Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 07:12

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Why our brains are programmed to eat doughnuts

The Mail
London, UK
10 March, 2008

Why our brains are programmed to eat doughnuts

Scientists have discovered that it is not just Homer Simpson who finds it impossible to keep his hands off doughnuts.

Apparently our brains are programmed to leap into action when presented with the sugary treats.

A study found that when hungry volunteers were shown a picture of a Krispy Kreme doughnut or a screwdriver, the sugary snack sent the brain into overdrive.

The same response did not occur after participants had stuffed themselves with up to eight of them.

Researchers at Northwestern University in Chicago carried out functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) brain scans while volunteers were shown the pictures.

After the eating binge, neither image generated much of a reaction.

But after volunteers had fasted for eight hours, two distinct parts of the brain "lit up" at the sight of the doughnuts.

The first was the limbic brain, an ancestral part of the brain present in all animals from frogs to humans.

"That part of the brain is able to detect what is motivationally significant," said Dr Marsel Mesulam, senior author of the research published on line in the journal Cerebral Cortex.

"It says, not only am I hungry, but here is food."

Next the brain's spatial attention network locked onto the doughnuts, deciding they were more important than the screwdrivers.

Dr Aprajita Mohanty, another of the scientists, said: "There's a very complex system in the brain that helps to direct our attention to items in the environment that are relevant to our needs, for example, food when we are hungry but not when we are full."

The research demonstrated how the brain sifts out all sorts of relevant material, not just doughnuts, from a world full of stimuli.

"If you are in a forest and you hear rustling, the context urges you to pay full attention since this could be a sign of danger," said Dr Mesulam.

"If you are in your office, the context makes the identical sound less relevant. A major job of the brain is to match response to context."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ge_id=1798&ct=5
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 08:42
Wag more, bark less.

Plan: Meat.
Stats: 216/149/145 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Interesting! It never quite gets to "why" (or, at least, not the deeper "why" I wanted to see--why do we crave sweets at all?), but still, I love pictures-of-the-brain-during-x kinds of research.

I've long wondered if part of the obesity upsurge isn't just the superabundant availability of food, but the constant bombardment of our senses with images and other representations of food, which might somehow stimulate an actual, physiological response. And, of course, if bunches of us are insulin-resistant and eating carby food, then we're almost always hungry, aren't we? And therefore our brains "light up" at food imagery. (I wonder how long after the volunteers scarfed down eight donuts the "image resistance" effect lasted--my guess is only an hour or two.)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 10:04
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

So what happens when hungry people see a picture of a grilled t-bone? Sorry, but I doubt that research means anything about sugary or -- better description of a doughnut -- sugary, high fat foods. I would expect the T-bone to invoke the same reaction.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 10:49

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

It would have actually been a study if they had tried different foods. What a stupid headline, yes we are programmed to eat food.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 11:51
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Made me think of the hunters joke:

The brain is 90% sugar and fat so to a Grizzly Bear it looks just like a doughnut!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 14:10
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
So what happens when hungry people see a picture of a grilled t-bone? Sorry, but I doubt that research means anything about sugary or -- better description of a doughnut -- sugary, high fat foods. I would expect the T-bone to invoke the same reaction.

Exactly what I was going to say. Why would they only use two foods? If you're hungry, of course you want a food item over a bevvy.

I'd expect acculturation plays a part as well. If they showed me a picture of a grub, would my brain light up? I don't think of grubs as food (although they are).
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 14:32
Wag more, bark less.

Plan: Meat.
Stats: 216/149/145 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Well, perhaps the headline writer for the Mail isn't too swift, but the research itself didn't focus on sugary foods vs. other kinds of foods (my, how we all see things through our own filters, eh? ). Rather, it focused on food vs. screwdrivers and how/when food gets our brain's attention as opposed to how/when it doesn't. The release doesn't say how they settled on Krispy Kremes for the "food," but my guess is they wanted something almost everyone likes to eat.

Here's a link to the release put out by the Northwestern University in Chicago:

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscen...rselkrispy.html

And here's the text:

CHICAGO -- What makes you suddenly dart into the bakery when you spy chocolate- frosted donuts in the window, though you certainly hadn't planned on indulging? As you lick the frosting off your fingers, don't blame a lack of self-control.

New research from Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine reveals how hunger works in the brain and the way neurons pull your strings to lunge for the sweet fried dough.

Krispy Kremes, in perhaps their first starring role in neurological research, helped lead to the discovery.

In the study, subjects were tested twice -- once after gorging on up to eight Krispy Kreme donuts until they couldn't eat anymore, and on another day after fasting for eight hours.

In both sessions, people were shown pictures of donuts and screwdrivers, while researchers examined their brains in fMRI's.

When the subjects saw pictures of donuts after the eating binge, their brains didn't register much interest. But after the fast, two areas of the brain leaped into action upon seeing the donuts. First, the limbic brain -- an ancestral part of the brain present in all animals from snakes to frogs to humans -- lit up like fireworks.

"That part of the brain is able to detect what is motivationally significant. It says, not only am I hungry, but here is food," said senior author Marsel Mesulam, M.D., the 
Ruth and Evelyn Dunbar Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the Feinberg School and a neurologist at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

Next, the brain's spatial attention network shifted the hungry subject's focus toward the new object of desire -- in this case the Krispy Kremes.

"If we didn't have this part of the brain, every time you passed by a bakery you would have no control over your eating," explained Mesulam, who also is director of the Cognitive Neurology and Alzheimer's Disease Center at the Feinberg School. "If your nerve cells fired every time you smelled something edible, then you'd eat all the time, not just when you're hungry."

"There's a very complex system in the brain that helps to direct our attention to items in our environment that are relevant to our needs, for example, food when we are hungry but not when we are full," said Aprajita Mohanty, lead author of the paper and a post-doctoral fellow at the Feinberg School. The study was published on-line last week in the journal Cerebral Cortex.

Mesulam noted the research demonstrates how our brain decides what to pay attention to in a world full of stimuli -- not just sweets. "If you are in a forest and you hear rustling, the context urges you to pay full attention since this could be a sign of danger," he said. "If you are in your office, the context makes the identical sound less relevant. A major job of the brain is to match response to context."

The study helped Mesulam understand his own behavior. "Now I know why I can't resist walking into the bakery some days when I smell fresh scones," he said.

The research was supported by the National Institute of Neurological Disease and Stroke.

Last edited by OregonRose : Mon, Mar-10-08 at 14:34. Reason: typo
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

The report supports the fact that we're hard-wired to want sugar. Sugar is so important a chemical that the body has a mechanism allowing it to absorb every last molecule that enters the digestive tract. Everything else is absorbed via a counter-current system. That is, if the blood is already sated with fat, the body can't absorb more. I think that's where Atkins came in. But regardless of blood sugar levels, the body continues to absorb more and store it as glycogen and then as fat. Low-carb eating halts the sugar addiction but you don't ever lose the desire for sugar.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 16:05

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

Well, actually I agree with Liz. Because the study didn't compare donuts with, say, steaks, we have no idea whether we're programmed to eat sugar in particular or food in general. In fact, we don't even know if it's the sugar that caused subjects' brains to "light up," the fat, or both. All the study shows is that when we're hungry, food is more important to us than non-food.

Rachel
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
The study helped Mesulam understand his own behavior. "Now I know why I can't resist walking into the bakery some days when I smell fresh scones," he said.
This was said by the lead author? Holy cow, talk about non sequitur! He is equating visual stimulation in the presence of hunger with olfactory stimulation in a generalized setting. These two things are *obviously* different.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 18:29

Plan: none
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
"If you are in a forest and you hear rustling, the context urges you to pay full attention since this could be a sign of danger,"

Or a sign of dinner for me
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-08, 11:30

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
Exactly what I was going to say. Why would they only use two foods? If you're hungry, of course you want a food item over a bevvy.
I assumed they meant the kind of screwdriver you drive screws with. Of course there is no reaction from the ancient part of the brain - cavemen didn't have screws.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-08, 13:17

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz

Exactly what I was going to say.

me three on that one. i honestly can't think of anyone whose brain would be terribly stimulated by a screwdriver in the first place, so comparison to a donut is pointless.

but then again, so is the donut.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-08, 13:34

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 209/194/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Wow. Just confirms that I really am broken. Even when stuffed to the brim, my brain still sparks in the direction of food. Hungry or not...if something looks good, sounds good, or smells good...my brain thinks I HAVE to have it. Even worse...my brain IS what makes it look good, sound good, or smell good.

I truly believe that body size is most likely proportionate to a chemical (hormonal?) balance in the brain. I have never understood how some people are simply not interested in food and eat just to survive, where others are forever contemplating their next indulgence (me). I know that it comes down to a choice and we can all chose not to take that bite. It just seems so unfair that some of our bodies are truly working against us. I'm not in search of a "magic" diet pill to shed the fat, but it would be awesome if they found a way to balance the chemical imbalance for us over-cravers. Even low-carbing...I constantly think about my next meal.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-08, 14:10

Plan: Primal
Stats: 200/129/125 Female 163cm
BF:26
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Next the brain's spatial attention network locked onto the doughnuts, deciding they were more important than the screwdrivers

I don't know many people who are addicted to screwdrivers.