Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 13:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/142/115
BF:
Progress: 10%
Angry Clothes not feeling different.

Hello Everyone,

I have been on the Atkins diet for four weeks now and although I don't have a lot of weight to lose, (maybe 25) I wanted to lose some for my upcoming wedding. I am very strict on the diet, although I also don't own a scale (I hate them) I try to judge by the way my clothes fit, on Friday night I was going out to dinner with friends and I tried on a pair of pants that I hadn't worn in a couple of weeks (before the diet) and they still fit the same! I was so disappointed. Some of my other clothes feel differently but others fit the same.

Does it take a while?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 14:07

Stats: 300/225/150
BF:
Progress: 50%

Yeah, it's true. My pant size has gone only from a tight size 28 to a loose size 26 with a 65 lb weight loss, but I've dropped enough off my legs, arms, and top to make a noticeable difference. But it IS coming off - that's the most important thing. Where is something else.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 14:11

BF:

Thanks Thinny....

I noticed too that my arms and hips are thinner too, it's just that you expect your clothes to fall off you and they don't. Well I didn't get discouraged, we all went to the Outback and I had my normal steak and stemed veggies and the other couple had "CHEESE FRIES" to tell you the truth it doesn't really bother me anymore.

Do you eat many veggies?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 16:55

BF:

Every day. Atkins' recommendation for a salad a day isn't an option, it's a necessity. And I normally eat two of them daily, plus steamed green Oriental veggies with either butter or olive oil. And now that gardening weather has arrived, I'm going to expand my diet with more exotic homegrown greens.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 08:57

BF:

Hi Thinny,

I noticed on this diet that it seems like you lose inches, my skin feels very tight lately but since I don't have a scale I don't know. Do you eat any protein bars?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 09:56

BF:

Hi, Cotygirl,
If anything, my skin feels a lot looser. I've been blaming wrinkles in my sheets for poor nights' sleep, and now I have discovered it may be wrinkles in my hide. But if your skin feels tight, check your water intake - you may be bloating, and need more water to flush your tissues.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 10:02

BF:

Whoops, forgot to answer on protein bars. No, I don't eat them. Not only are they too expensive for my budget, they may be too expensive for my health. I need real food, in fairly substantial amounts, to feel satisfied. A skimpy breakfast (which a bar would be) guarantees me a serious attack of the hungries by late afternoon regardless of what I eat for lunch. Do you remember the old proverb - eat breakfast like a prince, dinner like a commoner, and supper like a pauper? I've lived by this provernb for decades. When I don't, I pay. So do my weight loss efforts. Sandra
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 10:09

BF:

I hear you....the bars just make me feel like I'm eating a brownie or something.....speaking of breakfast, I just had bacon and eggs.....I think that is the best part of the diet, I can eat eggs and cheese all the time....

I think my skin feels more toned not really tight...I feel like I could grab less skin near my upper arms...How much have you lost and how long have you been on Atkins?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 11:36

BF:

There is a difference between toned and tight, I'll agree. After losing 65 pounds, my upper arms and back of my thighs are simply flabby. If I had exercised more, I doubt if they would be so wrinkly. But I'll still take loose over overstuffed any day.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 12:46

Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi there!

Just surfing and I wanted to add my 2 cents worth here....

Coty, have you taken your measurements? The scale can be REALLY deceiving a lot of the time, as you have probably noticed.

Exercise definitely helps to tone and to sculpt giving better (base)shape underneath, but I find at first you feel solid underneath and loose on the top.

I have only been with this WOL again for just under 4 weeks and was using the scale to judge for the first 2. The first 2 weeks were mostly water loss, so the scale was great for motivation there, but on the 19th of March I took my measurements...

Since then (about 2 weeks ago) I have lost:

1/2+" from my waist (give or take due to TOM)
1" from my bust
1/2" from my waist
1" off each thigh
1/2" off each arm

but my weight has stayed relatively the same. However I can feel my muscles tightening up underneath, which makes for a strange feeling when I walk because I can feel everything on top sliding around on everything underneath...

I have to agree on having a good breakfast because I was never a morning eater and it cost me 40lbs last year from snacking all day to make up for it.

You have to be careful of those bars from what I have read due to hidden carbs, but some of the more experience folks around here might have more info on that. Great advice on the salads and water...couldn't live without them!!

Sorry if I interrupted. Keep up the great work and happy LCing!

KC
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 07:09

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

heyyy my skin has been feeling tighter/toner while i been drinking lots of water.......so what is going on out here?

and sadly......i dun see my waist inches going down that much ...maybe other areas of my body are losing the fat....esp my arms.

are there any other ways to tell i've lost the fats?
...instead of trying out tighter pants..measuring..blah