Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-01, 16:49

Plan:
Stats: 200/180/147
BF:
Progress:
Angry

Hi
I started the atkins Diet 3 weeks ago, let me tell you that it was hard.
I'm 5'8'' and weighed 200 pounds. For me that was the heaviest i've ever been .
Something that I don't understand about the diet is the fact that you can't eat fruits because it makes you gain weight.
But in my case I've always eaten fruits. I come from a tropical country where everybody eats fruits.
I my self have eaten fruits even before I started the Diet. I replaced the fruits for sugar because I know that sugar makes me gain weight. I even lost 10 pounds eating fruits in the morning. On top of all My favorite fruit are GRAPES, a BIG NONO for the Atkins Diet.
Well I can't say that the diet doesn't work. I lost 20 pounds with it but...Now I'm at 180 pounds and I registered my self in a All female Gym.
The other thing is that I don't do the diet anymore because I don't lose weight anymore ( for me is so depressing weighting myself every morning and hoping for a miracle) But for me it's so hard.
I eat almost normaly now and I haven't gained any weight but still I still have 33 pounds to loose.

WHY IS IT THAT I DON'T LOOSE WEIGHT ANYMORE EVEN THOUGH I DO THE DIET???
Does anybody have tips for me....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-01, 18:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Ginela, and welcome to our forum

Quote:
Originally posted by Ginela
I started the atkins Diet 3 weeks ago, let me tell you that it was hard........ Well I can't say that the diet doesn't work. I lost 20 pounds with it but...
20 lbs, in 3 weeks! .. .. Girl, you are doing just fine. It took me three MONTHS to lose 20 lbs, and I still have a long way to go. It is normal to lose rapidly at first, then slow down as your body "settles in" to the new way of eating (WOE). Joining the gym will really work wonders for you too. Don't just weigh on the scales my dear. Get yourself a measuring tape, and measure all over your body, your arms, neck, thighs and knees too, besides the bust, waist and hips, OK? When you are working out, you will burn the fat off, but you will be making muscle tissue. Muscle takes up less space than fat, so you may not see the weight on the scales go down, but the inches will be dropping.

The other thing to consider, especially if you are working out, is that you are eating enough protein. So many people just cut out all the carbs, but forget to replace it with good quality protein food - meat, fish, eggs, tofu and cheese. An average-build, sedentary woman needs 60 grams minimum per day ..... you are tall, and active, so your requirement will be much higher. Your body needs protein not just to build muscle, but to make all the tissues, organs, enzymes and hormones .... if you do not get the protein from the food you eat, your body will start using up your muscles to get what it needs.
Quote:
Something that I don't understand about the diet is the fact that you can't eat fruits because it makes you gain weight. But in my case I've always eaten fruits. I come from a tropical country where everybody eats fruits.
Fruits are full of sugar. It may not be the same as the white and brown sugar, but when it gets digested, and into your bloodstream, it is sugar nonetheless. It makes your insulin level go way up, and the insulin causes your body to make and store FAT. That's an over-simplification, but you get the idea. On the other hand, if fruit is something you really, really want and need to have in order to make a lowcarb diet workable for YOU, then maybe you might consider another program instead of Atkins. Protein Power by the Drs. Eades allows for some fruits, the Paleolithic diets are meat, vegetables and fruits, but no grains, pulses or dairy products. There are options for you. I don't have it right at hand, but I will post a list of some lower carb fruits later for you (sorry, bananas and mangoes are WAY high .. .) Remember to choose the whole fruit and NOT juices. Even "all natural" juices are just liquid sugar and carbs, yes lots of vitamins, but no FIBER.
Quote:
The other thing is that I don't do the diet anymore because I don't lose weight anymore ( for me is so depressing weighting myself every morning and hoping for a miracle) But for me it's so hard.
WHY IS IT THAT I DON'T LOOSE WEIGHT ANYMORE EVEN THOUGH I DO THE DIET???
Does anybody have tips for me....
Ginela, you are doing GREAT. Sounds more to me what you need is a big hug, and lots of support and encouragement. Well, you have come to the right place ..{{{}}}

If it's tips and hints you want, just click here for our Tips page .. http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips.html .., you'll find lots of ideas. Especially read Lowcarbing Basics, and Frequently Asked Questions.

Take care, and I look forward to reading your posts of your success!

Doreen

[Edited by doreen T on 14-02-01 at 20:33]
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-01, 21:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default carb counts for fruits

In Protein Power, (and since October '00 - Atkins also) you subtract grams of fiber from the total carbs given for a food. The figure you have left is called the Effective Carb Count, or ECC. Fiber is not digested, therefore does not cause a rise in blood sugar or insulin; it's the carbs REMAINING that do that! So you can see, by choosing wisely to eat high-fiber vegetables and fruits, you will be doing your body a big favour AND you will be able to eat more ..

For example, a 6 oz or 175 ml glass of freshly squeezed orange juice has 19.3 total carbs and only 0.4 gm fiber. ECC = 18.9 grams of sugar, natural of course. BUT, a medium sized fresh orange has 14.4 total carbs, and 2.9 gm fiber, giving an ECC of 11.5 carbs. The whole orange wins, hands down.

For this list, I used Corrine Netzer's "the Complete Book of Food Counts". You would do well to purchase your own copy of a good food counts book such as this. Not everything comes with a label and the carb counts printed on them! Atkins and Protein Power both have published handy pocket carb counter books, they don't list as many foods though. If you can't get a book right away, then print out this list, so you'll have it.
========================================

apple, 1 small, 19 carbs, 3.4 gm fiber
apricot, canned no sugar, 1/2 cup, 13 carbs, 1 gm fiber
avocado, pureed, 1/2 cup, 8 carbs, 3.1 gm fiber
banana, medium, 27.6 carbs, 2.7 fiber
blackberries, 1/2 cup, 9.2 carbs, 3.6 fiber
blueberries, 1/2 cup, 10.2 carbs, 2.0 fiber
cantaloupe, 1/2 cup chunks, 6.7 carbs, 0.6 fiber
fruit cocktail, canned no sugar, 1/2 cup, 15 carbs, 1 fiber
grapefruit, 1/2 medium, 9.2 carb, 1.4 fiber
grapes, 1/2 cup, 14.2 carb, 0.5 fiber
guava, 1 medium, 10.7 carbs, 4.9 fiber
honeydew melon, 1/2 cup chunks, 7.8 carb, 0.5 fiber
kiwi fruit, medium, 11.3 carb, 2.6 fiber
mango, fresh, 1/2 cup, 14 carb, 1.5 fiber
nectarine, medium, 16 carb, 2.2 fiber
orange, medium, 14.4 carb, 2.9 fiber
papaya, 1/2 cup, 6.9 carb, 1.3 fiber
passion fruit, 1 medium, 4.2 carb, 1.9 fiber
peach, fresh, 9.7 carb, 1.7 fiber
peach, canned no sugar, 1/2 cup, 13 carb, 1 fiber
pear, medium, 25.1 carb, 4.0 fiber
pineapple, canned no sugar, 1/2 cup, 17 carb, 1 fiber
plum, medium, 8.6 carb, 1 fiber
raspberries, 1/2 cup, 7.1 carb, 4.2 fiber
strawberries, 1/2 cup, 5.2 carb, 1.7 fiber
tangerine, medium, 9.4 carb, 1.9 fiber
watermelon, 1/2 cup chunks, 5.7 carb, 0.4 fiber
=======================================

Just a caution, some of the counts look nice and low, just pay attention to the portion size. A half-cup is 125 ml. Not 1/2 a melon.