable for what I eat and have to plan ahead..It seems this is what I am supposed to do to get well..Glory33
  #379   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 13:52

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

Solly, it's been a few years now since I tried pushing fat and it was really hard.

I tend to fall at about 50% naturally so to go higher I was having to consume all excess fat on meat, add CO to everything (which is not great IMO). It was terrible for my digestion; everything sat like lead in my stomach and I'd get acid reflux after a few hours.
I also put on a few pounds of blubber that it took forever to get rid of.

Some swear by high fat but many stall and especially near goal.

Only thing to do is give it a try. Usually, adjustments to carbs and protein go hand in hand w high fat.......
  #380   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-11, 09:12

BF:

Quote:
Solly, it's been a few years now since I tried pushing fat and it was really hard.

I tend to fall at about 50% naturally so to go higher I was having to consume all excess fat on meat, add CO to everything (which is not great IMO). It was terrible for my digestion; everything sat like lead in my stomach and I'd get acid reflux after a few hours.

Only thing to do is give it a try. Usually, adjustments to carbs and protein go hand in hand w high fat.......

Hi,
That is about what I was suspecting. It would be very difficult for me also, though I'd like to try it as an experiment. I can't eat meat fat (mental phobia) don't much care for coconut oil in my coffee/tea, etc. And I do get to 50% without trying, and without planning.
Fat doesn't give me reflux or at least I don't think it does, but then if I begin to get any sign of reflux, I take Betaine HCL right away (even on an empty or nearly empty stomach). It fixes it within about 30 min, very counter-intuitive, but then I have a history of bad reflux caused by low stomach acid from years of very high dose H1 and H2 antihistamines taken for allergies. Took a long time to get back my natural stomach acid production.
sol
  #381   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-13, 20:12

Plan: Moderate Carb
Stats: 124/124/135 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Put me in the moderate carb group. I could never subscribe to the low-carb(<40 a day). But then again I'm not severely overweight so I never really needed to do that.
  #382   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-13, 20:12

Plan: Moderate Carb
Stats: 124/124/135 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:

Olive oil, avocado, nuts are probably better sources of fats then CO.
  #383   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-13, 11:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoledman
Olive oil, avocado, nuts are probably better sources of fats then CO.

Not according to what I've been reading the past couple years. Olive oil is ok for occasional moderate use, but avocado and nuts have WAY too high an omega 6 content. I follow Ray Peat's recommendations of reducing polyunsaturated fats to a minimum.
solly
  #384   ^
Old Wed, May-15-13, 13:25
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Plan: Keto Clarity & Atkins
Stats: 262.5/257.6/180 Male 5'-11"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Chiming In ...

Hi,
I'm Tom from Kitchener, ON, Canada

I've been doing Fit For Life (Natural Hygiene + food combining) for two years after doing LC for about 12 years.

I go tired of eating so many carbs even though I had success losing weight slowly with FFL.

So, I married the two programs!

I eat low-carb fruits from the time I waken and up until noon. I still watch mis-combinations (combining dense starches with animal proteins), but I don't
totally throw out the bread.

I'm eating about 60-80g of carb a day, usually with 30-50g of fiber. I have high blood pressure, so I need to watch the sodium (on meds for high BP).

I'm re-starting, so I need to lose another 30lbs before getting to the "last 10 lbs" issues. I will follow your posts.

Tom.
  #385   ^
Old Wed, May-15-13, 17:03

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

Hi Tom!

It looks like this thread is pretty quiet. Not very many recent posts. But, I, too need to have some carbs or I can't sleep at night. It has something to do with serotonin.

So, 50-70g a day works for me.

I reached my goal weight about 4.5 years ago. Shortly after that I went on anti-depressant medication that turns out to increase weight! So I went off it a couple of months ago, and dealing with stress, I just overate. So, on came the pounds!

I am restarting now and getting back into the swing of things. I've started exercising again, too. Weights and walking.

Good luck....to both of us!
Barb
  #386   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-13, 10:20

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsej
Hi,
I eat low-carb fruits from the time I waken and up until noon. I still watch mis-combinations (combining dense starches with animal proteins), but I don't
totally throw out the bread..

I hope that works for you. Personally I don't like eating only fruit till lunchtime, mainly because it messes with insulin and I have insulin resistance already.
I just started the Glycemic Load Diet by Robert Thompson, MD. He formulated the 'glycemic load' as compared to the glycemic index and explained why the glycemic index is flawed and doesn't work. My weight is finally starting to drop. Basically, he says just don't eat potatoes, grains and sugar sweetened beverages and you can eat just about anything else. He allows low carb wheat tortillias but I don't eat wheat due to gluten. I have 1 slice of gluten free whole grain bread a day. This sounds like a diet one can live with. His website has a list of foods and the glycemic loads.. He also allows sugar and honey which he said is low glycemic, and plain yogurt. You'd have whole milk plain yogurt, stir in a tsp of sugar and he said that is very low glycemic measure.