Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 07:43

Plan: Atkins/Southbeach
Stats: 315/225/200 Male 73
BF:17.6%
Progress: 78%
Default Fried Green Tomatoes

I've always loved corn bread, fried green tomatoes, etc... I 'm a southerner!

I read a few days ago where someone substituted pork rinds as a breading in another recipe, so here's what I came up with.

One bag pork rinds
One large green tomato
Two eggs
Heavy cream
Oil - I used coconut oil

-Heat a large skillet (I prefer my grandmothers iron skillet) to medium heat with enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan and then some.
-Slice your tomato in 1/8 to 1/4 slices
-Place the pork rinds in a gallon size ziplock bag and roll over and over with a rolling pin until they are finely ground
-Pour the pork rind crumbs onto a plate and remove the big pieces
-Beat your eggs in a bowl with a little cream and water (your making a hearty egg wash) You don't have to use the cream but it gives it a better consistency and helps everything stick together.
-Dredge each tomato slice in the eggwash, coat each side with pork rinds and place in the skillet.
-Cook a few minutes on each side or until golden brown
-Place on a paper towel to drain and serve with a little salt (I used garlic salt)

Just a guess here....but a large green tomato has about 4 to 5 grams of carbs with one or two grams of fiber. Each slice of fried green tomato is going to give you about two carbs, maybe...

I gotta tell ya, these are some of the best fried green tomatoes I've ever had. Stumbling on the idea to use pork rinds as a breading is going to give me a lot of ideas.

Cleave
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-11-08, 21:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 310/293/200 Female 5 7"
BF:
Progress: 15%

I haven't tried it yet, but I think it would be pretty good.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 12:16

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

My local grocer had lots of green tomatoes and I thought I'd try making fried green tomatoes. I found a simple recipe on the web that calls for dredging the tomatoes in cornmeal and frying in bacon fat. So i substituted a mixture of carbquick and resistant corn starch for the corn meal and tried it. Not good. The tomato itself tasted good, but the coating didn't become golden, just soggy and greasy and didn't stick to the tomato very well. Probably would have been better to broil a ripe tomato. I'll likely try this recipe next time. But in the meantime, can someone tell me where I went wrong (aside from not using a tried and true recipe)? Do you think my bacon fat wasn't hot enough? It was smoking, so I turned the heat down to medium. I was using a cast iron pan.

Has anyone else had success in making fried green tomatoes?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 13:06

Plan: ADKINS
Stats: 249.4/234/199 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 31%

Yum yes yes they are so good red sliced tomatoes are good to I just coat with a bit of salt ,pepper and powered garlic dip slices that are sliced thin in a beat egg put in olive oil and brown I do the same for pickles,all squash really all veggies meat like fresh turkey slices and pork cutlets ,fried chicken are so good to do to its just a good change for food variety.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 13:12

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Thanks for the recipe! Will harvest some green tomatoes and try it tonight.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 07:37
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

came across a recipe last night that did the zucchini slices this way....
made french fried zucchini!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 07:41

Plan: My Own
Stats: 215/212/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I've made some pretty tasty fried okra using soy flour and lots of poultry seasoning. I'm not a big fan of soy but you only use a little and it does brown and get crispy, and doesn't taste like soy at all as long as you use a lot of seasoning. That could work for green tomatoes too.

Beat an egg with a little water, dip the slices in, then coat both sides with heavily seasoned soy flour and fry in hot oil.

Also, it's very important that the oil be hot enough before you fry. If it's too cool then it will get soggy. On the other hand if it's too hot then it will scorch very fast. So it has to be hot but not smoking.

This works for onion slices too!